It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to 150 missing Britons in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Efforts are underway to try to find 150 missing Britons still unaccounted for in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It is believed that most are safe but have not yet been located. Foreign Office Minister Lord Triesman, said Foreign Office staff weren't allowed into affected areas of New Orleans and would have to wait until the Louisiana Governer gave her approval. The UK embassy has come under fierce attack by many of the returning Britons who were evacuated from the Superdome.

news.bbc.co.uk
Up to 150 Britons are unaccounted for after Hurricane Katrina hit southern US states, the government has said.

Many of those would most likely be safe, but efforts were underway to try and locate them, Foreign Office minister Lord Triesman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The first of 20 Britons have already returned back to the UK after having experienced the horrific climate of the Superdome. Some claimed they had bottles thrown at them, allegations of racial confrontation and the overpowering stench of death and feces everywhere.There is also a strong criticism of how the UK embasy has responded to the crisis.

While I sympathize with the plight of those who Brits who have suffered and those who have still not been found and their families, I feel the situation is a bad one for everyone who was unfortunate to be there at the time. The blame cannot be placed on the UK embassy with the chaotic situation that is surrounding the aftermath of Katrina at the moment.

Earlier on CNN there was a similar situation with the Australians and again similar sentiment that not enough was done to resue them.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Apparently at least one parent phoned the foreign office about their missing child and was told to call the consulate in .... New Orleans...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Common Sense Card:

They knew Katrina was coming.
They had the choice to stay or leave.
They stayed.
Oh my the Hurricane won.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just thought I would update this about the (still) 150 missing Brits.

A British engineer who helped to design a crucial part of the space shuttle has been named among 131 Britons missing after Hurricane Katrina.

Mike Noone, 51, and two of his children have not been seen since a storm surge sent a two-metre wall of water through their home on Lake Pontchartrain, opposite the devastation of New Orleans.

news.independent.co.uk...

top topics

join