It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Condi Rice Goes Shoe Shopping While New Orleans Floods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
No lie. This is being broken by gawker.com

What does surprise us: Just moments ago at the Ferragamo on 5th Avenue, Condoleeza Rice was seen spending several thousands of dollars on some nice, new shoes (we’ve confirmed this, so her new heels will surely get coverage from the WaPo’s Robin Givhan). A fellow shopper, unable to fathom the absurdity of Rice’s timing, went up to the Secretary and reportedly shouted, “How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!” Never one to have her fashion choices questioned, Rice had security PHYSICALLY REMOVE the woman.

Angry Lady, whoever you are, we love you. You are a true American, and we’ll go shoe shopping with you anytime.

I would love to hear what you think about this. Oh and PLEASE for the love of Benji read the story first and do some research. No self-righteous flamers for the sake of it. These are SHOES here after all. 7000 dollars worth - not to be taken lightly.

www.gawker.com...-condi-rice-spends-salary-on-shoes-123467
news.independent.co.uk...
www.nydailynews.com...

[edit on 4-9-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well I bought a Television and a Microwave last week. Oh, and a couple of boxes of Cap N' Crunch. As I left the supermarket an angry group of protestors followed me proclaiming 'How dare you get your 12 essential Vitamins and Minerals while these people in New Orleans starve!'. I had to get someone to physically remove the crowd.

So, in other words...what's your point?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is such a dumb reply I don't even know why you bothered to post. I think my point is pretty evident since you aren't Secretary of State are you? If you were would *you* go shopping while offers of countries were asking how they could help - many of them ignored and unaccepted. Had you been working during the floods would *YOU* have gone shopping for shoes and having a night out at the town?

We had people on this board willing to do anything, anything to volunteer and help out. Some pledged their hard earned cash. Even they would find it hard to justify having a laugh when NO was going down. I think my point is respect. Pure and simple. May not mean a lot to some but it important to at least 'act' like you care.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Mirror Shopping

I'm sure Ms. Rice could have used her time more gainfully by running around pointing fingers at other people for carrying on with their lives, and then performing the inestimable public service of writing glib, sarcastic articles about it.

Or perhaps posting similar politically-motivated recriminations on the Internet, which accomplishes... what, exactly?

We are being encouraged to "act" like we care? And this sort of insincere, self-congratulatory psychodrama helps who?

As far as I can tell, it only helps people who lack the maturity to deal with their own psychological problems. It sure as hell won't help any of the victims of Katrina.

I've been using the word "sanctimony" quite a bit lately.

I wish it wasn't appropriate as often as it is.
:shk:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It's not her decision to accept or decline the offers. Those offers go to her and she passes them on the President and HE decides which to accept and which to reject. So she went shoe shopping, should she have been running around yelling "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The fact that this is even a thread shows all too well the failure of public education. Majic said it best well done.........

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Mirror Shopping

I'm sure Ms. Rice could have used her time more gainfully by running around pointing fingers at other people for carrying on with their lives, and then performing the inestimable public service of writing glib, sarcastic articles about it.

I'm sorry but your post is as full of 'glib' sarcasm as anything you highlight above.

Note that Rice could have spent her time actually sorting through the myriad of aid offers coming in from other countries, donating time, money, people and asking how they could help. Maybe her time could have also been spent writing out thank you notes if the offers weren't going to be accepted and then explaining to the rest of the country why they weren't good enough in the first place.

As far as I can tell, it only helps people who lack the maturity to deal with their own psychological problems. It sure as hell won't help any of the victims of Katrina.

Yes in a way it is psychological - but so is good politics. You stand together in time of trouble - all that - blah, blah, blah. She isn't a receptionist in an office working on the weekend you know. She is a highly visible member of the Bush cabinet. Why do I have to keep saying this? Geez people, don't you know what a politician is? You don't go home and stop being one. You are always one. Sort of like being a rock star. She wasn't 'caught' buying a carton of milk or a bottle of asprin. She wasn't going back to her life AFTER the events - it was during.

Had the efforts to help and save gone more effectively we wouldn't be arguing this point at all and Ms. Rice could have been shoe shopping until she dropped and I wouldn't be posting this in the first place

Are you familiar with the phrase public servant? It means to serve the people. The US was in need. It was a time of crisis.

I've been using the word "sanctimony" quite a bit lately.

Lot of other good words out there, so many wonderful ones:

callous, unresponsive, languid, impassive, obdurate, apathetic, impenetrable and feckless.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The Value Of Words

Originally posted by nikelbee
Lot of other good words out there, so many wonderful ones:

callous, unresponsive, languid, impassive, obdurate, apathetic, impenetrable and feckless.

Here's one to look into: judgmental.

As you judge others, so shall you judge yourself.

I'm sorry to see my point lost so utterly.

Enjoy your extra helping of self-serving propaganda. Perhaps it may prove as satisfying as denouncing people on the basis of hearsay.

Peace out.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Mirror Shopping

Or perhaps posting similar politically-motivated recriminations on the Internet, which accomplishes... what, exactly?

We are being encouraged to "act" like we care? And this sort of insincere, self-congratulatory psychodrama helps who?

Maybe the point of your post was lost amongst the many pointed sarcastic remarks of your introductory sentences?

Fair enough if you want to attack me and what I am saying: it is after all your right. But please don't say *I* lost the point of your remarks, when they were so surrounded by your own indignant self-righteousness.

I am quite prepared to engage in discussion and fully aware that disagreements will ensue as some don't agree that Rice's shopping habits should be fair game.

But you didn't do that. You replied in the tone I quoted above. Although you do know that the words I posted as an alternative for 'sanctimonious' weren't addressed to you right? I do not know you, nor choose to insult you regardless of your view point.

If you were calling me sanctimonious - not really too clear because AGAIN there is that sarcasm- then do so directly. Do not hide behind your words. Words are great weapons but also great peacemakers. Most importantly in the case of this forum, they help us say what we are saying. Sometimes even clearly.

Please do not think I intentionally misread your point. It is a little hard to see it. Try unmasking next time. Armed in sarcasm just makes this into an insult fest and I don't really want to have to pull the thesaurus out again. Besides it would be much better if we actually discussed whether or not it was right for her to go shopping for shoes at a time of national crisis. Not whether you think I’m ----- insert word here.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Dont feel bad nikelbee....People are trying to use the Norman Vincent Peale approach to try to water down reality thinking if they apply it enough all the injustice and critizism of this administration will go away and we will all have 100% national pride, all of us. We all deal with it in different ways. Some critizize and rant...others deny and make excuses. Neither is right or wrong, it just is.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
nikelbee, I'm also saddened by this administration's response in many, many respects. This incident is but one of many much more unfortunate accounts mentioned in the editorial linked in my current siggy.

I truly do not understand anything any more but sadness over all this. As for your anger, it's not at all an inappropriate response.

I suppose on some level that applies to people angrily defending this administration's continued embarrassments or angrily criticizing angry criticisms, but it's hard for me to understand.

Really hard.

From what I understand the second main reason people gave as to why they re-elected this administration after 9/11 and the Iraq war was it would make them safe. Not just from sodomy, but impending doom. Cheney's recurring visions of imminent disaster on US soil in a major US city come to mind.

We'll it happened. We weren't ready. People weren't safe. Sodomy isn't about to go anywhere either, so I truly just don't understand.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Us women go shopping for shoes and handbags when we are stressed. I dislike the woman, but thats just how it is.

I dont see what the big deal is...Last time i felt crappy i bought 4 pairs of unnecessary shoes and a bag with long hair...

It happens.

Unless....did she pay for them or was she on a looting spree?

[edit on 4-9-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

This is such a dumb reply

Well its a pretty dumb thread to be fair.

I think my point is pretty evident since you aren't Secretary of State are you?

What does me not being Secretary of State have any effect of the comprehension of your post?

If you were would *you* go shopping while offers of countries were asking how they could help - many of them ignored and unaccepted. Had you been working during the floods would *YOU* have gone shopping for shoes and having a night out at the town?

So in the face of a disaster, every personal of power is supposed to hault their 'shopping needs'. Give me a break, why do you even care if she buys shoes?

We had people on this board willing to do anything, anything to volunteer and help out. Some pledged their hard earned cash. Even they would find it hard to justify having a laugh when NO was going down.

Ok, what does any of that have to do with shoe shopping?

I think my point is respect. Pure and simple. May not mean a lot to some but it important to at least 'act' like you care.

Listen, I was born in New Orleans.
I have family in New Orleans
I have family members that are unaccounted for.
I have family members that are crowded in my parents house in Texas.

To assume that I dont care is highly ignorant on your part.

I still dont understand what any of this has to do with shoe shopping.

[edit on 9/4/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The USA hasent and Never will accept Aid from another country. So what sorting needs to be done?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Whats the problem here? Heck, shes putting income in a shop who prolly hasnt had business in days..

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Drudge broke this first, so it's hardly a politically motivated hack job.

It's simply shocking. Not that she went shopping, or took in plays or played tennis or made an appearance at an internet convention, but that she (or anyone on ATS frankly) would be shocked people are shocked by Imelda Marcos here being covered on the very Internet she was in NYC to showboat for.

She's not buying soup here people. $7 grand boots is a poorly planned photo op. Don't be obtuse. She's supposed to be strategic minded and represent this country to the world, but can't figure out how to represent herself to us? This isn't right. It's poor judgement.

And the defense of her by some like she's just regular people here doing her daily chores is freaking nuts. I was certainly both ashamed by and sympathetic to Bill Clinton's animal urges and poor judgement, but he didn't do it on camera on purpose!. :shk: Wow guys, come on.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
With all due respect, if anyone feels that strongly about it maybe they should be out there doing something to help instead of contributing or starting this thread?

I don't see this thread helping anyone? And I don't see the problem with her doing her shopping, just because it seems like a lot of money to us dosn't mean it is to her necessarily and if people didn't butt their noses into other people's business then no-one would be any wiser.

She's no more guilty then anyone is being on here.

The photo is obviously not from in the shop but at something she is attending, what is she supposed to wear? Flip-flops?
If no-one had brought up her being in the shop then who would actually notice or care what shoes she was wearing? And who really cares now anyway?

Life.. does go on!

[edit on 4-9-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
So now the buying habbits of the administration is being critisized? come on, lets have some legitimate critisizms and not this childish stuff.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
judgement is needed and so is proper leadership.speading money is good for everyone.building jobs and life style.if you are a person of leadership lead dont give mixed messages........

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikimaru
So now the buying habbits of the administration is being critisized? come on, lets have some legitimate critisizms and not this childish stuff.

It's not about the buying habits of the administration; it's about the callous, unconcern for the citizens of this country that were in peril.

Is this a legitimate critisizm? I'm one republican that thinks so!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join