It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP wants Victim Compensation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just watched on CNN and they report that the NAACP wants the Fed to pay victims of Katrina the same way they paid the families of 9-11. I have a very big problem with this as well as with the 9-11 payoff. Let me explain in these terms,I am a person that makes about 60k a year and have very good health benifits that I pay nothing for. Now this does not make me rich but I am much better off than at least half of our country and I do not take it for granted.

When the Government paid off the 9-11 victims they paid them by class and social status and that translates in to how much they made a year. I do not ever want that to happen in my country again because I was Ill when I heard how this was done. My life is not worth one dime more than a man or woman that makes less money than me and by doing thing like that we just promote both racisim and injustice by social status.
Please try to see my point and help to make sure this never happens again.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The best compensation other than some immediate assistance to survive would be jobs for all those suddenly unemployed. Of course this has not been provided to all previous hurricane victims and the question might be is our taxpayer supported government going to start paying all future hurricane victims? I believe New Orleans had a population over 1 million. That would be a pretty big job program or payout. Of course maybe the NAACP is claiming only the people who stayed in New Orleans after being told to leave need assistance. I'm not in favor of any big payouts but a job program might be good for all those affected by the hurricane.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
The best compensation other than some immediate assistance to survive would be jobs for all those suddenly unemployed.

I believe New Orleans had a population over 1 million. That would be a pretty big job program or payout.

An attack..
A war..
And a million jobs in the military industrial complex!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Damnit, Shroud!!
Don't go there!

Anyone here ever read "Redstorm Rising"?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Hate to ask but whats the NAACP?

Do they have any idea where the Fed goverment in your country get their money from?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
his is the mission statement of the NAACP
The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

I have not always agreed with these guys but like affirmitive action they are a needed evil to help equalize.
Yes helping these people find jobs would be the right thing to do because they will need a hand up not a hand out.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Victim Compensation? Getting a payoff for not following a mandatory evacuation order?

I am all for helping these people relocate and get their lives back in order. But cutting them a check like the victims of 9/11 is not a reality.

The NAACP is just a racist organization and whatever they say should not be taken seriously.

The biggest problem with the NAACP, is when a colored person does advance they are called an "Uncle Tom" or worse.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Victim Compensation? Getting a payoff for not following a mandatory evacuation order?

That is the thing, the people who were stuck there were most likey living in the ghetto, without a car.. Or bus money...

How tf are they suppost to get out of there??

and yes, NO is about 28% poor more than that national average for a city.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Originally posted by Carseller4

That is the thing, the people who were stuck there were most likey living in the ghetto, without a car.. Or bus money...

How tf are they suppost to get out of there??

and yes, NO is about 28% poor more than that national average for a city.

If so many of them didnt have transportation then how come in literally every picture of the devastation there are cars in the flooded streets. The city could have also enforced the mandatory evacuation instead of assuming people would leave on their own. Just look at all the bogged down school buses that could have been used for evacuation before the storm hit

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I believe that there should be assistance given to the victims/refugees of Katrina.

Providing immediate housing, heath care, food, and water for all involved/affected, you know . . . the obvious humanitarian assistance needed in the short-term.

BUT, as for long-term assistance, I don't feel that simply cutting checks is for the good of the whole.

My thoughts run closer to the "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" approach.

By simply giving out money, with no true accountability/reuqirements, you won't be helping to improve the overall situation, but moreso maintaining the status quo.

Yes, initially "handouts" will be needed to help get folks back on their feet, but after that help them find employment/income earning potential and to become a contributor to society as opposed to simply drawing off of society.

Many people within this country have been receiving handouts for way to long, with little or no accountability or requirements. IMO this just creates a complacent mentality. Why should I go find work when the next check, foodstamps, etc. will be here in a week or so.?!

Don't get me wrong! I have no problem with my taxes going to provide assistance for those who are truly in need of said assistance. My problem starts with the complacent atmosphere that these handouts create with so many recipients.

I'll gladly help you get back on your feet, get a job, and even relocate, if that's what is necessary for you to become a contributor to society.

BUT, if you expect me to simply cut you a check twice a month, etc. you're knocking on the wrong door.

IMO everyone has something to contribute to society as a whole, no matter how small that contribution may be.

Also, I feel that when someone feels as if they are a contributor it has a profound effect on their moral so to speak. Morality, integrity, confidence, independence . . . when these seeds are planted they tend to take root and grow which has an overflow effect on those around you.

When people think/feel they truly have a chance to better their current situation I have to think that virtually any human being will take that and run with it.

Without that feeling of hope? . . . when's the next check coming?!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
The best compensation other than some immediate assistance
to survive would be jobs for all those suddenly unemployed.

Many weren't employeed to begin with. But yes .. the best thing would
be relocation and JOBS. No unending hand outs. Once relocation and
stabilization has occurred ... if you want food ... gotta' work for it like
the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
I believe that there should be assistance given to the victims/refugees of Katrina.

Providing immediate housing, heath care, food, and water for all involved/affected, you know . . . the obvious humanitarian assistance needed in the short-term.

My thoughts run closer to the "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" approach.

I'll gladly help you get back on your feet, get a job, and even relocate, if that's what is necessary for you to become a contributor to society.

BUT, if you expect me to simply cut you a check twice a month, etc. you're knocking on the wrong door.

Also, I feel that when someone feels as if they are a contributor it has a profound effect on their moral so to speak. Morality, integrity, confidence, independence . . . when these seeds are planted they tend to take root and grow which has an overflow effect on those around you.

When people think/feel they truly have a chance to better their current situation I have to think that virtually any human being will take that and run with it

That was a very good post, 12m8keall2c.

Hopefully most of the evacuees will take this opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade. This is an excellent opportunity to put all their past failures behind them, and have a brand new start. I know it's difficult to be uprooted from your home, and going to a different part of the country can be frightening. But they can't go back, so they must push forward.

join