It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

## THE OFFICIAL ATS KATRINA VICTIM AID THREAD ##

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As we've seen on the boards, all levels of staff and members are deeply concerned about the horrific human tragedy caused by a slow response to helping those communities hit by hurricane Katrina.

I've received several inquiries about how ATS plans to participate in organizing aid.

Personally, I've always felt such organized "Help Victims of _____" movements by sites, companies, stores, etc. to be self serving promotional bullsh__t.

Helping is easy, just go do it!

Donate some cash to an appropriate nonprofit (like the Red Cross) if you can.

But most important, if you are in the U.S., do something. And do it now.
Get off the board, get off your ass, and get to one of the distribution centers near you that is organizing relief efforts. If you're in doubt, call the Salvation Army, they have a list. Go. Go now. Shut the computer off. Go do it. And before you leave, gather up some clothes you don't need to take with you.

I just got back from doing just that. You'll feel better... you'll want to do it again.

More than anything else, this is what is needed, people helping. Each individual person that does this turns the tide from images of chaos and looting to images of humanity and compassion.

If you've helped in this way, use this thread to post your experiences. As more and more members read how we're getting off our collective asses to go help... more members will.

We'll see you when you get back.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Question--I live in Ohio. Do you think the Salvation Army in my area would ship things south? If so, I plan on being in Orrville today anyway (that's where it is in this area). Make it all one trip and save gas.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
As far as I've heard, every Salvation Army in every state is involved. Many other charities are also setting up distribution centers.

We loaded masses of donations of clothing, canned goods and water from local merchants into 3 18-wheelers. That's just one morning/afternoon.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I went today, just got back there was a pretty long line I think I may have waited an half of an hour. Gave clothing, canned goods and some cash.

I feel like its still not enough.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
My donation has been sent to the Red Cross....

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
[size=10] Do not give to the Red Cross
spend a dollar or two long distance to find local charities in the areas and donate there, cut out the middle man that will hoard millions.

RED CROSS WITHOLDING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY??
The Red Cross, under the Liberty Fund, collected $564 million in donations after 9/11. Months after the event, the Red Cross had distributed only $154 million.

Then Red Cross President Dr. Bernadine Healy arrogantly responded when questioned about the withholding of funds by stating, "The Liberty Fund is a war fund. It has evolved into a war fund."

These people have more money than you can shake a stick at !!!

[edit on 3/9/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, SO. It is something that will help us stay focused on the positive ways to deal with this tragedy. I have made one donation so far to America's Second Harvest. I plan to do this with every paycheck but will probably rotate through different charities. I'm blessed to work for an employer who is matching every dollar I give

We have bags and boxes of clothes waiting for our refugees (they were supposed to arrive last night, but there appears to be a hold up). When we get the word they have arrived at the armory, I plan to stop on the way and get lots of nonperishable snack items and drinks for them.

We need to fill the gap. These are our neighbors.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm all swelled up with pride!
The Southern Baptist Churches of Oklahoma have a summer youth camp called Falls Creek. It's like an entire town of cabins that are large (some house up to 200 or so people) each having kitchen facilities and male/female bunk rooms. The place stands empty most of the year and used during the school summer holiday. It's located on 160 acres in the beautiful Arbuckle Mountains in south-central Oklahoma.

Falls Creek will house victims who had been in the Superdome. Southern Baptist Churches across the state agreed to let the victims use their cabins.

Our church has a cabin and this is just wonderful to find out that yet another group of people can be adopted by people who will commit to love them and take care of them long term. WHOOP!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Just to let you all know there is another way to help out.. if you enjoy playing poker and would like to help Wil Wheaton has gotten Pokerstars.com to run several charityPoker tournaments with 99% of the proceeds going to hurricane relief plus poker stars is going to match the player buy in's in their own donations.. buy in's range from $5,$20, $50 and $100. (2 additional tourneys have been added recently)

If you want to help out please sign up.

So far they have raised over $10,000 in entries which pokerstars.com is going to match dollar for dollar so thats over $20,000 in relief so far.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
It's like an entire town of cabins that are large (some house up to 200 or so people) each having kitchen facilities and male/female bunk rooms. The place stands empty most of the year and used during the school summer holiday. It's located on 160 acres in the beautiful Arbuckle Mountains in south-central Oklahoma.

Our church has a cabin and this is just wonderful to find out that yet another group of people can be adopted by people who will commit to love them and take care of them long term. WHOOP!

I too am VERY HAPPY about this... These people need the basics taken care of FOR them right now. Imagine NOT having a job, home or even an idea of where to BEGIN to find any of the above.

They need to NOT worry about housing, food, clothes and the kids right now so they can focus on working with the agencies that are surely going to be popping up to assist in employment and permanent housing and the like in the near future.

Imagine trying to REINVENT, REORGANIZE and RESTART you whole bloody LIFE living out of a box and worrying about your child's next meal(!) couldn't do it.

I was saying to Val the other night, it would be a FREE, AWESOME, PR coup" for a motel chain to announce they were freeing up 4 or 5 rooms at EVERY property to house refugees for as long as it took.

If only...

I am PROUD to be an American again.

Springer...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Some of us here in Australia feel a little helpless, given that we can't really participate physically to help people out. However, we can make donations to aid the victims of Katrina through the Red Cross. I encourage Aussies and Kiwis to give what they can to help ease the suffering of those whose lives have been virtually destroyed by this terrible tragedy.

For us Aussies, you can donate through The Australian Red Cross US Hurricane Relief Appeal.

For you Kiwis, you can do the same through The New Zealand Red Cross Katrina Appeal.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Check your local Walmarts and Grocery Stores...such as Publix and Winn Dixie (for those in the south) Both stores are running food, cash and clothing drives.

And seriously go thru your closet and pull out that shirt or dress you haven't worn since last year. Get your kids involved. Have them go thru their toy boxes.

I also last heard on the news that Undergarments were in high demand. New ones of course. So pick up a pack or two and drop it off with your clothing donations.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I heard an idea earlier today, and I wanted to know whom I should contact about possibly having it enacted. All over the country bases have been closed down for years, with former military housing left abandoned. What if the hurricane survivors were allowed to use the old military housing as a temporary solution to give them shelter.

I know one base by my house that was closed about 10 years ago, and every time I drive by the housing, I think of it as a total waste. They could have been used as low income housing rentals.

Does anyone else think that this could help out? Or who I should contact to try and get this thing going?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Good idea, and I think it's already being implemented. Some of the evacuees are headed to Massachusetts, where they will be housed at the OTIS AFB which was recently closed by BRAC.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My husband and I chose the salvation army for donations, we always do, our military base have already a few areas to donate from money to goods, so we are doing what we can.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If you are in the USA, this is one of the best (safest) lists of charities and organizations you can donate money, food, time, etc to.

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster -- it's the safest place to start if you are at all concerned about where your donations go. There is no excuse to not help.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Donated yesterday

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
the company that i work for is matching donations 2 for 1, i will make a donation when the office opens on tuesday, they have also donated a truckload of canned goods to help.....

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

This is a service to help connect Hurricane Katrina victims with
their friends and family

katrina.earthlink.net...

on the linked page, you will also find;

Or Try These Other Sites:
[a nice menu of orgs. & sites]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join