It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

54 Dead As Typhoon Talim Hits China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Atleast 54 people have died from Typhoon Talim since it made landfall in China on Thursday. 40 people from Anhui province and 14 from Wenzhou provice lost their lives in heavy winds and flooding. 400,000 people were affected by the storm which has caused an estimated $877m worth of damage. An additional one million people were evacuated from Zhejiang and Fujian provinces.

news.bbc.co.uk
At least 54 people have died in China because of flooding and landslides triggered by Typhoon Talim.

About 40 died in the province of Anhui when Talim made landfall on Thursday, and 14 died in the city of Wenzhou, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

Some 400,000 people were affected by the storm, which caused an estimated $877m (£476m) worth of damage.

The weakening storm hit China on Thursday after killing two people and injuring dozens in Taiwan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You hear about these disasters befalling China and Asia every summer. Will we view them any more different in light of Katrina?

Typhoons, hurricanes and cyclones are more powerful than any weapon we have at our disposal. They are more powerful than any weapon of mass destruction we have devised. Therefore the mitigation of the fallout from such disasters should be one of the highest, if not the highest, priority of the countries prone to them.

My thoughts go out to the Chinese people affected by Talim and I hope that Typhoon Nabi, which is Katrina-sized and due to hit Japan tonight, will not damage them badly.

We're all in this together.

[edit on 4/9/05 by subz]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I wish there was a safe way to just take the wind out of these huge storms.
I wish for the best of luck, and safety for all of those affected by these typhoons.
I'll be watching for updates on this..

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
well there is Spacedoubt.

Just build a huge (I'd say 1,500-3,000 mile across) shade at 30,000 miles out in space with a way of moving it along over the low and no hurricane , or typhoon will develop.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Already covered earlier this morning and upgraded

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Yeah I can see how Taiwan is the same as China...

A million people evacuated in 2 Chinese provinces...yeah same story...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yup; Same typhoon, different location = same story.

It was the same with Katrina. Katrina hit several states in case you were not aware of it.

top topics

join