It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamers Rally In Katrina Support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Online gamers who play the hugely popular Everquest 2 now have a new command line to donate to the Katrina relief effort. "/donate" was added to the games functionality in a bid to encourage its hundreds of thousands of users to donate money. Sony Online Entertainment, SOE, have also suspended the automatic billing of all its members who are in the effected areas until they next logon. The move comes so that those unable to cancel their subscriptions do not get billed. In a similar move, Bungie - the makers of Xbox's Halo 2, are also actively encouraging their subscribers to donate to the appeal.

news.bbc.co.uk
Online gamers are joining the US public to give their support to those affected by the aftermath of the destructive hurricane Katrina.

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is rallying support for those caught up in the disaster via its massive community of players in Everquest II.

Players of the online game can make in-game donations to the Red Cross.

SOE said it was also suspending some 13,000 account holders from the affected areas until they log in again.

"We look at all our subscribers as an extended family," Chris Kramer from SOE told the BBC News website.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What a great idea!

I came across a similar premise when I logged into my newsgroup access provider (Easynews.com) about 30 mins ago. I could donate gigabytes of bandwidth I'd already paid for at 25c/gig so I donated 40gb to the relief fund. Currently they are at $23,000 donated.

Making donation easy is the crucial factor in boosting donations. I remember I donated twice to the Tsunami appeal, first I sought out where to donate and did, and second when I came across the same Easynews setup I dontated further.

I applaud the videogame industry for their efforts here. Well done

[edit on 9-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Its all very good doing a command line in EQ2, but the game is so resource intensive (there isnt a computer out there that can run it with setting s to the full yet), that entering that command and being taken out of the game window and loading up a browser would cause some issues there.

Good idea, but again, poorly planned and implemented. Should just have a link on the logon screen, not whilst the game is running....

[edit on 3/9/05 by stumason]

join