NEWS: Russian Diplomat Arrested and Charged - Diplomatic Immunity Waived By U.N.

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Vladimir Kuznetsov, a Russian Foreign Ministry official and the elected chairman of the powerful U.N. General Assembly's budget advisory committee has been arrested in an F.B.I raid. He was charged with money laundering and accepting money as bribes from contracters and some sources say the case is involved around the Iraqi AID bribes scandals although his indictment does not state this. United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan agreed to revoke Mr Kuznetsov's diplomatic immunity after requests from US prosecutors in charge of the case.

today.reuters.com
The arrest was only the latest scandal plaguing the world body following allegations of corruption and mismanagement in the defunct $64 billion U.N. oil-for-food program for Iraq, and a senior procurement officer's admission he had demanded illegal payments from would-be U.N. contractors.

Kuznetsov was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, according to an indictment signed by U.S. Attorney David Kelley.

Sergei Trepelkov, a senior counselor in Moscow's U.N. Mission, said the mission had been told the charges against Kuznetsov were connected to the U.N. humanitarian aid program for Iraq. But the indictment made no mention of this.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well it goes to show that the diplomatic immunity doesn't really exist at all. The Russian should have been free from prosectution, all matters of guilt and innocence aside. I find it worrisome when Kofi Annan can just wipe the diplomatic immunity with a wave of the pen. It's not just about this case, its a law that has been standard for many years changed instantly.

While i agree this man has done wrong and should face consequences that does not mean overturning a law and system to accommodate these prceedings. This was a right and as many of our rights, has been stripped away and the UN proves once again that it can do what it likes.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Diplomatic immunity is a courtesy to avoid minor tickets, fines, etc. for individuals who must constantly deal with new laws as they travel.

It is not carte blanche to committ murder, fraud of millions of dollars, etc.

It has been revoked before and will be again in the face of serious charges.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Diplomatic Immunity is a joke, even by the standards stated by Gazrok. A courtesty to not stumble when you may not know the laws? The majority of the time, it is used with full awareness of the law, to just ignore it outright.

I think the whole thing should be revoked anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I agree it should be revoked overall but I find it worrisome that Kofi Annan can just changed rules to suit himself. This time it's something that is a good thing, next time and next issue bothers me.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I happen to think that if anyone should have the authority to waive Diplomatic Immunity, that it should be the Secretary General of the United Nations. Regardless of your opinion of Kofi personally, and I think he's a crook, he is well within his authoritative boundaries when waiving Immunity in this case. A serious crime has been committed. And I would like to think that even if an American diplomat committed the same crime in Russia that immunity would be waived for him as well, and that he would be brought to trial.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Diplomatic immunity is extremely important and its to secure a nations diplomats regardless of where they are, war time and in peace. You do not tamper with a nation's diplomats unless you want yours to be tampered with. Its continued existance is more for your own interests than it is for the guilty party. You can arrest some ones diplomat and you will probably take a scumbag off the streets but you will also be endangering your own diplomats across the globe. This is why no nation screws around with another countries diplomats.

Im with Mayet on this one (no surprise there), all guilt issues aside, you cannot revoke diplomatic immunity and even if you could it should be the Russians revoking it, not Kofi Annan in the UN. You can have the same result here - Russian diplomat arrested and charged after the Russians revoke the immunity they bestowed on him. Doesnt that sound a bit more civilized and not an attack on a Russian diplomat?

Also, who gave the FBI jurisdiction over the UN oil for food scandal?

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
THE WFP MISSION STATEMENT:

www.wfp.org...

In December 1994, WFP's governing body adopted the WFP Mission Statement, the first for an United Nations organization.

The core policies and strategies that govern WFP activities are to provide food aid:

to save lives in refugee and other emergency situations;
to improve the nutrition and quality of life of the most vulnerable people at critical times in their lives; and
to help build assets and promote the self-reliance of poor people and communities, particularly through labour-intensive works programmes

Anyone else wondering at the moment if we have another agency failure relating to Katrina, let alone all the other UN programs that have now turned into scandals, particularly the one
causing this revocation of diplomatic immunity?

Actually, along with diplomatic immunity, I think there is a lot more about the UN that needs to be revoked.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
What on Earth does the World Food Programme have to do with this story Relentless?

In a similar story;

The UN has told Ukraine to withdraw its peacekeepers in Lebanon, saying some have engaged in "financial misconduct".

It gave no details, but Reuters news agency quotes unnamed UN officials as saying the troops have been involved in reselling $1m (£0.54m) worth of UN oil.

BBC: Scandal Hits Ukrainian UN Troops

There seems to be a decidedly Slavic slant on those being stomped on for the Oil for Food scandal. What ever happend to Annan's son in all this?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
What on Earth does the World Food Programme have to do with this story Relentless?

Well, as I am a mere occassional contributor, and you are a news expert, I wouldn't presume to explain that to you.

I'm sure some people have abnormal minds like me and got my point though.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Well, as I am a mere occassional contributor, and you are a news expert, I wouldn't presume to explain that to you.

Oh, please do

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Diplomatic Immunity is a courtesy, not a right. The laws of the nation which you are in must be respected and complied with to the best of your abilities. Obviously, there will be instances where Diplomats can rightfully claim ignorance due to a language barrier or other misunderstandings. In the case of laundering money and accepting bribes, a practice which is illegal in virtually every nation in the world, there can be no excuse. We're not going around and waiving immunity and arresting diplomats for petty offenses. Diplomats are arrested or deported around the world for committing crimes fairly regularly. But to sit around and expect Russia to waive immunity for one of its own agents is absurd. He would have been on the next plane back to Moscow and given a medal in a ceremony with Putin.

There is no one to blame here but the criminal himself. And I think we should allow the details of the alleged crime(s) to come to light before we start bashing Kofi Annan and the US Government. For all we know, this Russian could be a major player in more serious crimes, or even a member of a criminal organization. The reason I say this is that it would take an awful lot for the US to indict a foreign diplomat and have the Secretary General waive immunity. Our government understands the significance of maintaining a close, working relationship with Russia. We would not do anything to jeopardise that unless we felt it was absolutely necessary. Let's just wait and let this story play itself out...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
How can I put this?

Rasputin13, diplomatic immunity is not a privilege it is a diplomatic right. Most times a countries spies are given jobs as diplomats so that if they are ever uncovered they get a free ride back to their home country.

Anyone could frame a diplomat and make it look like they had commited a crime of any sort. Lets face it, if a government of even a medium size wanted to frame a single person they could do it with ease.

They would do this so that they could jail any ones spies or even diplomats they dont like. This could be done to any one, including American diplomats now.

Thats why diplomatic immunity is an irrevocable and unassailable right.

Annan has no right to remove a Russian's diplomatic status, that is Russia's perogative.

This is definately America cuttings its nose off to spite its face. They have just put their diplomats in danger.

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Subz-

Give me a break. What on Earth would we frame a Russian Diplomat for? If he was a spy, we'd deport him like we do all the other spies posing as diplomats that we've caught before. If we were so capable of framing anyone for anything, then why "laundering money" and "accepting bribes?" Wouldn't more serious crimes work better, considering we want to do more than just slap this guy on the wrist?

You're also strangely forgetting the American people's rights to not have foreigners with blanket immunity committing crimes on American soil. You want us to bend over backwards and allow diplomats to continue to committ whatever crimes they want here in our country, only to send them home and have them replaced with another criminal diplomat. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Kofi Annan would not waive this man's immunity because he has outstanding tickets for double-parking in the Bronx. There is obviously something serious here, and something more than what is being revealed in the press.

I hate to rain on your parade, but there is NO CONSPIRACY here. I don't want to ruin your weekend or anything like that. You just fail to understand that diplomacy is not entirely made up of butt-kissing and turning the other cheek. But since you seem to know everything, we'll just have to wait around and see how many American diplomats are arrested and charged in spite of their immunity in the future. Because according to you, there will be retaliation, right?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
You just fail to understand that diplomacy is not entirely made up of butt-kissing and turning the other cheek.

Yeah it is buddy, the converse of turning the other cheek is war.

Also I never said this Russian was framed, I was saying that its so easy for a government to frame someone that diplomatic immunity shouldnt be revoked.

What I am saying is that this sets the stage for American diplomats to be framed anywhere around the globe and the precedent is set for their diplomatic immunity to be waived. Really a genie you want cracked open?

Dont you find it interesting that the Americans are now giving so much credibility to Annan and the UN. So much so that they agree he can impinge on a sovereign nation's right to assign diplomatic immunity to their own citizens. I wonder if his magic powers extend to American diplomats? How would the United States take it if the roles were reversed and a U.S diplomat was implicated in the Oil for Food scandal and their diplomatic immunity was revoked? All fine and dandy or uproar and more U.N indignation?

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

new topics
top topics

join