It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons for FEMA's slow response

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I have a theory on the sluggish response of FEMA. THis is just something that passed through my head. I really have no proof but if ya think about it, you can see it could happned.

FEMA had a slow response on purpose. They used this to gain more power "the next time" this happens. America would be more then happen to grant them more powers so they could be more effective if something was to happen again like this. Would u mind it if it was under the idea that it could help? Watch for bills giving more power to FEMA or a total recall or a new organization.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't know Quick.....

If FEMA is this all powerfull nefarious agency. Now you are going to have alot of uncomfortable attention focused on this agency by the public and congress. COngress will do so because the people are angry and want to get re-elected.

It seems that if they did a good job then the next go around would be easier for them. "Look we know what we are doing and we need this law etc. to do it better."

I think the issue here is with the scale and other factors. While FEMA has been a disaster in and of itself, 100% of the blame cannot be placed at thier feet here.

Why was the city itself not prepared? They knew Katrina was a Cat5 and the levys were rated at a 3 If I recall
Where was the LA government in all of this?
WHat about the people of NO? Did they not have preperation for themselves. (Being paranoid and living 3 miles from the San Andreas Fault we are as prepared as we can get for the big quake)

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
OH Fred i know that the blame is not on FEMA. This blame can be divided up to alot of people but that is not what we need to do.

I think tho that many people would be alot more app. to empower a agency that appears to be weak then they would for an agency that suceeds that keeps asking for more. Peoples emotion wil be stirred up by this and thats is the only thing that will get people to make drastic and dangerous decisions.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I dont believe the *edited* they are spewing out about this being diffrent than anything they they have encountered before.

Who dont I belive this... Here is why.

The Mayor of NO got on the radio today and stated that the governement needs to get off thier ass's and do something.

Ironically The army and 500 busses he asked for in that earlier radio show Magically appeared out of nowhere.

Also I think this is some type of Population Control going on. If you noticed there werent very many white people down there...... Not saying I am being racist in any form but lets get with it. Everytime there has been a major disaster FEMA has been on it like white on rice, flys on #, like light coming from the sun. Why is this disaster any diffrent??

As I stated on another post, I bet you if Mayor Nagin never got on the radio and said what he said, we would still be talking about why tf are they letting people stay there... It was 6 days before anyone did anything to help these people, and when people decided to help FEMA told them to take a long walk off a short pier.. The Canadains, The French, some swat guy who brought his own boats in to help in rescuing people... You name it this is all just a bunch of *edited* and everyone but Mayor Nagin is looking for good PR out of this. I think its time for us to stand up and do what is right cause what happned in NO is not the right way of doing things.. its the complete opposite...

Someone stated in another post somewhere that he pays taxes for these organization so things like this dont happen. Well guess what.. it did happened and now we need a MAJOR change in whatever these idiots plan on the next terrorist attack or major incident like this happens. cause actually I dont feel safe with these morons at the helm..

I think of this like the beginning stages of the Titanic.. I think people will realize # is bad a tad to late... by then we will all be dead.

Altho on a good note.. it is good some of the media besides your Alex Jones's and Mikes Savage's are started to ask wtf is going on, and why tf it took so long.

::EDIT::
Sorry for mistypes, was thinking and not looking.

[edit on 9/3/2005 by ThichHeaded]

Mod Edit: Removed Profanity

[edit on 9/3/05 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It's possible, if FEMA is indeed the control arm of a shadow government.

I think they failed to respond appropriately because of the idiotic shuffling of agencies going on in this country. The formation of this enormous DHS beast is sucking up a lot of resources and manpower, and it was occupying everybody's attention in the months and years before.

I think incompetence is generally a more plausible explanation of government screw-ups, rather than malicious intent. That's my feeling most of the time, and this situation seemed no different.

The mass evacuations, and the media's representation of the repurcussions for not evacuating, did strike an off chord with me. I, for one, would never get on one of their damn trucks, I don't care if they told me Godzilla was coming. This disaster hasn't changed my mind one bit about accepting local, federal, or state 'aid' in relocating. I do think, however, that a lot of other folks around the country have been convinced now that it's in their best interests to listen to their government's calls for mass migration.

Do you think the burst levvie (how the hell do you spell this word?) was intentional? I saw this speculation elsewhere on ATS, but I'm inclined to disbelieve.

As I said, I think the authorities just failed, once again, to do anything meaningful with the hundreds of billions of dollars the taxpayers give them every year. They're not good money managers, and they don't tell the truth, and they never take responsibility. It's a sham government, both Republican and Democrat are whoreishly available to any special interest that can pay to keep these leeches in the style to which they've become accustomed.

If there is a shadow hanging over America, it's likely nothing more than the noxious soul of my country clinging out of fear to the decaying corpse of a once-beautiful, long dead ideal - freedom and justice for all.

One look at any urban area in the country should tell you the dream has died (NO provided a vivid example this week).

I like the idea of a shadow government better because it's less depressing, but I also know it's less plausible than my dream/corpse fumes theory.

In any case, the above is just my opinion. You might, indeed, be right about FEMAs response time being intentionally slow.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Perhaps its a quarintine and they don't want to panic people.

Laboratories working with some of the most infectious diseases including but not limited to Marburg hemorrhagic fever (MHF),Ebola hemorrhagic fever (EHF),

1Present address: Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Do you think the burst levvie (how the hell do you spell this word?) was intentional? I saw this speculation elsewhere on ATS, but I'm inclined to disbelieve.

This part, since I am new to this in a conspiricy way.. Like most of us are.. I will go on what I have heard..

I have heard that Bush cut the buget for repairs on the Leeve System for the past 7 or so years, so when it came down to it.. the Leeves were never modernized or whatever you wanna call it.. Never repaired or anything.. pretty much just left there to rot..

Also from what I understand somewhere in the Netherlands has a same situation as NO, but they are 20ft under sea level.. I am not sure how weather is over there but from what I understand Bush can learn a few things from them over there.

I will try and get info on all this.. but I am tired so you might have to wait till tommow or something..

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Why was the city itself not prepared? They knew Katrina was a Cat5 and the levys were rated at a 3 If I recall
Where was the LA government in all of this?
WHat about the people of NO? Did they not have preperation for themselves. (Being paranoid and living 3 miles from the San Andreas Fault we are as prepared as we can get for the big quake)

From what I also understand is that the people who were stuck in NO at the time of the hurricane was in the majority of being poor.. as in these people lived in real life ghetto's you know.... The ones you see on TV and so on..

So in that I dont think that there was such a hot plan to get these people out in case something like this would happen. Or they must have been praying to whatever god they believe in to hope that the Leeve System held, which in fact they knew it wouldnt over a cat 3 storm.

But all and all the people left behind were poor people, some of the ones who were smart and stole cars where told to go back into the city by national gardsmen.. car was taken and they were thrown back into the city.

Heard that on Alex Jones today.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
But all and all the people left behind were poor people, some of the ones who were smart and stole cars where told to go back into the city by national gardsmen.. car was taken and they were thrown back into the city.

Do you have another source for this other than ALex Jones? Just curious..

So are you saying that the Mayor of NO who was on TV this morning did nothing to help evacuate these people prior to Katrina hitting????

Please do not get me wrong, I just wanted to point out in my first post that FEMA (Which is the focus of everybodies rage, mine included) is not the sole responsable party for this debacle.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I think incompetence is generally a more plausible explanation of government screw-ups, rather than malicious intent. That's my feeling most of the time, and this situation seemed no different.

I'm going to disagree with you there because the fact is we have huge investments in air force, navy, and ground troops. The government could have and I believe they know they could have began dropping food and troops from planes as soon as the hurricane went over the city. We all know that city was underwater and this is somthing that has been talked about for a long time. They do not need an aircraft carrior to drop food, clothes, water from planes! This is our homeland the resources are available very close from where this happened. 5 days! 5 days is soo long when you are talking about a situation like this. 5 days equals 5k (at least) more people dead in the city.

I am almost possitive at this point that this was not a case of gov incompetence. i think some branches of the gov are using this issue to give themselves more power also, possibly fema, or there is another disturbing reason they have been postponing aid untill the media began to point the issue out.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Do you have another source for this other than ALex Jones? Just curious..

So are you saying that the Mayor of NO who was on TV this morning did nothing to help evacuate these people prior to Katrina hitting????

Please do not get me wrong, I just wanted to point out in my first post that FEMA (Which is the focus of everybodies rage, mine included) is not the sole responsable party for this debacle.

1st part no sorry. I can prob hunt something down but give me a little bit of time..

2nd part I guess I am blaming everyone who was suppost to make sure something stupid like this shouldnt have happened.

Its common sense, how is someone without a car suppost to get out of an area without money or anything?? walk?? hell some of these people had between 2 and 5 kids or maybe more. so yes I am agreeing with you and blaming everyone.. Before the storm.. After the storm there is no exuse for any of this should have went down like this...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
All I can say is, I hope not. We'd better learn from the incredible failures taking place here, and FEMA had better be given far more resources for the future. On top of that, the Army Corps of Engineers have to stop being seen as a budget booster for other projects. A lot needs to change. I can only hope your theory is false. While the ends are definately needed, they do not justify the means.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
So let me make sure I understand...

FEMA intentionally had a slow response because their failure would make people want to give them more power for the next time. Right?

Hmmm....not sure I agree with this. We were always taught that the better you do, the bigger the reward. Losers find their level near the bottom.

You don't suppose that FEMA was waiting for the governor to pick up the phone, do you? Because she didn't until it was too late.

You don't suppose that FEMA was waiting for the call because Bush had declared a state of emergency on Saturday, August 27, do you? Because he had.

That's why governors have lieutenant governors; so that the call can be made if the governor is feeling icky or whatever. The feds won't just waltz in to your state and set up shop. Think of them like vampires...they have to be invited in.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Isn't the power bestowed on FEMA in this situation, combined with Martial Law, rather absolute already?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
the mayor did call for evacuations, there was no way to get all of the people out in time. even at the centers there was overcrowding. i live in s.c and hugo struck here not to long ago. yes there was an evacuation, but the poor people who had no way to go went like they were told and still died. but the difference here was that even before the storn hit, we were prepairing for it. getting supplies in place, guard troops and equiptment. it wasn't left to the mayor, the gov. and fema was here.
when bush placed the state in "emergency" mode on sat., that should have triggered the help that was needed. the gov, in her cute clothes and full belly hasn't even been to NO to see the devastation, she just waits for the cameras and bush. there are so many bases in the area that on tuesday morning there should have been troops rolling. there is no way everyone could have gotten out. even tourists were told to stay in their hotels. we knew there was people there that needed help.
and NOOO one on this board can tell me that in a situation like this you would not do everything in your power to provide for your family, even stealing. most people looting are doing it to survive, the few that are not need to be stopped, but the people just want to survive. the want to know that their country is there for them, but guess what, we were not there, and it's now been 5 days what a great country.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

(A) I think they failed to respond appropriately because of the idiotic shuffling of agencies going on in this country.
The formation of this enormous DHS beast is sucking up a lot of resources and manpower, and it was occupying everybody's attention in the months and years before.

(B)I think incompetence is generally a more plausible explanation of government screw-ups, rather than malicious intent. That's my feeling most of the time, and this situation seemed no different.

(C)The mass evacuations...

(D)In any case, the above is just my opinion. You might, indeed, be right about FEMAs response time being intentionally slow.

good points,
(A) consider that the former '800 Lb Gorilla' aka FEMA
is just a segment of the new '1Ton Gorilla' aka HomelandSecurity
and FEMAs orders to dispatch services & personnel comes down a chain-of-command

(B) i lean towards the 'malicious intent' as an equal part of the mix with incompetence...as i suggested in another thread, the neocons/NWOs
which are the backbone of this regime, seized an 'opportunity'
- -> the opportunity provided by natural forces, as in a cat.4 hurricane,
which gave the social engineers a large experimental lab to tinker with,
observing the group dynamics of isolated, deprived & 'given-up-for-dead' group which numbered in the 10s of thousands, in real time and in actual realistic, real world conditions.

(C) as far as the mass evacuations...
that segment of the city which resided in the slum areas, who also made up the class labeled the 'chronically poor',
are the same ones who have a wary-eye about gov't decrees or actions,
and the idea of boarding buses to somewhere while leaving all your belongings at the mercy of the predators & opportunists,
was not a elective option (given the odds of a catastrophe happening at some tomorrow)
?Did I mention that the monthly stipend checks were soon to be received!?
...that was another reason for some of those who did not evacuate.
heck, they felt they needed to do what they could to protect their resources from theft by the ever present vultures in society

(D) refer back to the (A) & (B) responses.
FEMA will most likely be the scapegoat, and the disinformation machine
will obfuscate the 'experiment' model, which i believe was in effect

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantthetruth

when bush placed the state in "emergency" mode on sat., that should have triggered the help that was needed. the gov, in her cute clothes and full belly hasn't even been to NO to see the devastation, she just waits for the cameras and bush. there are so many bases in the area that on tuesday morning there should have been troops rolling.

That is an excellent point. Normally when disater strikes a state, the governor is right out in front of the cameras, asking for help and giving updates on the situation. But not in this case. I've seen Haley Barbour and Trent Lott from Miss. on TV, but I can't remember having seen the gov of LA once. She seems to be MIA.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Trent Lott, now there's a real hero, a man of the people, a role model the children can look up to....

Anyway, she's done a couple of press conferences, but she has been on the recieving end of a lot of criticism, both from folks below and abover her on the totem pole.

I don't think she did a good job of handling the disaster. She appears to be another in a long line of ball-droppers.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Trent Lott, now there's a real hero, a man of the people, a role model the children can look up to....

Second only to those noble gentlemen such as Robert Byrd, eh?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Second only to those noble gentlemen such as Robert Byrd, eh?

Cept' Byrd has the real credentials, while Lott doesn't

top topics

<<   2 >>

join