It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we Patent the USA and World Patent System?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
How do we Patent the USA and World Patent System? How do we Patent the Patent of the USA and World Patent System? How do we Patent the Patent of the Patent of the Patent of the USA and World Patent System?...

We create the most advanced computer system ever...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
3 really good patent lawyers will be able to patent just about anything. Then sue sue sue. The current system is going to fall apart sooner or later, too many frivolous lawsuits and judges that HAVE to hear them out. In Canada if a Judge thinks a lawsuit is frivolous and without merit he has the power to toss it. Of course I believe that can be appealed but Judges have a wee bit more power up here. In order to do as you want you need to have an excellant understanding of wording the patents as vaguely(eg as broadly as possible so you could sue just about anyone)

It may work, considering the amount of BS patents being filed these days, hampering progress as they are being filed not by inventors but oportunistic squatters who will then use it to extort money. It's a practice that really should be illigal IMHO.

I'm not at all versed well in this sort of thing so take my words with a large grain of salt

[edit on 5-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think I am going to patent fingers.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinitrotoluene
I think I am going to patent fingers.

Patents 101

Generally speaking, your average modern patent awards you, the inventor/creator, the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing your patented invention.

(now unless you can prove that you have originally devised, created or invented fingers, you're going to have trouble with that one)

The common example used is this:

You see an existing (patented) mouse trap design, and think "Yo! I can improve on that sucker by doing this...." - then you add a new feature (oh, I don't know - lethal injection or something) to make an improved mouse trap, and you then obtain a patent on the improvement. You can now can legally build your improved mouse trap...with one caveat. Just one, but it's a biggie.

You have to acquire permission from the patent holder of the original mouse trap (assuming the original patent still applies). Yup - you gotta get the originator's permission first.

So - who invented fingers?

If you believe God did - then good luck pursuading Him to hand over the patent rights.

If you believe it's evolutionary - then good luck pursuading Mama Nature to hand over the patent rights.

Either way you get my point

Generally, laws of nature, physical phenomena, and abstract ideas are not patentable.

Neither are hurricanes. Or herpes.

But mousetraps are.

(though if you actually wanted to include lethal injection, I'm thinking you'd need permission from the original inventor of said mousestrap, and the patent-holder of the exact lethal injection mechanism you wish to use....)

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hey thanks for that description of the patenting system...And as sardion2000 said I really think that sometimes all this dumb patenting is stopping progress...Also you missed something about patenting...As I remember studying, the government has the right to take your patent off you if it is demmed harmful to the state...usually they do return the patent AFTER they have developed it, or created counters to it :S

new topics

top topics

join