It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Props to MSNBC!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Of all the coverages of the disaster in New Orleans, MSNBC has been the most unbiased and truthful of all the networks. FOX/CNN and the comments they have made over the last couple days at times sounded like they could care less or the people of New Orleans deserved it. Often showing footage of so called "looters", when those people are trying to get food and other necessities to survive. While FOX/CNN has been cautious with their words about the so called "relief efforts" MSNBC has been telling it like it is and im sure a couple reporters will be under fire for their comments last night as i watched, but they were absolutely right. The American government has failed its citizens, and shown not only the citizens of New Orleans, but the citizens of the America and the world that there is still a line in the sand that separates the people of this country, and that their interest isn't in the safety and well being of the people of this country the way that it is portrayed. My prayers are with all of the victims of this travesty.

Mod Edit: ALL-CAPS title.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I would like to weigh in in a forum I rarely post in...

I agree that MSNBC is the go to place as far as mainstream media. They're not perfect (far from it actually), but they don't have near the political baggage of the other big ones. They have done a great job on this.

Also...I would like to applaud you in accurately selecting the word "travesty" instead of tragedy for your closing comment of your post. The trajedy occurred many days ago, the coverage for the past week has been on the travesty.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I would like to add that many of the survivors do not want to be labeled "victims". They feel that this label only serves to victimize them. As survivors, they ask for a hand up. Not a hand out to the poor helpless victims. Let's start giving them back their dignity.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ya, I usually watch MSNBC more than Fox/CNN. They, in conjunction with their other partners, NBC, Telemundo, etc. devoted 30 minutes to raise money for the victims of the hurricane. They're also rather unbiased, which i like a lot.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
My husband favorite station is MSNBC, but I have seem some harsh comment coming from one of the reporters in NO at Fox, so I think they are becoming critical of the situation also.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity blame Bill CLinton, everyone else blames Bush. WHo cut millions from the levee/dam/pumps that would have turned this disaster into nothing? Bush. Not Clinton, under him millions were put in to help keep this from happeneing, until Bush took that money and gave it to Haliburton.

Don't watch MSNBC though, not as entertaining as Fox and their Bush worship.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I just saw Shepard Smith with Fox speaking to O Reilly and he was not too happy with the situation the last few days in NO. O'Reilly seemed to keep wondering if Shepard was trying to say that minorities were being passed up for help with his usual smirkish look he does. Shepard Smith seemed to be standing up to O Reilly implying that a unfairness towards the poor, elderly and blacks was indeed taking place in a round about way.

Of course Shepard is on location in the war zone and watched it for 4 days while O Reilly sits in his nice studio with iced frappacinos.

Shepard, I saw it in your face....you almost were about to ream O Reilly a new one

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
I just saw Shepard Smith with Fox speaking to O Reilly and he was not too happy with the situation the last few days in NO. O'Reilly seemed to keep wondering if Shepard was trying to say that minorities were being passed up for help with his usual smirkish look he does. Shepard Smith seemed to be standing up to O Reilly implying that a unfairness towards the poor, elderly and blacks was indeed taking place in a round about way.

Of course Shepard is on location in the war zone and watched it for 4 days while O Reilly sits in his nice studio with iced frappacinos.

Shepard, I saw it in your face....you almost were about to ream O Reilly a new one

Okay, this goes with what I was told about a conversation between Tony Snow and O'Reilly last night. I was told that Tony was in Bill's face about him not understanding what it was like there. So now we have TWO FOX reporters on location telling Bill to get over himself and that things are worse than he's trying to portray them.

That's interesting.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I can't stand MSNBC its so amature in there news delivery I will agree Cable National News (CNN) is bias, but they too are telling you how it is. You cant ingnore that there is widespread rioting that is expodentially becoming more of an epidemic, soon it will be a pandemic. Its a crisis it could not have been avoided forever however it could have been lessened I congradulate CNN on bringing responsiblility where it lies, HOWEVER politics should go on the side this is an excellent oppritunity for the political spectrum to come together. But it seems to be even more partasin and that is a damn shame, can't we forget about politics for a second and consintrate on the most important thing on the agenda for this nation right now and that is saving americans heart.

P.S. The North is americas brain HA!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Yeah Valhal: I saw it about 8:25pm CST on Fox. I have always liked Shepard Smith..hes laid back and tries to be humorous. Not your typical Neocon talkin head. You could tell he wanted to let loose on O Reilly but it was like he didnt want to jeapordize his job or position in their employee heiarchey.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Guys good, I think he is the usual guy in the morning, except now he in NO. Use to watch Fox in the morning when I went to school/first shift at ABCWH. Wonder who he made mad to get sent there. He doesn't even have a gun, all that fancy equipment, might as well send him to the middle of NYC or Detroit at 1am with it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
I just saw Shepard Smith with Fox speaking to O Reilly and he was not too happy with the situation the last few days in NO.

That is right last night O'Reilly even told him to be careful of what he was saying.

Shepard was very upset too.

And tonight it was Geraldo Rivera he was so angry he was almost crying and telling people to get the heck out of the dome and walk down the street for help.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Oh yeah, saw that, he was pissed because if you tried to leave the government would send you back. They had stations set up on a road that left the city to make sure no one left, as he pointed out surronding cities had electricity and water, but no one could go there because the government said so. he even said naughty words in his anger.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yes he was very angry his PRican temper was showing all over his face, he,he,

It got to me that people can not even leave the area, seven days tomorrow in the same place wearing the same clothes.

No baths, or other means for sanitation, and I can not even imagine where they are doing their bodily functions.

Very depressing.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well I don't watch alot of television if i can help it but I have been following the news from time to time, and I have to give Ted Koppel a big
for his Nightline Interview last night with the Director of FEMA said FEMA wasn't 'officially' made aware of the Convention Center, which at one point Ted actually asked the man, "Don't you watch TV?!.... Our reporters have been talking about the convention center for days!"

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Its an emotional time and I think its time for Geroldo, Shepered to leave they obliviously had all they can take and tonights broadcast showed that when they started freaking out.

The national guard just can't magically appear especially with flooded streets, hoodlums in the streets and thousands of angry people. It will take time but they will get there. Tomorrow I think we should be seeing the full force of the national guard and the relief effort moving forward. They also estimate most of the city should be out of there by then.

This is a terrible disaster and the response to it has been slow but its untestable. I think bush did a good job making that point today and I think he should have some props, he did a better job then the mayer of Louisiana if you ask me.

I also hope this makes the world realize Americans can care less who is black, Hispanic, white, or what ever. There are Babbie's in the street going hungry and elderly people dieing without there prescriptions and mothers who lost there kids and husbands, thats all we care about and I think the people of the united states can grow stronger from this, maybe not economically but socially.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
Its an emotional time and I think its time for Geroldo, Shepered to leave they obliviously had all they can take and tonights broadcast showed that when they started freaking out.

The national guard just can't magically appear especially with flooded streets, hoodlums in the streets and thousands of angry people. It will take time but they will get there. Tomorrow I think we should be seeing the full force of the national guard and the relief effort moving forward. They also estimate most of the city should be out of there by then.

This is a terrible disaster and the response to it has been slow but its untestable. I think bush did a good job making that point today and I think he should have some props, he did a better job then the mayer of Louisiana if you ask me.

I also hope this makes the world realize Americans can care less who is black, Hispanic, white, or what ever. There are Babbie's in the street going hungry and elderly people dieing without there prescriptions and mothers who lost there kids and husbands, thats all we care about and I think the people of the united states can grow stronger from this, maybe not economically but socially.

1. The national guard could have been there faster. The higher levels of government knew they type of disaster they were facing when the levee's broke.

2. Bush has done a terrible job and has showed less enthusiam towards a solid solution compared to the 9/11 crisis, considering that this is even worse.

3. The Mayor of New Orleans(Ray Nagdin) has called out the "powers that be" in a way never before done. He didnt hold his lip for the president or anyother members of the government that knew about the situation and did nothing to help sooner. He also spoke with the president before the situation became extremely critical. They suggested that the Mayor use school buses to get people out, which is when he asked "Have you seen the school buses?" (because they were all waterlogged) and then told the government to get Greyhound, Indian Trails and whomever else could help to get people out, and this was two days ago! So, with that said(and i could go on cuz ive followed this story from the t.v. to the web, to the family that i have along those states hit) our government has failed tremendously in the eyes of the survivors of Katrina, America, and the world abroad to this point. We'll see what is done in the later stages of this travesty!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The media as usual has done a poor job of reporting. Some have done better then others. People like O'Reily, Hannity, Colmes and Scarburro should not be covering these stories. I've heard some of the dumbest comments comming from these people. A lot of the information is inaccurate or out of sync with footage shown giving the wrong impressions. Yes the looting and rioting is horrible and should be harshly dealt with. But the majority of those people are just trying to survive including the mayor. He is in his City tonight with no running water or AC enuring temps in the 90's during the day. I must say the mayors of the cities and the governers of Lousisana and Alabama have taken strong stances to defend and help their states. I do believe the Ms. Gov is also very active but my attention has been more on AL and LA. Maybe now we can smile and say hello to our neighbors instead of biting each other's A**es.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by AlabamaCajun]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
[edit on 2-9-2005 by digitalassassin]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by HALO77

Originally posted by iksmodnad

1. The national guard could have been there faster. The higher levels of government knew they type of disaster they were facing when the levee's broke.

2. Bush has done a terrible job and has showed less enthusiam towards a solid solution compared to the 9/11 crisis, considering that this is even worse.

3. The Mayor of New Orleans(Ray Nagdin) has called out the "powers that be" in a way never before done. He didnt hold his lip for the president or anyother members of the government that knew about the situation and did nothing to help sooner. He also spoke with the president before the situation became extremely critical. They suggested that the Mayor use school buses to get people out, which is when he asked "Have you seen the school buses?" (because they were all waterlogged) and then told the government to get Greyhound, Indian Trails and whomever else could help to get people out, and this was two days ago! So, with that said(and i could go on cuz ive followed this story from the t.v. to the web, to the family that i have along those states hit) our government has failed tremendously in the eyes of the survivors of Katrina, America, and the world abroad to this point. We'll see what is done in the later stages of this travesty!

The mayer is demanding this stuff, he is doing nothing to make it happen. He is acting in an un professional manner (swearing and making demands that can;t happen in a day) creating the confusion which is holding the rescue effort back.

BUSH KNOWS THIS AND ADMITTED THE RESPONSE WAS BAD AND HE IS TAKING NON STOP ACTION.

bush can't win for loosing and thats a fact.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by iksmodnad]

top topics

join