It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levees, not designed for cat 4 or more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This appears to be an unbiased look at the history of New Orleans'
Levee system.

From the article:
-------------------------------------
"It was fully recognized by officials that we had Category Three [hurricane] level of protection," Strock said. "As projections of Category Four and Five were made, [officials] began plans to evacuate the city.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I invite you all to take a look.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

This may settle some accusations that are currently flying around..

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I was sure there would be a flurry of activity in this topic.
Most of the other threads related to this are just buzzing.
Whats up?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Personally given the limited resources of the Mayor's office, the Local Gov't did a admirable job in getting the majority of the population to evacuate, saved allot of lives as did the real time weather monitoring.

The State and the Feds dropped the ball IMHO.

Not wanting to pick a bone or anything but if Canada's crack relief team wasn't delayed entry they could have saved dozens maybe hundreds more lives.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Canadian relief team denied entrance?
What happened? when was that?
Are they allowed in now?
Bureaucracies....

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Yeah by HLS to boot. Looking for the thread now.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think they've crossed the border now though, may even be working in the effected area's now.

EDIT Also note that I said what I said in that thread out of frustration, no offense intented

[edit on 3-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Just read that thread
What a crock..
To many chiefs..not enough workers..
I hope you know the American public appreciates the effort.
And I really mean that

Did you, by chance read the National Geographic article I cited in this thread?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Did you, by chance read the National Geographic article I cited in this thread?

Yeah it's pretty much what the Army Corp Engineer guy said on CNN and allot of the info the BBC special focused on a couple of nights before.

The defenses were totally inadequete for a Cat 4 let alone a 5 and wasn't the evacuation order given shortly after it became clear what the strength of the storm was? Human nature always leads to these types of disasters but we should never not be pissed when it happens. We should be striving to correct the follies of the past, I'm not saying that NO should be abandoned. The way we plan cities in area's of risk should be picked apart with a fine toothed comb and adjustments should quickly follow. After the blame game peters out, I really hope we all start looking inward into just how humans, cities and geography can live in relative harmony. It sounds idealistic but then again 15 years ago Nanotechnology was just a Drexlerite wet dream.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread I started in response to the Hurricane. It's all about how Nanotechnology can help make cities immune to things like Hurricanes.

I hope you know the American public appreciates the effort.
And I really mean that

I know you do. We may have our little trade and political squabbles but overall our countries stick together.

EDIT: This is the type of thinking I'm talking about!

www.worldchanging.com...

Really great if idealistic read.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

join