It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy is really a daddy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Science is a moving target and often controversial issues need to be reexamined a number of times to make certain that what we know really is true. So, too, in the case of certain artifacts.

Experts say mummy is not that of Nefertiti

The Associated Press

Related:
� More science news

CAIRO, Egypt -- A mummy displayed on the Discovery Channel as the probable remains of Queen Nefertiti is actually a male skeleton, according to Egyptian state archaeologists.

"Examinations show that it was that of a male, between the ages of 16 and 19," the spokesman of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, Hassan Nasrallah, said Monday.

The Discovery Channel broadcast pictures of the mummy in June, quoting archaeologist Joann Fletcher of Britain's York University as saying there was a "strong possibility" the mummy was that of Nefertiti.

A queen famed for her beauty -- her name meant "the beautiful woman has come" -- Nefertiti was married to the Pharaoh Akhenaton, who ruled 1379-1362 B.C. Two statues of Nefertiti, now in the Egyptian museums in Cairo and Berlin, depict her with high cheekbones, full lips, almond-shaped eyes and a long neck.

The mummy was found more than a century ago in a tomb containing other mummies known as KV35 in the Valley of the Kings, near Luxor, southern Egypt.

Fletcher took a new interest in the mummies after she found a royal wig in the tomb

They're arguing over hip bone measurements and age (yes, it's hard to tell)... don't know if there's enough unadulterated material to run a DNA analysis. In either case, the rest of the story is here:
www.ajc.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Experts say mummy is not that of Nefertiti

Major bummer, I watched that tv special on Nefertiti. At the time all the evidence was pointing to it being a female aged mid to late 20's. They did xrays and reconstructed the face using computer forensic technology - looked like a girl to me!

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Link wasn't found...

Regardless of what is being said, she made some pretty compelling comments... One thing is for sure, Nefertiti was not properly buried in the tomb prepared for her...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
this cracks me up so very much. I also watched the Discovery Channel special, and was really disappointed. it offered nothing I didn't already know except for some really sketchy evidence pointing towards the identity of the mummy. (what can I say, I'm an Egypt geek
) kind of put me off watching any more of TDC 'event' specials. I feel kind of bad for the researcher who's baby that theory was...must suck to have something you think you've decided conclusively so totally shot down.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Even that article is pretty sketchy (link works now)....

especially here:

"The head of the Supreme Council, Zahi Hawass, said at the time of the Discovery broadcast that any similarity between the mummy's face and Nefertiti's statues would not be valid because in the 18th dynasty, "art was idealistic and not realistic."

Sorry, but unlike most Egyptian art, the art under Ahkenaton and Nefertiti moved to a more realistic style, versus the stylization characteristic of before and after... This is evident in the sculptures and paintings of Ahkenaton, as he was somewhat disfigured due to a disease, and no effort is made to hide this in such art...as it would have been before and after this time.... Kind of scary that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.....

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Looks like alot more research needs to be done to find out the truth in this case. I hope that the Discovery Channel scientists are willing to debate thier findings and do more research and tests to safely determine who the mummy may be

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Oh damn. Too bad, I thought that we had finally found here.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so quick to concede.... There were a lot of points made during that special, that add up, and so far, the debinking article hasn't exactly blown up my skirt, especially given the lack of art history knowledge exhibited by the so-called "expert" (even if he is accredited, etc.)...he's still wrong on that....
I'd dig up some links showing art of the time if I felt it was neccessary, but I don't believe it is...simply do a search on Ahkenaton (her husband) / Art and see what you see...

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Heres a better link and article Gaz:
"Report affirms 'Nefertiti' mummy is male"
www.uk.sis.gov.eg...

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Dood.
that would suck.
you're all set to go to the afterlife,
you got mummified and your tally whacker fell off.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Gazork I wouldnt trust Hawass as far as I could through the Sphynx. This wouldnt be the only time he has talked BS. I think he got his degree from the back of a match book cover.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimcrispi
Gazork I wouldnt trust Hawass as far as I could through the Sphynx. This wouldnt be the only time he has talked BS. I think he got his degree from the back of a match book cover.

Zahi Hawass is famous for his attempts to debunk almost anything. More often than not you'll find him making these assertations against claims that may not have the most convincing evidence to support them. Fair enough, but you'll also find that he very rarely has good evidence to support his own debunking.

"That just isn't true."

"Well, why isn't it true?"

"Because to say so would fly in the face of what has been widely and traditionally accepted for centuries."

Can anyone say, Galileo?

Hawass told the New York Times that he could find no archaeological evidence to support a cataclysm the likes of which could cause the "plagues" described in the book of Exodus. What happened at Santorini around 1500 B.C.? I know the evidence is limited, and certain things have to be shifted on occassion, but this is how the truth is found!

Hawass just refuses to accept anything that might make Egypt look bad. I don't even really fault him for this, as it seems to be an Egyptian trait.

I like how Mohamed Abdel-Maqsou put it when describing Egypt's cataclysms. "A pharaoh drowned and a whole army was killed. This is a crisis for Egypt, and Egyptians do not document their crises."

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Could Nefi have been a tranny posing as a fem, perhaps?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Link wasn't found...

Regardless of what is being said, she made some pretty compelling comments... One thing is for sure, Nefertiti was not properly buried in the tomb prepared for her...

She got the kind of treatment that Royal Usurpers usually go. Her Son was probably very po'ed that She took the throne from Him!

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BigDaveJr

I think you are thinking of Hashteput - she was a few generations prior to Nefertiti.

top topics

join