It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Responds To Katrina Aftermath (List of Offers)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The World has responded to the plight of New Orleans and is sending equipment, personelle and cash to the area. The U.S government had initially refused the offers of help but now Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, has said "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused". Messages of condolence have also been pouring out of capitals around the globe.

news.yahoo.com
On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The list of offers brought a lump to my throat. It hammers home the magnitude of what the city of New Orleans is going through. The entire world is rallying to the aid of New Orleans and thankfully pride is now not getting in the way of accepting it.

The United States is a country of the World and the World is showing its compassion for its fellow humanbeings.

If anything, I hope this humbles the likes of John Bolton who are currently at the UN saying how the United States does not need the rest of the World as much as we need the United States. This is not an anti-American statement in the slightest, im just glad its now glaringly obvious that we are all in this business of life together and no one nation can go it alone, not even the United States.

The World will all help New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and that is all that matters now.

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Belgium has offered to send Medical units and I think it was 650 logistics troops if needed for safety supported by a bunch of combat troops.

The logistics troops are specialized in water purification (creating drinkable water from pritty much any source) repairing dams, dykes, levees, pumping systems. Repairing roads and bridges, any type of transportation system and so on.

Btw, I was thinking the exact same thing. "Lets hope that what happend brings some humbleness and gratitude back to the american politics and people, so that the ties between the nations of the world become a bit better again".

Heck, even Cuba wants to send 1100 doctors to help out even after being sanctioned and attacked by the US for the better part of the last 3 or 4 decades.

They also have massive experience with this situation. Cuba and Haiti usual get the brunt of the storms every year.

[edit on 3/9/05 by thematrix]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I hope this administration will swollow it's pride and accepts these offers. This will be a huge undertaking. It will get done faster if they can all work together.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
They have accepted the offers

Ms. Rice's statement is pretty unequivocal, they will not refuse any help that will alleviate the suffering of those affected by Katrina.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If bush admin did refuse to accept the offers, he and his admin better have a good expaination.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
although this situation is extremely terrible, i am glad beyond words at the kindness being extended by other countries. but the tragedy that needed to take place for even a small amount of humility to be learned just exposes the depths of our selfish pride.

i can't express how overwhelming it is to know that we have not yet been forsaken despite all the silly things our country does. i hope the world's patience with this young coutry of ours continues and some day we can return to the ideals that we were established by.

daved

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
They have accepted the offers

Ms. Rice's statement is pretty unequivocal, they will not refuse any help that will alleviate the suffering of those affected by Katrina.

The have not accepted all offers they turned one down from Russia earlier this week

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That was turned down before Ms. Rice's statement shots.

The Russian offer came on Tuesday

The administration's backlip came on Thursday

Another reason Americans are none too plused over the administration's handling of Katrina and the relief effort?

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Another reason Americans are none too plused over the administration's handling of Katrina and the relief effort?

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

No I do not think so, in this case the Russians only wanted to rescue their own citizens

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

That was turned down before Ms. Rice's statement shots.

The Russian offer came on Tuesday

The administration's backlip came on Thursday

[edit on 3/9/05 by subz]

I am sorry....is this the same Russian government that could not "rescue" their own people stranded in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean?..... And that incident didn't happen just once.

Is that the sort of government that is telling they are trying to help?...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
BTW how long do people think help from any of the other countries would take to arrive at the US?

I am sure it would take a while and not magically appear in the US as some seem to believe.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

No I do not think so, in this case the Russians only wanted to rescue their own citizens

Russians offered to help everyone... evacuating victims, including Russian citizens
en.rian.ru...

It's funny how brainwashed some people get from media, especially from Talk radio. The propagandist talk shows are the ones who where crying after Hurricane Katrina hit.. implying "It is truly amazing that other countries have not offered assistance to the devastation on the gulf coast. Is not the USA the first to offer assistance to other world disasters? ...what a crock of BS !!!..........................................

Wake up brainwashed US citizens, turn your trash talking radios off before your brains turn to mud. Systematic propagation will be the downfall of US all.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I find it to be VERY interesting that Saudi Arabia isn't on that list...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
BTW how long do people think help from any of the other countries would take to arrive at the US?

Once accepted faster then it took Bush to get there.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiS2000
I find it to be VERY interesting that Saudi Arabia isn't on that list...

Yes they have...

www.suburbanchicagonews.com...

The offers blur political lines. Cuba and Venezuela, for instance, have offered to help despite differences with Washington. Oil giant Saudi Arabia and tiny countries like Dominica are among the nations making pledges.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This just shows you how compassionate people really are, especially in the face of a huge disaster like this one.

I actually had to do a double take when I saw China on there, I suppose thats because all the things I've been reading about China being bad, but still pretty cool thatthat many countries are willing to help.

Maybe Iran should offer to be generous, they might make some good points with us.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I am sorry....is this the same Russian government that could not "rescue" their own people stranded in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean?..... And that incident didn't happen just once.

How many submarines have sunk in New Orleans exactly

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles

Originally posted by shots

Russians offered to help everyone... evacuating victims, including Russian citizens
en.rian.ru...

It's funny how brainwashed some people get from media, especially from Talk radio.

Wake up brainwashed US citizens, turn your trash talking radios off before your brains turn to mud. Systematic propagation will be the downfall of US all.

Pfft it was not talk radio that posted the first story it was carried on Yahoo news by either Reuters or AFP and at the time of the original story the US said no to the offer.

How do you Figure it is systematic US propaganda when it came from news services that are none US?

In October 1851 Paul Julius Reuter, a German-born immigrant, opened an office in the City of London

Not positive about AFP, but I do believe it was either London or France where they originated.

Now you were saying????????

[edit on 9/3/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If these countries are willing to offer whatever assistance they can, then by all means TAKE IT!!!! Look how long it took to clean up a section of NYC after the 9/11 attacks. Draining flood waters, repairing levies, rebuilding homes and businesses, is not going to be an easy task, and this is not the time for our administration to play the "we're the United States, we don't need any help" game.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I should add that Sri Lanka offered $25,000 which is probably a large amount for their country...I think the response is very impressive and surprising.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join