It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When and what will they say about Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well after reading the various threads about hurricane Katrina and the after effects of it, I started to think, how long will it be before the preachers/priests etc. start saying that the hurricane was "Divine punishment for our sinful and immoral ways".

So, when do you all think this will start happening, on a really noticeable scale?

MODS: If any of you think this is the wrong section for this, please feel free to move it, this is just the best place I could think of for this.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I dunno if I can give you an accurate date, when did they idea pop up when the Tsumani was done and over with? Wasn't it a few weeks, so I am guessing we shouldn't see anyone quoted Bible versus about Great Floods in the ETOT for anotherfew weeks. But it does seem possible that they could be right? When was the last time a Tsunami that large, and a Hurricane which is being considered the worst in American History, happen within a year of each other. Just something to think about.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm actually quite suprised that there hasn't been somebody on these forums saying the hurricane and floods were part of God's retribution for the US invading Iraq etc. I mean, if a nation is supposedly on the side of God, and fighting for what is right, doesn't it seem peculiar that God would give that nation the smackdown?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I've been thinking the same thing since it happened, and have been looking for the religious angle on it, specifically the American religious right to see what their spin would be.

Personally I think the reason we haven't heard from them yet is that it's very hard to spin it into something that would fit with their agenda going by their previous statements, which if you believed them, which I don't, this would fit only as a punishment and nothing else.

I'm sure the disabling of the NO oil industry and subsequent hikes in prices is giving them headaches in that regard.

Basically a total rebuff of their claims rather than an endorsement.

Note; I mean no disrespect and do not belive this is any kind of religious retribution.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by kegs]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My friend found this a few days ago and sent it to me;

(New Orleans, Louisiana) An evangelical Christian group that regularly demonstrates at LGBT events is blaming gays for hurricane Katrina.

Repent America says that God "destroyed" New Orleans because of Southern Decadence, the gay festival that was to have taken place in the city over the Labor Day weekend.

"Southern Decadence" has a history of filling the French Quarters section of the city with drunken homosexuals engaging in sex acts in the public streets and bars" Repent America director Michael Marcavage said in a statement Wednesday.

"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city." Marcavage said. "From ‘Girls Gone Wild’ to ‘Southern Decadence’, New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. May it never be the same."

"Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster. However, we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long," Marcavage said.

"May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded.

The floodgates have opened...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There are already posts here which are calling Katrina "God's Retribution".

I'm not going to point them out (as I think the notion is beyond ridiculous); but they're here.

Various religious figures have blamed gays, decadence, the decline of morality, and a host of other things; they do the same thing after any and every natural disaster and Katrina is no different.

It's sickening, quite honestly.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I had a feeling that us 'homo-gays' were going to get blamed for the devistation caused by Katrina. Remember when that parade of hurricanes hit Florida over and over again last year? Well, good ol' Pat Robertson suggested that it was God punishing Florida for 'harboring' all those gays. Remember right after 9/11 when Falwell suggested it was our fault for the attacks?

Now I'm one of 'the gays' that doesn't feel ALL christians have this attitude - REAL christians aren't like that, they don't beleive natural disaters are punishment for what they beleive God deems unacceptable.

Now if you are a real Christian, and you know that these extreme fundamentalists do not speak for you, but believe others think you must be like that since you're also a Christian - that's just a wee-little pinch of what it taste like to be an average Gay man in America.

People will scream out that "the Christians" are heartless, bitter, bigoted and hateful when they only pay attention to the crazy ones that rant and rave about all that "hellfire and brimstone and 'weather systems hand-crafted by God to wipe out the Homo-Gays'" nonsense.

Just like most people think all Gays are feminine acting, cross dressing, feather-boa-wearing, Las Vegas Show girls - only out to "shove it in your face" and try to "convert" you to one of us - when most of us are just average, mainstream Americans who happen to prefer the companionship of the same gender. Is that really worth all the hate that gets spewed towards us?

We're not standing out in front of Churches with "GOD HATES THE FAITHFULL" picket signs - I can't remember the last time me and a group of my Homo-Gays waited outside a straight bar and followed a couple home just to beat them up for "choosing" to be straight. Now, do I think ALL straight people want to do that to me? Sometimes, but that's because that's the only time I hear anything about Gay/Straight relations. I don't really beleive ALL of the Heteros think about us like that.

I'm just a regular guy, who happens to be gay - I struggle to get out of bed in the morning, I go to work, stop at the grocery store on the way home, bitch about the cost of gas, pay my taxes, worry about the future. But when I do these things, I'm always aware that at any second, someone might pop out of the woodwork and tell me I'm going to hell, I'm 'evil' and must be destroyed, how I'm out to get their children and make them "like me", and even compare me to pedophiles and necrophiliacs and people that are into beastiality. How am I supposed to feel about that? Am I supposed to think ALL straight people think like that about me? Why not?, that's all I ever hear.

It's not pleasant being part of something when most people have the wrong idea about it. If you really are a true Christian, please let people know that you do not share the same views as those "false prophets" that spew nothing but hate and bigotry.

It's just a shame that those bigots are the ones that get the most attention paid to them.

Christian does not have to equal bigoted

Just like -

Gay does not have to equal Evil

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   

You have voted paulthefourth for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Very well said.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am trying to find out what the history of Hurricane Katrina was. What date did it start out as a tropical depression? What dates it was upgraded to tropical storm then a hurricane?

new topics

top topics

join