It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics in America - Hang Your Heads In Shame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else, but ever since the disaster in the SE, it is becoming increasingly more difficult for me to watch news coverage or read the news online. Why? Because of all the sickening political carping back and forth. It isn't sufficient to simply report the conditions and tell the stories - someone has to be blamed; a shallow instant analysis is more important than straight facts, or objective truths, or even positive suggestions on how to make the situation better.

One must only read a handful of the stories posted at the Drudge Report to get a sense of how far we have fallen.

How about, just for a change, we suspend the finger pointing for a while. How about we take a month, at least, and focus on taking time to take care of the actual problems - get involved, donate funds, material, whatever. At some point, it'll be clear that New Orleans has a plan to get back on their feet. Once that is done, people should be sufficiently well informed to make intelligent assessments of what went right, and what went wrong with the immediate response.
Then we can go back to the petty, nonsensical, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred of the left or the right that is so entertaining.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.breitbart.com...

sg.news.yahoo.com...

Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalLaser
I don't know about anyone else, but ever since the disaster in the SE, it is becoming increasingly more difficult for me to watch news coverage or read the news online. Why? Because of all the sickening political carping back and forth. It isn't sufficient to simply report the conditions and tell the stories - someone has to be blamed; a shallow instant analysis is more important than straight facts, or objective truths, or even positive suggestions on how to make the situation better.

Exactly. Very well said! It's absolutely sickening to me that so many people are trying to exploit this incredibly tragic event for their stupid political gain. It makes me want to burst out in a fit of profanity, but I'm better than that. It seems like as soon as this struck, people were jumping online to dig up as much information as they could, so as to find somebody to accuse. Then they hide under the guise of "We just want the truth!". For Christ's sake, couldn't you wait until people have stopped dying before bringing your filthy partisan games into this? "Bush is to blame". Yeah, shut the Hell up. People are dying, can't you wait two God damned seconds before trying to push your political agenda on everybody? Might as well just walk on over the dead bodies and hold a political rally right there. (I'm sorry for the graphic analogy) Nobody's to blame. It's a natural disaster. If you wanna say anybody is to blame, it's all of the collective government officals, including ones in the effected area, not just one person.

I was actually proud of Hannity for what he's been doing the last few days. I was listening, and although people were trying to bring him into the mud-pit, he was refusing to turn this into another floor for political debate.

There. I've said what I've said. I'm refusing to get drawn into any sort of political debate over this. At least until after it's all settled down.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It truly is disgusting but I do understand it.
I think the logic behind it is that they feel that if the issues arent raised now while people are worked up they'll just be swept under the rug like every other scandal thats struck this country in recent years. The democratic politicians tried the meek polite attitude after 9/11 regarding the Iraq War. All it got them was a record of hypocrisy for supporting the move to war. Its not nice but there is a blood in the water and the Democrats would be fools if they didnt take advantage. Thats just the way politics is in this country. The Republicans would be doing the exact same thing if the positions were reversed.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I can't say I'm surprised at the political bickering, flaming and blaming.
The political hysteria in the US has been growing for years and with Katrina has reached a new peak....or should I say low.
The miedia helps matters not al all, in fact they make it much worse as they more and more often don't report the news but comment and editorialize. One channel even had a cameraman "reporting" "news" a few days ago.
How many of those who are most vocal in the blame game are running for office in next year? I know I've made a list of possible vote-getters

This is a gigantic tragedy that could have possibly been avoided if the levees were equipped to handle a large storm, the wetlands were not disappearing on a grand scale and NOLA had an evacuation plan theat worked.
Now that the horse is out of the barn, folks are screaming to close the gate. I just shake my head.

top topics

join