It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are we entertaining the spirits??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i have this great christian friend who i met at a restaurant and we got talking about you know, all kinds of stuff esp. about God and i told her how i like to watch some scary movies. anyways she said to be careful about doing such things for in doing so we "entertain those evil spirits". i like to watch them as for educational purposes (and for a good case of jitters). by that i mean sometimes they show things or say things that can help you understand why "bad things" happen to good people. kids play with occult stuff or test haunted houses etc. and i like to think if you know you can help other people in ways that are good. know what i mean?? the devil's greatest tool is ignorance and if someone knows his strategic plan to hurt others than with God on your side you can definitaly help others. care to comment anyone?? by the way i think i want to see that movie coming out called 'the exorcism of emily rose'. would appreciate any thoughts

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Like with anything, dont do anything in excess, but have caution and moderation when seeing such things. It is like drinking, having a few beers, or glass of wine isn't bad, but when you have an excess of it, it turns into a bad thing. Sometimes when people see occult or horror films they think it is real and it raises doubts about thier belief system.

We have all heard stories of people using Quigi boards and i firmly belive that ghosts and eveil spiritis exists, but I also know that with faith in Jesus they cannot harm me in anyway, nor have any power over me

But some people think they do and doubt thier own faith and worry they will fall awayfrom god if they belive in such things.

Everyone is differant

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
hey,

i agree with jeho. except for the thing about believing in ghosts
evil spirits (aka demons) yea but i dont believe in the idea that dead people come back to visit us or haunt us. thats another thread though. it doesnt really matter lol.

anyway, back to the original posters inquiry...
i love to watch horror movies and im a christian. and i want to see that emily rose movie, it looks pretty scary.
as far as entertaining the demonic, i dont necessarily think that watching a scary movie would. i think we are only entertaining them when we give into temptations or are suffering. and usually after a horror film, at least me, im laughing and having a good time. its a fun adreneline rush.

moderation is the key though in everything in life i think.
but i think jeho explained it pretty well.

Kind Regards,
digitalgrl

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Much is going on around one that one does not see or hear. We all have come from the light, and those whose physical existence ceases have the opportunity to reenter.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Groupies:

It is interesting that the writer of Hebrews (whoever he was, certainly not Saul of Tarsus, not his Greek nor his Weltanschauung) in the canonical New Testament

(see Hebrews chapter 13:2 :

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares..)

Who these SOME are being referred to is not known, but presumably the writer is referring to stories exemplifying the moral of hospitality shown by men to gods/angels who appear as strangers a the doorstep an are rewarded for their kindness, e.g. the story in the the Torah about Lot and the 3 "men: (see Gen 18:1-12) ; and all this gods-in-disguise theme is very common literary motif found in ancient cultures even as far away as China...

In fact in-hospitality (i.e. rudeness or violence to strangers) was the main reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed according to the destruction myth in Genesis 19, and not any ritual uncleanliness type sin (i.e. toqebah "ritual abomination" like mixing cotton and linen in the same garment, or cross dressing etc. ) associated with anal intercourse iteself according to the tenor of the story as it appears in the paleo Hebrew texts.

Norms involving hospitality are prevalent in some of the stories found in Greek mythology (e.g. Baucis & Philemon entertain 2 gods dressed as vagabonds, where the milk pitcher keeps being magically refilled) exemplified the belief that gods sometimes appeared on earth as strangers and that anyone who showed hospitality toward these visitors was amply rewarded...

So this is probably the kind of idea behind modern people who quote Hebrews chapter 13 thinking they can "entertain angels unawares..." with their stereo system (with the notion that the angels are invisible but somehow present in the room) when music is played for example...!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
that passage meant imhop, that you should be respectful to all people because you never know if you will be really approaching an angel. as in it being a test of sorts. i think its a good samaritan reminder.

if you look in the NIV and the new king james version of the bible it writes it out in exactly that way.
here: Hebrews 13:2
"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

Contemporary english version: "Be sure to welcome strangers into your home. By doing this, some people have welcomed angels as guests, without even knowing

and just because 3 sources are better than 1 here is the new american standard versions translation:

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Quite often, Christians spend a lot of time worrying over whether or not something will "invite" an unfriendly spirit. If such things really happened, then atheists would be the most possessed people on the planet because they have no injunctions against reading anything.

Other worries that this group have include the effect of college on your mind (it's proven that college does tend to make you more liberal.

Frankly, I think it's an issue of control. They have an easy answer to control what you read (and reward you for only reading their material.) This leads to you being very uninformed about a lot of things -- and thus easier to deceive.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
As a matter of fact, Byrd, our Book says that if we put our hand through the hedge (God's protection) we will be bitten by the serpent.

As far as possession goes, one does not have to spit pea soup and spin one's head to be possessed of an unclean spirit. One can be possessed and not know it. The fact is, Satan doesn't really care about your activities here on Earth, unless he needs to direct you for his purpose. What he is interested in is that you spend eternity in a place that was created for him and the fallen angels.

I happen to be a Christian, Byrd, have about 6 years of "higher" learning (one day I might even bothergetting a degree, as I'm two classes shy of one of the ones I aimed for! :lol
and am not ignorant, nor do I expect others to be ignorant.

It is no secret that the centers for education are being used, not to bring out the talents in young Americans, but teach them what to think, and how to think it. Those who are not strong before going into college can very easily exit good little workers for the NWO. Anyone, not just Christians, should be aware of the education system.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
There's nothing you can do that will entertain nonexistent beings. If you enjoy horror flicks, go ahead.

I used to enjoy horror flicks. I liked to watch them and suspend disbelief to get scared and then spend the next week or so looking over my shoulder whenever it was dark.

Sadly, since I've embraced rationalism, I just find the shows stupid and unentertaining unless thay are at least sort of feasible (actual humans stalking/tormenting others rather than spirit beings).

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I was raised on rationalism. If you haven't seen any evidence of spirits in your whole life then I don't blame you for being so self-assured, almost cocky, but what I believe is the result of decades of observed phenomena that I cannot just dismiss. If I was you, and had not seen any of this, I may agree that spirits don't exist. But I would not go so far as to say they are not feasible. If you think the existance of spirits is impossible, then I hope I am present on the other side after you die, so I can see the expression on your face. That would be priceless. But of course, I may be wrong, and we might just be sacks of meat. I doubt it though, seen too much.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
If you think the existance of spirits is impossible, then I hope I am present on the other side after you die, so I can see the expression on your face. That would be priceless.

It would probably be something to the effect of, "Cool, I'm not dead." I'll try to find you so you can gloat properly.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
well you all have given me something to think about. i would think that playing with the ouija board and "other" occultic tools, i would think that THAT would be entertaining the demonic and opening doors for them into ones life. i still have not seen the movie but i hear it's creepy.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by vonwoolf appollonia]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonwoolf appollonia
i would think that playing with the ouija board and "other" occultic tools, i would think that THAT would be entertaining the demonic and opening doors for them into ones life.

Only if you believe in them. They have no power otherwise.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Only if they laugh at my jokes...

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
i went to watch the exorcism of emily rose and it was awesome. not as scary as THE Exorcist. this seemed more courtroom stuff and you only see the creepy stuff in the peoples' flashback's. loved the ending. anyone else seen it. and what did you think??

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Byrd
Quite often, Christians spend a lot of time worrying over whether or not something will "invite" an unfriendly spirit. If such things really happened, then atheists would be the most possessed people on the planet because they have no injunctions against reading anything.

Other worries that this group have include the effect of college on your mind (it's proven that college does tend to make you more liberal.

Frankly, I think it's an issue of control. They have an easy answer to control what you read (and reward you for only reading their material.) This leads to you being very uninformed about a lot of things -- and thus easier to deceive.

The free will and exceptence, in this case belief of a man is why an invitation to the (spirit world) angles, good or evil can be offered and accepted.

But!

Just reading doesn't account for believing.

Education of collage and university level is at the top of executive training, the uppity word for manager...
The people controllers, while those whom have lower leveled education are more likely to be force to think for them self instead of spoon feed.

Belief is powerful stuff even when it's wrong.

(post by vonwoolf appollonia removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join