It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I go myself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I've got a van. I've got some money. I've got the time.

I have no training in any skills that are needed and I'm not really physically fit. I mean, I don't have any disabilities but I don't have a lot of abilities, either.

My hesitation is only that I've been told "you should not go there - you'll just be in the way". I read a story in today's newspaper that told the story of some well-meaning folks who spent several days riding around trying to find a way to help (medical, especially) and never found any way to be really useful.

I could go but I might be more useful if I just delivered pizzas and sent the money.

Does anybody have any certain knowledge they could share about this?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It will be difficult and dangerous....Moreover, you will be most likely be on your own. (There is poor coordination now with those expected to be there.)

My bet is that in a month....the outpouring and desire to help will diminish...But, there will still be plenty of need.

Just make sure you are not one of them who loses interest later.... There are other ways to help.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The American Red Cross is offereing free training courses for volunteer relief workers.

They are looking for people who can commit 2-3 weeks at numerous shelters.

Your transportation will be taken care of, but they do warn that you may be working in very poor conditions.

Their web site has a link for volunteer sign up.

www.redcross.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies!

Good points. I only posted this way because I thought that maybe others would be considering the same kind of thing.

Anyway, the point may be moot since I learned today that we may be receiving about 500 or more evacuees into our small city so, it's possible that I can be of more help by staying here where I can use my local knowledge to assist those who are visiting us for a while. At least I'll have some expertise to offer if I stay here.

edited to add: I would never try to work alone - I was not clear but, certainly I would have only gone if I could join in some organized group. My thoughts were to go and volunteer with Red Cross or Salvation Army (do they take heretics?)

[edit on 4-9-2005 by Al Davison]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If you want to help join a volunteer group with the red cross or something, then at least they can put you to work and stuff will get done. People who are helping by themselves have been arrested because we all know saving lives is a crime if the people are black. It will also be safer if you work in a group.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
If you do go. And you see Sean Penn motion for you to come over and join him... don't

[edit on 5-9-2005 by cargo]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I would say "no" unless you have a specialized skill like electrical or carpentry or medical. I applaud you desire to pitch in, but I am wary of the Red Cross. These boot camps amount to watching some videos and shipping you out with little or no training and iffy backup.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I heard of reports of people traveling on their own to hard hit areas in Mississippi and dropping off bottles of water and supplies in small towns that had not received much help yet. I haven't heard too much about this though except that gasoline and all supplies are scarce so you better have enough to get back out of the area.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
NinjaCodeMonkey, can you back that statement up with facts?
You do not need special training you need only desire to help and learn because just picking up trash and rubble will be a big help. And then if you have no other skill you can help rebuild just by helping however you can. Go to Mississippi because these are some of the most friendly people you will ever meet and they will be greatfull.

top topics

join