It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is that an upside down U.S. flag?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Am I seeing things clearly? Do I see an upside down American flag as an icon for 'Katrina Aftermath'?

Please tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me. I'm sure this site has more respect than that.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
upside down flags symbolise a nation is crisis. Like after a devastating hurricane.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Flying the flag upside down is a distress signal. No offence meant.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Half mast i can understand

But upside down??? whats up ats?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Nothing disrespectful about that. An upside-down flag is a traditional signal of distress.

I would certainly say the region is in distress.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Flying the flag upside down is a distress signal. No offence meant.

That's interesting. What does a backwards signal flag indicate?
I wonder if it is relevant to our troops in Iraq wearing theirs backwards?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I guess we normally do not hang flags upside down for distress (in the U.S.). We typically hang them at half-mast. I'm certain this will raise quite a few American brows, for sure.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I guess we normally do not hang flags upside down for distress (in the U.S.). We typically hang them at half-mast. I'm certain this will raise quite a few American brows, for sure.

No thats for mourning.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
That's interesting. What does a backwards signal flag indicate?
I wonder if it is relevant to our troops in Iraq wearing theirs backwards?

The patches worn backwards are so the flag is always flying in the wind.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

www.jeffhead.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Half-mast was traditionally reserved for presidents or other high-ranking officials. It has been watered down quite a bit over the last 30 years or so. But it is more a symbol of mourning.

Upside-down is a symbol of extreme distress. Not used much anymore, admittedly, but traditionally so. I see it as a call for immediate action to save the thousands who will die if not evacuated.

The time for a half-mast flag will be once all the dead are accounted for.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
No, really... I highly doubt it has to do with a patch flying in the wind. Even if that is the case, what does the Conspiracy Community say is the reason behind this practice?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Not only is it up side down, it is half mast too if you notice.

Personally, I feel it should have been that way since Bush Jr. took office, go ahead and see my earlier posts.

There is nothing wrong with the flag being displayed that way other than it coming down to such being required. It is a signal more people should be less ignorant of. Nothing disrespectful, sad yes.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The backward patch:

slate.msn.com...

Only the flag patches affixed to right shoulders of uniforms are reversed, so the blue field of stars faces forward. (Left shoulder patches aren't a problem, as the stars face forward without meddling.) The reversal was inspired by the age-old practice of carrying flags into battle. When fastened to a standard, the American flag's blue-and-white portion is always closest to the pole. A flag bearer rushing into the fray, then, would naturally lead with the stars. In fact, it would be virtually impossible to lead with the stripes—the flag would simply wilt and wrap around the pole, rather than waving triumphantly in the wind.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I believe it all started with ships at sea. If you see an upside down flag, you know something is wrong.

The reason the flag is 'backwards' on uniform is so that the flag isn't in retreat, but always going forward. As if you are holding is on a staff.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The term backwards flag is really meaningless. Flags are two sided and can only have a backward if they are flying INTO the wind, which is nonsensical.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I find it alarming how so many people are willing to get all bent out of shape due soley to their own ignorance.

FYI, the whole hanging of the flag upside down was purely a form of demonstration ment to show that the nation was in crisis. This was adopted from older millitary traditions. A unit flying their flag upside down ment they had taken casualties and needed re-enforcements.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

It is indeed a dire distress signal. The mayor of New Orleans flew the flag upside down yesterday. The forum icon (at least for now) is a nod in his direction.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think curme has it right. At least that's the way I was told by an old=timer.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If it isn't an issue, I feel it should remain the forum icon.
Nothing gets the piont across better, than what gets peoples attention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join