It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assyria/Persian(Iran), Axum(Ethiopia) and Maya/Toltec(Mexico)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
...had something in common because of these symbols:

This is a stone-frieze photographed by Teobert Maler found somewhere in the Yucatan. He photographed it sometime in the the early 1900's. This is just the close-up of the erupting volcano of the stone-frieze. Other portions include a sinking step pyramid, a drowning man and a man escaping the flood by boat.

This is one rock-hewn beam from one of the rock-hewn Churches of Lilabela, Ethiopia, also known as the ancient city of Axum. Take note of the erupting volcano symbol on the beam. All four sides of the beam have this carved image. The exterior contruction of the church of St. George, which is carved as a Greek Cross is very significant to the next image. The three triangles on the beam are also related in this next image.

This was a ceramic object unearthed at Susa. The stratum was dated around 3200 B.C. Susa is thought to be one of the oldest cities in the world. It became a polical center of Elam in the fourth millennium. The Assurian king Assurbanipal destroyed the Elamite capital and then it was rebuilt later by the Persian king Darius the Great. The ceramic disc contains the famous Greek Cross surrounded by three triple triangles surrounded by triple combs. This object connects to Axum and Axum connects to the Maya. The next image will connect the three regions together.

This is a Preclassic Olmec bas-relief found at Chalcatzingo, south of Puebla.
This monument is named El Rey, named for the ruler figure. The site may have been founded around 1500 B.C. At the top of the image are three comb-like clouds with feet prints headed for them. The cave seems to be erupting in a similar fasion the Yucatan stone-frieze is erupting. The third element of similarity seems to be the fire cross seated on top of the cave. The fire depicts a bright illumination such as would a multiple cross symbol.
The four bullseyes might have some association with the Foo Fighters seen during World War II. Hitler was searching for secret knowledge of the ancient world, incuding Atlantis.

Here's a topside view of the rock-hewn Church of St. George at Lilabela Ethiopia. You can clearly see the Greek style Cross. This cross is exactly the same as the cross found on the ceramic piece at Susa. This dual cross symbol has also been found in caves near Cuba (The Isle of Youth).

Were these civilizations in contact with each other in ancient times or was there one civilization ruling over all three?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
Were these civilizations in contact with each other in ancient times or was there one civilization ruling over all three?

Keep in mind that symbols and drawings are very universal... They dont really have to have much to do with each other even if they are nearly identical. If I drew a simple mountain you would probably understand what it was, because you would draw it in a similar manner.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
My little brother has drawn things that look like these...

Is he in contact with them as well?

It's a pattern, which are similar to one another. It's not like the exact same image. Also if they were in contact they would have to understand one another. Yet I see no mention of them in any of the texts we have or a translation of the languages. Yet the Greek's and Roman's had such artifacts as did many groups to help teach one another...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here's what the Cuban Cross looks like that was found in a cave on the Isle of Youth:

The main cross has a triple cross pattern similar to the one found in Ethiopia and Iran. Obviously this artwork done by the natives on the Isle of Youth knew the same story as those in Chalcatzingo with the Preclassic Olmec bas-relief. The four bullseye patterns are common in both works. The exact location of Chalcatzingo is in the Mexican highlands between Cuernavaca and Puebla to the south of the great mountain Popocatepetl.

There is a mysterious story to the building of the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, which include the participation of angels in the night work. There is another mystery to the Central American's source of knowledge on how to build the great temples. These symbols might be telling a story as to when a great era came to an end.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The main cross has a triple cross pattern similar to the one found in Ethiopia and Iran.

As others have pointed out, these are very common designs in all cultures and at all times. You can see them in Goth tatoos, but that doesn't mean anything significant connecting Goths to lost civilizations.

Obviously this artwork done by the natives on the Isle of Youth knew the same story as those in Chalcatzingo with the Preclassic Olmec bas-relief.

In fact, they don't. They were done by the ancestors of the present-day Taino Indians.
www.centrelink.org...

The four bullseye patterns are common in both works. The exact location of Chalcatzingo is in the Mexican highlands between Cuernavaca and Puebla to the south of the great mountain Popocatepetl.

Bullseye patterns are common everywhere.

By the way, the panel has been painted on at two different times with at least a hundred years between the first painting (which were of three red "bullseye" patterns. In most primitive art, these represent calendars or journeys.) There appears to be still older art under the left branch of the "star." The bullseye to the lower right appears to have a dual set of lines emerging from it that are partly covered by the cross, which was painted over it at a much later date.

(I'm interested in rock art and have been researching it and belong to a rock art preservation and documentation society)

So, whatever was meant by the first drawings (the red ones) was not the same thing meant by the later drawings. Because art is sacred and transformational to these people, the red bullseyes may not have been a part of the whole meaning for the person who painted the cross and the multicolored bullseye.

You might like to do some reading on rock art and rock art styles so that you can see what I see when I examine these photographs. I recommend starting with this page, which is the home page of the society I'm involved with:
www.rockart.org...

There is a mysterious story to the building of the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, which include the participation of angels in the night work. There is another mystery to the Central American's source of knowledge on how to build the great temples. These symbols might be telling a story as to when a great era came to an end.

The Lalbela stories are local myths. The churches were built, in fact, by a ruler named Lalibela in the 12th century, using stonemason tools commonly available in the 1100s (the age of the great castles of Europe):
portal.unesco.org...=26082&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

So they went up long, LONG after the Olmecs and Mayans and others learned to do stonework.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I am quite fascinated in the great stone builders of ancient times. Thought there might be a connection into how these different cultures built giant monuments in more ancient days than in the more recent eras. Was hoping to find clues that the math and science was taught by an influencial people who traveled the globe in ancient times. Then at some point everybody all over the globe forgot how to build these giant monuments.

I also wanted to add some more detail to the beam at the rock-hewn church of Lalibela. I think that beam is located in the Church of St. Mary. What is interesting about this church is that there are ancient Swastikas etched into the stone walls and made as windows. The arches above the beams with the volcano symbol have different decrative cirlce patterns upon them. Upon a certain archway there appears to be multiple (more than four) alternating and overlapping bulls-eyes. I know this has to be a coincidence. I'll have to get a snap shot of it and post it here.

Thanks for the input on the cave artwork Byrd. I know its hard to create a real picture of what happened in history with just a few symbols painted next to each other. The Olmec cave drawing is another thing and I think there is more to the drawing than meets the eye. I think the bas-relief is hidding an amazing story that really happened and we don't know how to interpret it yet.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
A week ago I went to the lava tubes near Tule Lake in Northern California and I had the opportunity to see the nearby Petroglyphs done by the original native americans to this region. The last known american indians to inhabit this region are the Modoc and I didn't find out if they took credit for the Petroglyphs on the cliff. There was a vast amount of drawings along the bottom of the cliff, which are now protected by a fence so tourists can't touch them. Here's a shot of one I took when I was there. The image is cropped of course. I have three more photos which are much larger and if anyone would like I could e-mail them to you via U2U. Does anyone know what they mean?

[edit on 7-9-2005 by lostinspace]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Does anyone know what they mean?

Hard to say from your photos (I'll have to take a trip out there someday!) -- you've got part of a larger panel there (judging from other sites on these petroglyphs.)

Here's some basic info on the Tule Lake site:
www.nps.gov...

They're pretty certain that it wasn't the ancestors of a modern-day tribe -- the petroglyphs are the oldest part and the pictographs (paintings) are younger and show some relation to rock art done by the Chumash.

It may not be possible to ever decode this -- it could be "calendar rounds" (pictures of what happened one year) or shamanic prayers (this type of material occurs far south in Inscription Canyon) or... well, we don't know.

But isn't it fascinating? Check the California BLM site for other sites that would be accessible to you and remember -- their directions are BAD! Take maps and a compass! And don't believe the mileage indicators!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My grandfather actually told me about similar designs, that they would use [he is Native American.] and patterns such as this would exist when you had two tribes who would split up and wonder off different ways but have an almost set route.

Basically, they would each have an area to "mark" normally in a cave or some-such and when they had been there, they would leave just a simple mark as a way of saying they were there. They would then also leave something [that could go off or rot] so they could tell when they were last their or an item of some sort [gift] so that they would not over-hunt the area and to let them know the other members had been their and already taken from nature.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Looks like a Von Dainken rocket ship....

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enkis_my_hero

Looks like a Von Dainken rocket ship....
´
Yes, with three flying jellyfish dropping bombs on it.

Sort of like Space Invaders.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

The building of the Gothic cathedrals, Chartres in particular, and all of them to a lesser degree, are still not totally understood. Over about 150 years, all across Europe, these incredibly engineered edifices sprang up with virtually no precedent. The style was a radically new one, and the dimensions and component ratios are all very advanced. I read that they did not use blueprints, and the foreman kept the design in his head. Posts, ropes, knots, and equinoctal solar shadows were all that they used to lay out the structures. The stained glass is also not well understood, specifically the red glass, which as far as I know, when some needed replacement, could not be duplicated. In Chartres, the dimensions themselves, the height, width, and length, are almost identical to significant terrestrial figures. I cannot recall much but one was the speed of the rotation of the planet at ground level, which was found represented in Chartres. I think it is apt that the Lalibela marvels were built at the same time. One legend states that that time was also when European Knights went to Ethiopia and came back with the Ark of the Covenant. Of course that is but one of many stories of what became of it. Oak Island, in Nova Scotia has even been proposed as a possible location where the Ark was hidden. In Axum, in the Ethiopian highlands, the locals say that the Ark is still there, in a small church, guarded by a single holy man.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This is a Phoenician Mosaic found at Tunis

www.werkes.com...

If there might be any relationship between the symbols found on these different continents of the ancient world, I would bet the Phoenicians or their predecessors were responsible.

To my understanding this symbol represents the god Tammuz to the Phoenicians or known as the mystic Tau to the Chaldeans and the Egyptians.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Due to a request I am reposting the images from the opening post because the original ones are no longer linked.

Here is the opening post with images and corrections. Some of my views have changed since I posted this thread back in 2005. I still believe the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela are one of the most amazing achievements of mankind.

Assyria/Persian (Iran), Axum (Ethiopia) and Maya/Toltec (Mexico),
Correction…

Assyria/Persian (Iran), Lalibela (Ethiopia) and Olmec (Mexico),

This is a stone-frieze photographed by Teobert Maler which was found somewhere in the Yucatan. He photographed it sometime in the early 1900's. This is just the close-up of the erupting volcano of the stone-frieze. Other portions include a sinking step pyramid, a drowning man and a man escaping the flood by boat.
Source

Pillar within Bet Medhane Alem. The largest rock-hewn church in the world.

This is one rock-hewn beam from one of the rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela, Ethiopia. Take note of the erupting volcano symbol on the beam. All four sides of the beam have this carved image. The exterior construction of the church of St. George, which is carved as a Greek Cross is very significant to the next image. The three triangles on the beam are also related in this next image.
Lalibela
Bet Medhane Alem

This is a ceramic object unearthed at Susa. The stratum was dated around 3200 B.C. Susa is thought to be one of the oldest cities in the world. It became a political center of Elam in the fourth millennium. The Assyrian king Assurbanipal destroyed the Elamite capital and then it was rebuilt later by the Persian king Darius the Great. The ceramic disc contains the famous Greek Cross, surrounded by three triple triangles which is surrounded by triple combs. This object connects to Lalibela and Lalibela connects to the Olmec. The next image will connect the three regions together.
The 12th Planet

This monument is named El Rey, named for the ruler figure. This site may have been founded around 1500 B.C. At the top of the image there are three comb-like clouds with foot prints headed for them. The cave seems to be erupting in a similar fashion the Yucatan stone-frieze is erupting. The third element of similarity seems to be the fire cross seated on top of the cave. The fire depicts a bright illumination such as would a multiple cross symbol.
Chalcatzingo
Chalcatzingo-El Rey

Here's a topside view of the rock-hewn Church of St. George at Lalibela, Ethiopia. You can clearly see the Greek style Cross. This cross is exactly the same as the cross found on the ceramic piece found at Susa. This cross symbol has also been found in caves near Cuba on the Isle of Youth.
Church of St. George, Lalibela

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Very interesting pictures here. Well, since history seems to be doomed to repeat itself over and over again, then it would be easy to say a single kingdom or civilization has ruled over the past age, just as it will in the near future. Which of course would tie into the NWO and other conspiracies.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
May or may not be relevant, but is a "bullseye" not the same as a "wheel within a wheel"?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by KingKeever1611

I couldn't agree more. A One World Government is soon to be a reality due to Globalization.

Civilizations are usually set back when major natural disasters happen and the erupting volcanos on the pillars remind me of that fact.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vivalarevolution

Since there was a dot in the middle of the two circles, a bulls-eye target came to mind. Call it what ever you like. We don't know what those objects really represent. They could be spirit guides or aliens. I think they could have been flying light orbs, whereas the one with an "X" was a brighter light orb.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Due to a request I am reposting the images from the opening post because the original ones are no longer linked.

Here is the opening post with images and corrections. Some of my views have changed since I posted this thread back in 2005. I still believe the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela are one of the most amazing achievements of mankind.

I'd tend to agree! I want to go see them someday.

Assyria/Persian (Iran), Axum (Ethiopia) and Maya/Toltec (Mexico),
Correction…

Assyria/Persian (Iran), Lalibela (Ethiopia) and Olmec (Mexico),

That's VERY hard to believe, given the thousands of years difference between the things you're showing and the fact that there's no interconnecting trade/ideas/cultures in these areas until around the 1500's.

This is a stone-frieze photographed by Teobert Maler which was found somewhere in the Yucatan. He photographed it sometime in the early 1900's. This is just the close-up of the erupting volcano of the stone-frieze. Other portions include a sinking step pyramid, a drowning man and a man escaping the flood by boat.

Actually, that's a very bad fake as discussed elsewhere -- and probably done by Maler or someone in association with the book that published it. The iconography used wasn't used by any MesoAmerican and the clothing... well, nobody wore clothes like that. Someone in the 20th century decided they wanted a "Great Deluge" legend "confirmed" and drew one using what they thought were Mayan/Aztec designs. There's no photos of this, by the way.

This is one rock-hewn beam from one of the rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela, Ethiopia. Take note of the erupting volcano symbol on the beam. All four sides of the beam have this carved image.

Has anyone asked the Ethiopian Christians what the symbols mean? As far as I know, this is a case of everyone hopping up and telling them what the symbols stand for rather than asking them about the meaning of the pillars.

This is a ceramic object unearthed at Susa. The stratum was dated around 3200 B.C. Susa is thought to be one of the oldest cities in the world. It became a political center of Elam in the fourth millennium. The Assyrian king Assurbanipal destroyed the Elamite capital and then it was rebuilt later by the Persian king Darius the Great. The ceramic disc contains the famous Greek Cross, surrounded by three triple triangles which is surrounded by triple combs. This object connects to Lalibela and Lalibela connects to the Olmec.

It would if the symbol were totally unique (such as a dodecahedron with a pentagram inscribed within it.) But a cross isn't very unique (they're like circles) and interpreting them as being connected and suggesting that people can't make designs by putting one line at right angles to another doesn't make sense. I don't think anyone would support the idea that ancient people were too stupid to weave (cross fibers at right angles to each other) or make crossed symbols or circles.

This monument is named El Rey, named for the ruler figure. This site may have been founded around 1500 B.C. At the top of the image there are three comb-like clouds with foot prints headed for them. The cave seems to be erupting in a similar fashion the Yucatan stone-frieze is erupting. The third element of similarity seems to be the fire cross seated on top of the cave. The fire depicts a bright illumination such as would a multiple cross symbol.

Wikipedia's got some of this wrong (I need to go argue with the editors over this) and the drawing is done by someone not familiar with the culture. The "fires" are actually maize plants, as you can see when you look closely at the photographs. I think it's agreed that the deity is sitting inside (or perhaps on top of ) one of the great monsters. The "footprints" are rain drops -- so it's actually about a vegetation god and rain.

Here's a topside view of the rock-hewn Church of St. George at Lalibela, Ethiopia. You can clearly see the Greek style Cross. This cross is exactly the same as the cross found on the ceramic piece found at Susa. This cross symbol has also been found in caves near Cuba on the Isle of Youth.

Crosses and circles and weaves and coils and a number of other symbols (like a group of straight lines) are very common elements found all over the world in various times -- including today's iconography. The churches being shaped like a cross was a common strong architectural style during certain periods in church history -- but it specifically relates to Christian iconography and what the popes ordered to be built. The other pieces aren't Christian and don't relate to Christianity. A single type of symbol is meaningless -- but if you found groups of the same symbols in relation to each other (in other words, if every single time you found a cross, it was always in a group of three and only the central cross has a circle and they are all enclosed in a box, then THAT grouping would indicate something unique that had been carried from one culture to another.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the dates, each one collapsed a long time before the other one arose... and in the case of the Christian churches, we had a lot of writing back then. None of their writings indicates a single civilization ruling over everything when those churches were made (or before then... people in that area have been writing and keeping histories for over 5,000 years.)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this old thread Byrd.

I agree that the cross is one of the most commonly used symbols throughout the world. Today it is associated with Christianity but the symbol has been associated with pre-Christian civilizations as well.

That old stone-frieze claimed to be photographed by Teobert Maler is questionable I know. It’s probably a fake as it stands but if someone finds the continuing portion someday it will be exonerated.

I found that photo of the rock-hewn beam in an African Kingdoms book. The paragraphs gave no explanation to any of the carvings shown. Much of the art work on the beams could have been added over the ages. It would be wonderful to take a visit there and find out what the symbols really mean to the Ethiopians.

The ceramic object from Susa is just plain mysterious. With no context to explain itself it is just art work. For all we know it could be the number 10, or X marks the spot. If you count up all the little triangles they add up to nine. The large outer one makes 10 and the roman numeral for 10 is the X. I love the three combs. I think this photo should be posted in hair solons. It would make a great conversational piece.

I don’t view those objects in the El Rey monument to be feet anymore. I know they are likely rain drops but I am now inclined to believe they are actually hail. The only fire object I see in the picture is the one seated on top of the building. The one with the “X” in it. I agree with you that there are five plants in the scene. The four circular objects are the ones in question. They could be spirits or something.

There’s no doubt about it, the top of the church of St. George is an exact match to the Susa object center symbol. Whoever constructed that church believed that symbol was a nice finishing touch to the top side. Maybe the three crosses represented a Triune god in which both civilizations believed in. The Christian Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit; and the Babylonian Trinity: Ishtar, Sin and Shamash. I am inclined to believe the Lalibela site was originally constructed to honor the gods similar to the Carthaginians. I still believe the Carthaginians made it to the Americas as well.

Thanks again for making a reply.

top topics

join