It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreaming of a philosophy forum at ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes, I CAN already hear the heckles from the balcony seats.

I mean seperate from the religious/ethics discussion.

Would there be any posts?
Here are several I would put there:

1. My thread "200 year-old challenge to metaphysics," about Immanuel Kant's philosophical work about why the supernatural 'sciences' have made no real progress, and people's answers to him.

2. A disucssion of whether the nation-state is becoming obsolete. About how the concept of a 'nation' as a piece of real estate was a functoin of the 'enlightened despots' of the 17th century. Louis XIV, the British house of Hannover, and the Russian Romanovs invented the modern "state" as a way to justify their reigns over varied ethnic groups, and also to justify grabbing other people's real estate. In the information age, is this outdated concept of 'nation' becoming obsolete???

3. Can democracy be imposed/incubated in a muslim society? What about one with one a few ethnic groups, who are historically antagonistic; i.e. Palestine, Iraq, Serbia, etc.

4. Have humans "progressed" in the last 500 years? Are we more mature in our emotions than our ancestors, or less so?

5. How should doctors decide who should get limited medical resources after a hurricane? Youngest first? Most likely to survive anyway? How do you decided, when forced to, who's life matters more?

6. Is free enterprise inherently unstable, causing mom & pop businesses to compete and eventually grow into multinational conglomerates, and eventually stifling genuine competition? What about democracy--doesn't it cause people to form political parties and lobbying groups???

I know that I and others could find interesting things to post. But the real question remains:

Would anyone read it????

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I, for one, would indulge gluttonously in the forum you propose.

Thinking your way around a problem is good excercise, prevents dementia and such. ATS can help in the fight against elder disease by creating a philosophy forum, they should do so immediately.

Seriously, that's a good idea, though I'm not sure if it's in keeping with the conspiracy slant of the site. I like the idea in any case.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
you can also put your suggestion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Seriously, that's a good idea, though I'm not sure if it's in keeping with the conspiracy slant of the site.

That would depend on the nature of the posts.

How about a thread on how the demand for scientific 'verifiable' evidence places unecessary intellectual handcuffs on conspiracy investigations. The RICO act and allied legislation allows Law Enforcement to skirt around some basic legal theory in order to prove criminal conspiracy.

Maybe a thread on how preconceptions concerning extra-terrestials influences UFO lore.

Or maybe a thread on how a large number of "ancient technology posts" are made in a near total "knowledge-vacuum" regarding ancient written records; and how this attitude perpetuates the racist myths that other cultures cannot have produced majestic monuments without exterrestial help . . .

Or maybe that "democracy" is the perfect veil for the reptilian elite to hide behind, and that noted Tyranosaur Cecil Rhodes wrote about letting Americans "think" they are independent of the British Empire.

Or maybe a thread about how psychology and the "soft" sciences are guilty of "physics envy," and this is used by NWO sociologists to mask their nefarious plans for world domination, by hiding behind statistics.

Conspiracy is in the eye of the philosopher, after all.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You can count me in for this one too!!!

In a way every single catagory that is already here at ATS could be said to be Philosophy. But I think an open Philosophy forum that allowed for less defined topics of interest could be a good thing if done correctly.

For example, the discussion of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" could very easily fit the requirements of Conspiracy Related and yet isn't exactly the type of thing that would belong in the Religious/Paranormal/etc. section in the typical sense. However, at the same time can be seen to relate directly to many of the current sections all at the same time in some ways.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, this was also suggested on this thread over on the "Faith, Sprituality, and Theology" forum on BTS. And then there is the Philosphy forum over on IgnoranceDenied.com. Still I would like to see one, but it would probably be better suited to be on BTS then ATS.

top topics

join