It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions of racism in hurricane photo captions; Yahoo responds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

A French news agency has yanked a photograph surrounding the New Orleans hurricane that raised questions of racism, RAW STORY has learned.

The photograph by Agence France Presse shows two white hurricane survivors carrying food as they wade through flood waters. The caption reads, "Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store after Hurricane Katrina came through the area in New Orleans, Louisiana."

Yahoo Picture Quotes

Whites "Finding" Blacks "Looting"

Mod Edit: Placed quoted material in box, trimmed down, and shrunk link

[edit on 9/4/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I dont think anyone will be suprised........

Racism is a tool used by the media to make us think a certain way about a situation or event..thats what i think

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Here is the infamous photo that spread through the world in less than an few hours. Pretty obvious what the intent was.

and...

[edit on 9/4/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
an extremly low person that is very sad would publish such rubish, I would expect this from any city that has'nt recieved food and help for 5 days, those people are suffering and media is now destroying more of the victems minds, also the Government has'nt done anything to protect the city or help the civilians in need.

This is a joke "USA Gov could not help flood victems because there wasnt any support troops available" USA has atleast 5000 helicopters operational and not single one could come with in 5 days "In other words I can travel by plane around the world in fact i can reach from New York to London in 7 hours " this is pure racism SHAME ON BUSH ADMISTRATION

They arnt Iraqis they are Americans but arnt been provided with help.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by Interseptor]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
got'a agree with you on that one.....I only saw 2 military heli's a few days ago....and even now I only see like 10 heli's the most.....and that including the Coast Guards.....you would figure all private co.'s with heli's would have offered free food/water drops

But seems the media is just showing the same pictures etc. now.....nothing new coming out now
Seems the Goverment has forced the media to follow some set of rules what they can show from now on

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Really what I saw and heard on tv from Bush and media was shocking to know that Bush admistration has now developed nazi racial feeling to its own citizen well it was active in the 50s and 60 racial ragimes in the world but now those difference are gone and now are starting to develop again in America.

Bush said that Hurricane Katrina is gone get cleared up in a day's work like if it were only normal every day storm, that is like underestimating the power of nature, it has destroyed what you could say the size of half of france.

A country like china a 3rd world country can protect its citizen from natural disasters but a super power cant from all its high tech satlites and earliwarning storm/huricane systems.

Americans are doomed in Bush era.

But then again so are we.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
As you can see none of the people on this board who asked the question "Why does this have to turn into a race issue? *cough* (I See you)" have responded. Truth Hurts, America is still racist bottom line. The worst thing is the reporter who wrote this article probably didn't do it intentionally . That just shows you how deep the rift in this country runs.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
These photos were taken by two different photographers and presented by two different press agencies. Photographers add the sublines for photos when they send them in, or at least describe the action so writers can put on sublines. It's not like it came from one consistent source. Also, it's not like they said the white people had found 'TVs and jewelry' and that the black kid was looting TVs and jewelry. 'Looting a grocery store' is as benign given the circumstances as the subline they other photo had.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah_John
These photos were taken by two different photographers and presented by two different press agencies. Photographers add the sublines for photos when they send them in, or at least describe the action so writers can put on sublines. It's not like it came from one consistent source. Also, it's not like they said the white people had found 'TVs and jewelry' and that the black kid was looting TVs and jewelry. 'Looting a grocery store' is as benign given the circumstances as the subline they other photo had.

If that was the case why did yahoo retract to the photo's and descriptions. Obviously the know that something was wrong their.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth
If that was the case why did yahoo retract to the photo's and descriptions. Obviously the know that something was wrong their.

Or maybe their just sick of people contacting them about it and bitching.
As the guy said it was taken by two different sources, it wasn't some devious plot to stir up racial thoughts in people's minds... Apparantly you guys have a problem with racial thoughts if thats the first thing that comes to your minds.

Why couldn't you think about the two different photographers scenario before you thought about the racial divide?

As the saying goes, whoever smelt it dealt it.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I saw that photo just a few hours after it hit the NET. I was going to post it, but thought otherwise. It smacks of pure racism by the media company that published the pictures.

I cannot, and will not put up with racism in any way or form. It sickens me to the core.
The media company should be up in a court of law for publishing those pictures. The black guy should sue for defamation of character too. How did the reporter know he had stolen the food? because he was black? How did the reporter know the white people didn't steal their food? because they were white? Absolute, down right, abhorable and utter crap.

These people need food and help, not bloody ridiculous accusations from some ignorant minded media reporter.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

probably to stop the liberals from whining.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
tjsteeler yeah those damn liberals how dare they try and stop racism, it is every republican conservatives right to be as damn racist as they want. How dare those liberals care for another race? How dare those liberals fight for our rights?

tjsteeler why do you feel that there is nothing wrong with being racist? You are a pure racist so explain to us why it is ok. Do you fear black people, is that why you are a racist? Why do you fear liberals as well? All they want to do is protect your rights and make sure people are held accountable for their actions. When did you first become a racist? Is it something you are born with or can it be cured?

Why would you compare whining to defending a persons integrity? Do you come from a family of KKK members and lynchers is that where your racism blossomed? You don't have to fear people that are different to you, we don't fear you.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
OK guys, let chill a bit please.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

So I see two white girls floating some bread in the water as
they walk. They have two or three food items. Then I see a black
fellow with a huge plastic garbage bag full of something and then
some other items in his other hand.

Finding food .... the girls have something to keep them alive.

Looting ... emptying as much as you can carry out of the store.
MORE than you need to stay alive.

While I have no problem with either white or black people taking
food out of stores to keep themselves alive, there indeed IS a
difference between 'finding' food and 'looting' a grocery store.

That's not racist. That's stating a difference in the spirit of the
two terms ... 'finding some food' and 'looting'. It's in the amount
needed vs what is taken.

Perhaps the black fellow was taking some food to others.
Dunno.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oh please

Looting is looting stealing is stealing you can't say "oh its okay because they're only taking a few items" while condemning someone else for doing the same exact thing. You're assuming the person is taking more then he needs you don't know his circumstances you don't even know what's in the bag. You don't if its items from the store or the few possessions this person has left. Your assuming the person took more then the two white people. Your assuming those backpacks the two white people have arent full of looted items.

The question is why are you so quick to give the white peole the benefit of the doubt but so quick to condemn the black kid?

This is why it's become a racial issue not because "Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are looking for free publicity" its because people are too scared to confront the decades worth of racial stereotype that have clogged up our brains.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
there indeed IS a

Dunno.

Looting a grocery store? Hell what valuables would he find there other than FOOD! Maybe TP and sanitary products.

2nd bold, probably right.

Watch the media spin, they're only interested in ratings and their own carreers.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

As you can see none of the people on this board who asked the question "Why does this have to turn into a race issue? *cough* (I See you)" have responded. Truth Hurts, America is still racist bottom line. The worst thing is the reporter who wrote this article probably didn't do it intentionally . That just shows you how deep the rift in this country runs.

Because it hasn't TURNED into a race issue IT IS a blatantly obvious race issue and i am not talking about the photograph rubbish but it is good in one sence that attention has been brought to the topic due to media exaggeration such as the photo above.

Why has there been very little militery action until today....A WEEK LATER ALMOST IT IS SICKENING. Like someone else said we can get from London to America an less than a day. Why is medical aid not getting through or taking so long to do so?

why hasn't Bush bothered to go in stright after the disaster? Now Tony Blair left Scotland immediatly after the London Bombings to help and address the people. Our millitery where on it straight away, well trained, well prepared and took action right away.
But Bush the slim ball that he is obviously doesn't give a XXXX otherwise he would have dropped his agender and gone stright there to support the victems! It is total BS that supplies can't get through, we are not talking about a country with civilwar, corruption, gorillas etc etc. What CRAP

Why is the BIGGEST, RICHEST , MOST POWERFUL STATE Uncapable of handeling this disaster? Why have delay's occured? Why has the top militery man been silenced, he told the media "He was not allowed to comment on his instruction" What instructions? Instructions to sit back and do bugger all while people die of infections, injuries etc etc.

WHY HAS BUSH ASKED THE EU FOR HELP 7 DAY'S AFTER THE DISASTER STRUCK? AND WHY IS IT THE RICHEST NATION CAN'T AFFORD TO SEND SUPPLIES AND HAS TO ASK THE EU FOR HELP WHEN THE EU HAS LESS MONEY THAN AMERICA.?

Someone mentioned the Japanes being able to manage there disasters very well and they don't have near the amount of money America has.

I smell one big fat ugly rat named BUSH the ANTICHRIST OF THE CENTURY

The answer follows the reason of the man made Killer AIDS
ETHNIC CLEANSING OF THE 21 CENTURY. Nice and simple, sit back relax and let as many people die for a week without taking action and then .....oh We'd better be seen to be doing something not to arouse world suspicion.

Does Bush think the world is full of Moorons? Obviously Yes....well he has antother thing comming

I'd love to nuke his racesist little AxxE

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by FlyersFan
there indeed IS a

Dunno.

Looting a grocery store? Hell what valuables would he find there other than FOOD! Maybe TP and sanitary products.

Did you guys see the police officer's looting in Wal Mart? They were sent there to rid the store of the looter's but one journalist found these two female officer's with karts of items, and eyeing shoes..

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaCodeMonkey
tjsteeler yeah those damn liberals how dare they try and stop racism, it is every republican conservatives right to be as damn racist as they want. How dare those liberals care for another race? How dare those liberals fight for our rights?

tjsteeler why do you feel that there is nothing wrong with being racist? You are a pure racist so explain to us why it is ok. Do you fear black people, is that why you are a racist? Why do you fear liberals as well? All they want to do is protect your rights and make sure people are held accountable for their actions. When did you first become a racist? Is it something you are born with or can it be cured?

Why would you compare whining to defending a persons integrity? Do you come from a family of KKK members and lynchers is that where your racism blossomed? You don't have to fear people that are different to you, we don't fear you.

well that made very little sense. nice diatribe though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join