It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Katrina Aid Pours in From Around the World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
While Abu Musab al-Zarqawi called Katrina "God's retribution" other countries offered aid and condolences to the United States. Kuwait has offered $500 million, the EU and Nato have also stepped up to help. The UK has pledged over 500,000 individual rations and countries like Germany and Italy are sending supplies ranging from inflatable boats to water purifiers. The Kuwaiti offer includes both oil and cash to assist. Qatar has also pledged $100 million and other Gulf states are sending aid as well.

news.yahoo.com
CAIRO, Egypt - Donations to Hurricane Katrina relief poured in from around the world Sunday, with Kuwait offering $500 million and other Mideast countries offering aid and condolences despite widespread opposition to U.S. policies in the area.

But the al-Qaida in Iraq group, led by the Jordanian Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, called the devastation across the U.S. Gulf Coast region God's retribution on America.

The European Union and NATO also stepped up to provide aid following rare requests for help from Washington, while the 22-member Arab League urged countries across the Middle East to "extend aid to the United States to face the exceptional humane circumstances."

Spain, Belgium, Britain, Germany and Italy announced they had started or were about to send aid and experts to the U.S. to help with the logistical operation of getting help to hurricane survivors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Further down, even Iran and North Korea have made offers to help with rescue efforts mirroring the US contingent that was sent in the aftermath of the Bam quakes that killed scores in Iran. The administration should take note of this generous outpouring of help from friends and foes alike.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 7-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government is tapping its cache of medical supplies - from blankets and beds to syringes, surgical gowns, latex gloves, bandages, dressings and even tongue depressors - to assist the U.S. relief effort in the wake of hurricane Katrina

Dr. Howard Njoo of the Public Health Agency of Canada told a news conference Sunday the supplies would likely start moving within 24 hours.

They'll be flown to a distribution centre, yet to be determined, in the southern United States and will be directed from there to the places where they'll do the most good.

"Our American friends are in a time of need," said Njoo. "This is just a starting point of what we can give."
Ottawa Aid

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Irish Aid

Govt to donate €1m to Katrina victims

05 September 2005 12:38
The Irish Government is to provide initial funding of €1million for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

In a statement, Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern said the aid will be directed to those most in need through the Red Cross and community-based organisations.

He added that the Government would also be contributing to the relief effort through the European Union.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

GULFPORT, Miss. - If Hurricane Katrina hadn't come ashore, Carlos Drake and Robert Castro might never have gotten together. But they did — and their story is like countless others across America: Ordinary people finding ways to help those who have lost so much.

Castro spent three days at his home in Houston trying to get hold of his relatives in Gulfport. When he finally did, they told him what he already knew from watching TV.

"'Hey, we need some help,'" Castro recalled his brother-in-law saying. "'A lot of people don't have food.'"
Helping Hand

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is good and as it should be...we are all the children of GOD and it is only ideas that keep us apart....the nilhists and extremists have a spiritual rabies and can easily be discounted, but when even your enemies come to your aid, well that is not only profound but humbling. Bush etal should remember this but somehow I doubt it. I just hope the American people will, and with grace and graditude.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I really hate to point out this rather unfortunate truth...BUT...has anyone else noticed the sparsness of responses on threads like this one that have positive news or a positive spirit?...After all the world's countries, many of whom according to the hard right, hate America as much as they claim us liberals do (bullhooey on that stinking LIE) have offered us aid including North Korea, Iran and Cuba but there are only a small handful of responses here...NOW go to a thread about shoot to kill orders in New Orleans or rioting or the horrid conditions in the "shelters" and the threads are overflowing with responses many of them reading something like...shoot the bastards.... or spinning like Lincoln in his grave...their support for Bush. It makes the responders seem less like independant thinkers and more like ghouls and vultures wallowing in the negativity and dispair, almost relishing the destruction. To be fair, not all do but the difference in the responses to the threads is most striking. Wonder why? Just thought I would point that out.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
www.alertnet.org...

The site contains a nice list of which countries are contributing what. Among the most suprising is:

IRAN: Offers to send humanitarian aid to a country that has labelled it part of the "axis of evil." "The victims have complained about the lack of timely assistance and we are prepared to send our contributions to the people through the Red Crescent," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've been watching different news sources and on tv, the only country they are reporting is briton. No Iran, No Canada, no Ireland, no Qatar, nobody except Briton.. This wouldn't have to do with the slapping of eachother's asses back in 2001 would it?

Bush calls Blair his best ally all the time..

I don't know about you but where's the gratitude towards other countries? Where's the reports on them?

This is totally uncool.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I saw cuba sited on CNN as offering aid an waiting for approval from Washington.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I saw cuba sited on CNN as offering aid an waiting for approval from Washington.

yes, aid and medical supplies. I laughed when I saw that... Castro's cute eh.

And I think that was a week ago.. Ok so cuba and england... Britain i'm sorry.

They even showed what britain sent in those cute little boxes... Chocolate, tea, coffee, and food in a baggie you can eat cold or hot! And they also let me know each box was good enough for 24 hrs!

Did they ever think maybe i'd like to know what other countries sent in their boxes hmm?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
countries like Germany and Italy are sending supplies
ranging from inflatable boats to water purifiers.

Good. Now how about having the government of Germany
slap their environmental minister upside the head. That would
be great aid to America (and to Germany). The yahoo said that
Katrinia was Bush's fault and that Katrina was due to global warming
which, of course, was Bush's fault. This anti-Americanism defys
science and common sense. #1 - Bush has only been president
for 6 years and the 'global warming' theory has been around much
longer. (even through the 8 years of Bill Clinton). #2 - Hurricanes
happenon a natural 20 year cycle ... we had a natural 20 year down
trend and now we are starting a NATURAL 20 year up tick.

Here's the German environmental minister's comments ...
service.spiegel.de...

I'd like to see Germany AID America (and itself) by slapping him
upside the head and then explaining to him the SCIENCE behind
hurricanes.
But so far ... silence from the German government.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
No Iran, No Canada, no Ireland, no Qatar, nobody except Briton.. This wouldn't have to do with the slapping of eachother's asses back in 2001 would it?

This is totally uncool.

Not true TL, check it out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, I believe I read here that Iran and Qatar both offered aid.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The Bush administration has accepted Israel's offers of assistance to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. In the first stage, Israel is to deliver IDF-type "battle ration" field meals, preserved food, water, tents, generators, baby formula, diapers and bedding. At the same time, a team of 25 volunteer medical, search-and-rescue and mental health workers will leave for Louisiana on Tuesday. The non-governmental aid is being organized by the "Israeli Flying Aid" group.

Also, Medical students unable to attend the Katrina-ravaged Tulane University in New Orleans can attend Tel Aviv University's Sackler School of Medicine.

In addition, any Gulf-area students whose campuses have been destroyed from the Gulf area may apply late for the University's Lowy School for Overseas Students, which is waiving deadlines and some requirements to make room for Katrina's victims. (Both the Sackler School of Medicine and the Lowy School programs are conducted in English.)

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Also, I believe I read here that Iran and Qatar both offered aid.

I said the news here in the states, like on fox, cnn, and nbc aren't reporting aid from other countries like iran, qatar, ireland, and canada.

I know they did, but they aren't reporting it, thats my point.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I said the news here in the states, like on fox, cnn, and nbc aren't reporting aid from other countries like iran, qatar, ireland, and canada.

I know they did, but they aren't reporting it, thats my point.

Sad isn't it. That's why everyone should get their news here.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Sad isn't it. That's why everyone should get their news here.

They had German tv, british tv, and the cbc here that I used to watch but then they replaced it with current tv which dumb-founds me because it's Not news worthy, it's all about new technologies and the goings on in pop culture.. Cheeses me off.. I guess now everything I get is going to come from news sources around the world on the net.

all three stations down here always do the same thing at the same time..
And they beat the stories into the ground!

And back on topic, not one of those news sources mentioned foreign aid.. This shows me that big business which is in the hands of a few top political elites like the republican's, dictate what news sources to report. And Britain being their best ally gets all the press when it comes to the topic of foreign aid.

Just disgusting...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is very heartening. I hope it gives pause to think to those who vehemently oppose US aid sent to "parts of the world that don't appreciate it." While I have no doubts that much of foreign aid is sent (from any country) out of diplomatic necessity, I think it still serves to tighten the feeling of global unity that is so often lacking in us all.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Indeed. i for one would like to the US take up Irans offer. They did the same for aid after Bam. It would be good for both countires.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I find it sad that the government has to decide from whom it will take assistance and aid, due to political reasons I would assume, when the people that need it the most and are still suffering would not care who it came from.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
I find it sad that the government has to decide from whom it will take assistance and aid, due to political reasons I would assume, when the people that need it the most and are still suffering would not care who it came from.

Exactly, and both parties are doing a shameful job of keeping politics out of it. I personally think that fema denied the aid and cut off supplies down in jefferson parrish because they would of looked like complete failures..they did anyway, and people suffered and died because the response wasn't there... Or i'm sorry, it was there but being denied because fema would of looked bad. I know canada had supplies about be flown down there but fema or rather homeland security told them no. I'll bet first people they allowed over was the british... And I know that for a fact because they were the first one's being reported. Last night only on cnn, no other news stations, did I see 3 countries being listed as far as how much money they donated to the cause. And that was only shot for 5 seconds, if that.
Nbc was reporting how other countries see this disaster, what they think, but not how they've wanted to help and have tried..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join