It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castro Offers to Send 1,100 Doctors For Relief Aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread documenting all foreign offers of aid but I felt this deserves it's own thread.

CUBA: Castro offers to send 1,100 doctors to help with US hurricane relief efforts

HAVANA (AP) - President Fidel Castro announced in a live television broadcast Friday that he had just issued a second offer to the United States to send 1,100 Cuban doctors to help care for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

"These personnel have international experience and the language skills necessary to attend to patients," Castro said on state television. He said the first 100 doctors have been equipped with backpacks filled with medicine and first aid supplies and are ready to travel as soon as Friday night to Texas, where many of the hurricane victims have been evacuated.

"We are offering life, to save 10, 100, 1,000," said Castro.

The Cuban leader said his government was hoping for a rapid response, "hopefully immediately so as not to lose another minute."

Castro said a diplomatic note containing the offer was sent late Friday afternoon to the U.S. Interests Section, the American mission here, and was the second such offer of its kind made this week.

I don't care what people think about Cuba or Castro or Venezuela and Chavez, but these people have more Christian spirit than so called ministers. I know we'll most likely not accept Castro's offer, but the American public needs to be aware that whether it is is a symbolic gesture or not, it was made by countries that considered to be threats to us by our current administration. Keep in mind, Venezuela also offered aid and Iran sent condolences, quite an interesting world we live in. I hope we can learn multiple lessons from the aftermath of Katrina.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It only takes a natural disaster to make people all around the world willing to offer their generosity.

I imaging that the images of the people in the south is reaching almost any country in the world.

US has a very high profile after all.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Now the question is.....

Will ppl let down their ego and accept.

AND.......

Whats the fine print?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Cuba has the best doctors in the world now. As much as i hate that bearded man who stole my country, i have to say he's done a fine thing by offering. I thank him and Chavez for their generosity, and their humanity.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
And Sri Lanka offered what must sem like a veritable fortune to them; $25,000 in aid.

I hope I will never again see anyone moaning about how others do not come to the aid of America.

George Bush made three separate pleas for cash donations within the last 24 hours, and that should humble even the most staunch patriot.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is truly as you say WW - a noble thing for Castro to do. Even with the economic slashing of wrists that the US inposed on Cuba with the embargo - seems so long ago - yet look at the humanitarian effort to offer doctors to the US now.

This is how it should be - it is not just a US problem to see it's own people dying but the world is watching and some of them, politics and feuds aside, are quite compassionate and humanitarian when the need calls.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It could be generosity...or it can be the fact that there are Cubans also living in the areas affected...>_>

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I don't care what people think about Cuba or Castro or Venezuela and Chavez, but these people have more Christian spirit than so called ministers. I know we'll most likely not accept Castro's offer, but the American public needs to be aware that whether it is is a symbolic gesture or not, it was made by countries that considered to be threats to us by our current administration. Keep in mind, Venezuela also offered aid and Iran sent condolences, quite an interesting world we live in. I hope we can learn multiple lessons from the aftermath of Katrina.

Amen to that!

Completly Agree with You.

Big Up for Castro!

top topics

join