It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Chief Had No Experience, Fired From Last Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Talk about a bad day for FEMA. New information has surfaced in regards to the chief of FEMA, Mike Brown. Apparently he was fired from his last job overseeing Arabian Horse Shows due to his incompetance. And now, we have Katrina to add to this wonderful individual's resume.

The federal official in charge of the bungled New Orleans rescue was fired from his last private-sector job overseeing horse shows.

And before joining the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a deputy director in 2001, GOP activist Mike Brown had no significant experience that would have qualified him for the position.

The Oklahoman got the job through an old college friend who at the time was heading up FEMA.

Brown - formerly an estates and family lawyer - this week has has made several shocking public admissions, including interviews where he suggested FEMA was unaware of the misery and desperation of refugees stranded at the New Orleans convention center.
business.bostonherald.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
And there you have it. So who was responsible for hiring this hack? No one checks references at that level?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There is also a video on CNN.com of an interview in which Soledad O'Brien completely puts this guy in his place.

www.cnn.com.../video/bestoftv/2005/09/02/soledad.fema.brown.katrina.cnn

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
And to make matters worse....

propagandamatrix.com...

So, we have a the head of FEMA who has no background in emergency planning and management and comes across as being utterly clueless, and then outsourcing of emergency planning to big campaign contributors.

Looks like just another "nice little earner" for a bunch of conmen

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

And before joining the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a deputy director in 2001, GOP activist Mike Brown had no significant experience that would have qualified him for the position.

I wish this was an oversight instead the actual theme in this administration.

He's probably going to get a promotion or medal now.

I hear Chief Justice is open. And Scalia and Powell's kid's already have handsome fed positions, so why not?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
On FOX they just had a story about a meat plant that had enough meat to provide 20,000 meals and the owner had previously registered with FEMA saying they could come and take all the meat in an emergency, but no one came and the meat is now rotting.

This is a sin, FEMA is a disaster itself.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
On FOX they just had a story about a meat plant that had enough meat to provide 20,000 meals and the owner had previously registered with FEMA saying they could come and take all the meat in an emergency, but no one came and the meat is now rotting.

This is a sin, FEMA is a disaster itself.

This is utterly appauling. You would almost think that the chief of FEMA may even be brought up on criminal charges for his gross incompentance.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
criminal charges for his gross incompentance.

We can only hope....yet, I doubt anything will happen.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
of all of the federal government jobs available, FEMA should be headed by someone who has experience with emergancy situations, not because he's a GOP/DNC anything.. This country seems to have lost all common sense.

there should be a huge investigation, followed closely by a major revamp of FEMA, throwing out the Incompetents and having folks in there that can understand and act in these types of situations before something else major happens.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This administration may or may not be a lot different from previous administrations - I just don't know.

But, I do know that in this one, it's so very much like the same countries that we criticize and condemn (and maybe even bomb) - nepotism, good-old-boyism, rewards for lackeys, etc. (Come to think of it, we have a lot of that in our new GOP Governor's admin - must be a new GOP SOP.)

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here's another Interesting Article:

FEMA Planned to Leave New Orleans Poor Behind

Emergency management officials predicted with remarkable prescience the effects of a massive hurricane hitting New Orleans; but they did little with their knowledge, other than plan to leave the poor behind.

Last summer, having identified a hurricane hitting New Orleans as one of the gravest potential disasters faced by the US public, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) staged a mock storm scenario and brought dozens of government agencies together for planning.

During the five-day exercise, FEMA envisioned that the fictitious category 3 "Hurricane Pam" slammed into New Orleans, deluging the area in enough water to top the levees and flood the city. Groups representing approximately 50 government agencies worked out action plans in July 2004 to deal with search and rescue, establishing shelters, debris clean-up, pumping water out of the city and even getting schools back up and running after the storm.

Though officials involved in the scenario acknowledged that tens of thousands of residents would be without the means to evacuate New Orleans in the absence of government help, the Hurricane Pam scenario teams did not determine strategies for evacuating people ahead of time. Instead, officials predicted that only one-third of the city’s residents would make it out in time and designed their response plan around that assumption.

Source:
NewStandard News

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Lack of Experience?, neither does the first and new Sec of Homeland Defence. I fail to see how that makes him or another incapable.

Most people have been released from a job at somepoint, so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how that would make a person incapable in another position. Perhap's the obviuos investigation to come after the emergency is for the most part over will be more telling..

Dallas

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's like hiring a gym teacher to code the missile defense system. Dallas stop playing politics, people are dying can't you see that. The government has done jack, they have denied all help and have let people die for no reason. They are all killers and need to be charged with murder.

Bush's workers will defend him no matter what he does, i must find out what implants he is using. I don't see how a person who worked with horses, and didn't do a good job, is qualified to run homeland security. It truly is a joke.

dh

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
He's already identified as the Fall Guy to save Bush's skin
After all the whole regime requires impeachment and idictment for criminal negligence
Maybe they already got that in Chicago , but the aftermath of Katrina just proves the case
These are genocidal criminals, and the Clinton/Bush Snr pairing to sniff around the scene of the crime just confirms it all
FEMA is just the Gestapo in waiting
Perhaps we are forced through a night of long knives

[edit on 4-9-2005 by dh]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I had this prepared to post, but noticed it's already been touched upon here, so I'll just post it in this thread:

America has paid probably it's heaviest price as a result of political payoffs in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"He's done a hell of a job, because I'm not aware of any Arabian horses being killed in this storm," said Kate Hale, former Miami-Dade emergency management chief.

Source: Head of FEMA has an Unlikely Background

Michael D. Brown, the current head of FEMA, was a poltical appointee completely unqualified for the job.

Throughout the 1990s, he was, of all things, the Commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association.

Brown's ticket to FEMA was Joe Allbaugh,
President Bush's 2000 campaign manager and an old friend of Brown's in Oklahoma. When Bush ran for president in 2000, Brown was ending a rocky tenure at the horse association.

Brown told several association officials that if Bush were elected, he'd be in line for a good job. When Allbaugh, who managed Bush's campaign, took over FEMA in 2001, he took Brown with him as general counsel.

After losing his job as commisioner, Brown joined FEMA and was appointed its head by President George W. Bush in less than one year of being a FEMA employee.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
ok, I posted this in another thread but it fits very well here also, I think.

Chicago Tribune: Navy ship nearby underused

September 4, 2005

While federal and state emergency planners scramble to get more military relief to Gulf Coast communities stricken by Hurricane Katrina, a massive naval goodwill station has been cruising offshore, underused and waiting for a larger role in the effort.

The USS Bataan, a 844-foot ship designed to dispatch Marines in amphibious assaults, has helicopters, doctors, hospital beds, food and water. It also can make its own water, up to 100,000 gallons a day. And it just happened to be in the Gulf of Mexico when Katrina came roaring ashore. The Bataan rode out the storm and then followed it toward shore, awaiting relief orders. Helicopter pilots flying from its deck were some of the first to begin plucking stranded New Orleans residents.

But now the Bataan's hospital facilities, including six operating rooms and beds for 600 patients, are empty. A good share of its 1,200 sailors could also go ashore to help with the relief effort, but they haven't been asked. The Bataan has been in the stricken region the longest of any military unit, but federal authorities have yet to fully utilize the ship.

Captain ready, waiting

The role in the relief effort of the sizable medical staff on board the Bataan was not up to the Navy, but to FEMA officials directing the overall effort. That agency has been criticized sharply for failing to respond quickly enough.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Deliberate or just incompetance?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder if this is intended to void FEMAs budget in the future and put it all in the hands of Homeland Security which next time will go straight to a military martial law.

FEMA has just proven itself worthless more or less and Homeland security is taking control of who does what (or who doesn't do what).

Is this the end of FEMA? Yet another budget to be added to Homeland Security cache of responsability?

Notice how we are expecting more military involvement, we want it, need it.
This scenario is setting a precedent to warrent a bypass of a FEMA agency and to go straight into Martial Law.

A Code Red won't be far away.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
HS was already in control and FEMA is being phased out.

Pilot Town at the mouth of the river was just about whiped out. The only people that can navigate the river are river pilots who are stationed in Pilot Town. If the Navy goes in with out a river pilot they face the risk of a sandbar or damage due to an obstruction. Pilots were supposed to have resumed by now.

Only Governors have the power to declare martial law to give absolute power to sheriffs and police chiefs to bring in military help. All other local officials are bound under duty of the marshall. It's a states right!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
The role in the relief effort of the sizable medical staff on board the Bataan was not up to the Navy, but to FEMA officials directing the overall effort. That agency has been criticized sharply for failing to respond quickly enough.

Deliberate or just incompetance?

Very Intersting Article.

I think it's both factors, Mixed - but more of an Incompetance to deal with such a Disaster Fast and Efficient.

Somebody is going to pay for all this....

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
on a lighter note about FEMA...

with Mike Brown in charge I suppose we really dont have to worry about FEMA coming to declare martial law and taking away our freedoms.

It would take them 3 months to decide what to do and then another 3 to actually do it.

<<   2 >>

join