Yes, I CAN already hear the heckles from the balcony seats.
I mean seperate from the religious/ethics discussion.
Would there be any posts?
Here are several I would put there:
1. My thread "200 year-old challenge to metaphysics," about Immanuel Kant's philosophical work about why the supernatural 'sciences' have made
no real progress, and people's answers to him.
2. A disucssion of whether the nation-state is becoming obsolete. About how the concept of a 'nation' as a piece of real estate was a functoin of
the 'enlightened despots' of the 17th century. Louis XIV, the British house of Hannover, and the Russian Romanovs invented the modern "state" as
a way to justify their reigns over varied ethnic groups, and also to justify grabbing other people's real estate. In the information age, is this
outdated concept of 'nation' becoming obsolete???
3. Can democracy be imposed/incubated in a muslim society? What about one with one a few ethnic groups, who are historically antagonistic; i.e.
Palestine, Iraq, Serbia, etc.
4. Have humans "progressed" in the last 500 years? Are we more mature in our emotions than our ancestors, or less so?
5. How should doctors decide who should get limited medical resources after a hurricane? Youngest first? Most likely to survive anyway? How do you
decided, when forced to, who's life matters more?
6. Is free enterprise inherently unstable, causing mom & pop businesses to compete and eventually grow into multinational conglomerates, and
eventually stifling genuine competition? What about democracy--doesn't it cause people to form political parties and lobbying groups???
I know that I and others could find interesting things to post. But the real question remains:
Would anyone read it????