It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't find a death toll, or numbers that are missing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I was just on CNN, and there is no metion of death tolls?

I wonder why, if anyone has this info post it here please and thank you.

Are they going to autopsy these bodies found? or just bury them.

Also has anyone heard of the total Economic impact on the USA?

I have heard of bodies floating in the water, but have seen them, not that Im sick, but its our history.

peace

[edit on 4-9-2005 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The only thing I’ve herd was the Mayor saying that there are probably thousands dead. Obviously this is far from a confirmed number but it’s the only one I’ve heard thus far.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It will be several weeks, perhaps months, before you get real numbers- if even then.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
According to Wikipedia:

Total confirmed fatalities: 1619 direct, 321 indirect, and likely more; 29,000 missing. 10,000 + estimated dead.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Total confirmed fatalities: 1619 direct, 321 indirect, and likely more; 29,000 missing. 10,000 + estimated dead.

If this is true that this many are dead this is by far a worse trajedy than 9/11 and should get the attention of more people.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here is a foxnews story.

www.foxnews.com...

WASHINGTON — Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt (search) said Sunday the death toll from Hurricane Katrina (search) and its aftermath is in the thousands, the first time a federal official has acknowledged what many had feared.

It is going to be about as ugly of a scene as I think you can imagine."

I am afraid the numbers will stun people whenever they get the job done.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by valkeryie]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Your probably not going to find completly accurate info for awhile, just approximations.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yesterday I posted that on their website the BBC reported 10,000 dead but I have no idea how they arrived at that figure. From the research I did I cannot find any official total. Although a senator (can't remember name) said yesterday on CNN that they believed there could have been up to 10,000 dead.

As Rikimaru says we will have to wait for totals.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Think about the logistical nightmare of counting the dead in this situation...

There was a large number of homeless and "dropped out" people in NO alone.
The majority of victems have been swepped out to sea or washed down rivers and othe water systems.
The infrastructure is so badly damaged that they are having trouble counting survivers, let alone the dead.

Add to that the media's habbit of reporting the most sensational reports AND the goverment's policey for down playing and I doubt that there will EVER be a truely accurate count of the total loss of life.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
One thing that bothers me is the entertainment industry. In TV and movies bullets are flyiong and people are killing each other with no remorse and CSI shows have people looking at dead bodies as if they were no big deal.

Real life is not that way. I just heard that some police and fire fighters in New Orleans have abandoned the force and left. There have been a couple of suicides by them. And finding dead bodies takes amental and emotional toll on people. Entertainment makes death and destruction out to be no big deal, that is not real life, it is devastating.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
That's alot of bodys, they wouldn't do an autopsy on all of them would they? What if one of the criminals killed someone? They wouldn't know the difference so the criminal would get off free.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I believe one very good reason for not reporting on the number of dead is because people are still looking for and rescuing the living. If someone had to stop looking for people in need and instead do body counts, that doesn't make much sense to me unless someone is creating lots of pressure to do a body count. I heard that there may still be people trapped in attics if they haven't already perished from the heat and lack of water. If I was there, I would prefer everyone spend their time rescuing survivors rather than take the time to count the dead. After the rescues are over, an accurate body count may have to wait to drain the water in New Orleans since some people might be inside homes or hidden by the water. Then, the missing people will need to call in or be tracked down to determine if they died or evacuated. This is my opinion though. I have also heard that many graves in New Orleans are above ground and bodies have floated out during other floods. It might be time consuming to identify a recent victim versus an old one after a couple of months but I'm not a forensics expert so I don't know for sure. I say a couple of months because I heard it might take that long to drain the water.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
They have to be piling up dead bodies somewhere... or at least tallying the number of houses marked as containing dead.

No?

Does anyone know how long after the tsunami we were getting body counts?

It has been a week and no official baseline number?

Sri Oracle

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
New Orleans itself was the 35th most populated city in America. Nevermind the other 89 million 999 thousand 927 square miles devastated. They have only physically searched about 4% of the houses in New Orleans. They really have no concrete numbers thus far, but best guesstimations.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think Every body recovered should be autopsied. the main cause of death for most will undoubtibly be:
1 drowning
2 exposure
3 dehydration
4 crime
5 I wanna know how many are killed by police/military

Have you every seen a natural disaster where the military are armed to the teeth.

Violence breaking out here and there is understandible, giving the governments response to this disaster.

for these people its been the end of the world as we know it

peace

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I have heard of bodies floating in the water, but have seen them, not that Im sick, but its our history.

If you are over 18 you can go to ogrish.com, they have a few photos.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ok as far as I know the maedia doesn't post the numbers dead as often as they used to. This in itself is a Big change in the way media has allways shown disasters before. We, the last I heard are at like 1000 dead from Katrina. haven't heard much about it since then media said we have 1000 dead.

I have seen like 4 commerals about missing children from the disaster....But where is the offical missing list???...how many are still missing????...we knew all this info after the tsnami & 9/11 ????Surely FEMA knows who is missing by now?????

peace

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Why does FEMA "have to know"? You do realize that counting the dead is a daunting task, right?
First, a comprehensive census of the affected neighborhoods needs to be assessed. Next, a tally of the people that survived said neighborhood would need to be compiled. Finally, simple subtraction would have to be done to finalize a dead/missing list.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

With as scattered as the refugees currently are, I don't think there will be a good solid number for months...perhaps close to a year. Is that really so difficult to bear? By the way, you DO remember how long it was until the final 9/11 "missing/dead" list was revealed, right?

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I heard on Fox News today that over 800 people are confirmed dead in NO but this is the first time that I have heard the media say one thing about how many people have died in this disaster.
Last summer the Hurricane that hit Punta Gorda Florida was much worse that we were told by the media.
My nephew owns a Tree Cutting business and he went there and he told me that there were white refrigerated semi trucks everywhere and they were marking all of the houses and trailers in red spray paint where there was a dead body.
I heard somewhere that many , many people were washed out to sea but I know I didn't hear it on the network news.
I live very close to Punta Gorda, just a few miles so you would think I would know more than this but it was hushed up like everything else is.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
New Orleans did not get hit directly by a category 5 hurricane. The levees just broke and the flooding got worse as the hurricane was leaving the area I've heard. Since the flooding was relatively slow and not like a fast hurricane storm surge, those 10's of thousands of people we saw on the news were survivors and not the dead we would have seen. New Orleans did not have a massive storm surge sweep across the city. NO just had flooding due to the levees breaking so the death toll estimate was highly exaggerated by the mayor as well as his estimate of resources available for the Superdome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join