Information For My Non-American Friends (ATS New Orleans Relief Effort?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
America was devistated by an incredibly powerful hurrican this week. Hurricane Katrina ripped through Mississippi and decimated the levies in New Orleans, essensially wiping the entire city off of the map. So many have been devistated by this disaster, and many others are losing their lives in the aftermath. We have chaos, absloute chaos. Gangs roam the streets at night, looters steal televisions and similar things with impunity.

Yet America is coming together. I myself am trying to get several friends, one of which owns a Lake Michigan worthy speed boat, to come down to New Orleans. Our plan is to hit the Mighty Mississippi just north of Lousiana and bring water to as many people as we can find. There's a hazard in this; people may mob the boat trying to get to safety, and we may be shot and killed so one selfish individual can get all the water to themselves. These risks do no concern me, though. These scumballs are the minority; the majority of people are just trying to survive.

I am not the only person making this effort. Millions across the country are coming together and putting funds and resources towards helping the victims. These people desperatly need our help, and America is, once again, stepping up to the need. We can be some selfish, self-centered ^%$#s, but when a need arises, the true character of the United States of America is seen. I, at least, will risk everything to bring as much as I can to these people who have lost everything. Looking at the news these days, it appears the risk is very real.

America is stepping up to the plate, and we're about to hit a homer. (Dang, just got tears in my eyes writing that...)

Then I go online. I watch the news. I read the New York Times. People are using this terrible tragedy to make a political career for themselves! People are pointing the finger, people are upset with foriegn aid, people are upset with the responsiveness, people are upset with the lack of resources, and people are upset with gas prices. This is all understandable, but we're reacting to this in exactly the opposite manner we should be. We have finger pointing going on right now. It's Carter's fault the resources aren't there to fix the problem. It's Bush's fault Katrina developed. It's your fault, your fault, your fault.

So the F*** what? Now is not the time to be pointing fingers! We'll have plenty of time to be doing that after those people in need are relieved. Right now, we need to focus on what can be done to help these people, not whose fault it is they're not being helped. You see they're not being helped? GET OUT THERE AND DO SOMETHING! Don't sit from your easychair and give your opinion of how everyone is screwing up while doing nothing yourself to contribute.

These uncompassionate political hacks are not the majority here in the US, though. Every friend I've called has been disgusted with their actions, and many can't believe this is taking place while there is such a despirate need for help in the American South East. We have a crisis of epic proportions, and the New York Times is reporting on how terrible Bush's speach was, and the fallout, at least with my friends and family, is incredible. These people and media outlets politicizing this event are losing customers left and right because of that. Unfortunately, they're media icons in many cases, and sources my foriegn friends read to find out more about what's going on in the ol' USA.

Do not be fooled, this is not the opinion of the majority. You're see the same response from people here at ATS. Absloute disgust at the politicizing of this issue as it's taking place. They are the loud minority, we are the silent majority. I hope you don't think too harshly of America because of this absloute garbage coming out of our media. It is not where we stand, it is where media outlets think they will get more money through ratings.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I myself am trying to get several friends, one of which owns a Lake Michigan worthy speed boat, to come down to New Orleans. Our plan is to hit the Mighty Mississippi just north of Lousiana and bring water to as many people as we can find.

I'm with you, in Muskegon though.

you have a new u2u.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Woot! Got my first warn for this post! I dunno, didn't think I was politically baiting by complaining about political baiting, but that's fine. I'll wear this warn with honor.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You have voted junglejake for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Screw the Warning, great post

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If you look at the tab to the right, you will notice our ATSer here has been warned and applauded for the same thread.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

You have voted junglejake for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Screw the Warning, great post

I'm happy with it. I check people's warns to find out what's not acceptable here, and by having the warn under my name, I expect others will click it and see what has been posted here. The individual who warned me gave me greater honor than any amount of applause ever could. Anyone who clicks on that warn will be able to read this call to action/inaction.

I have to say, I have never felt better about a wound than I do with the one I recieved just a moment ago.

If anyone in the Chicago area is interested, the guy with the speed boat fell through, but I have a row boat. I just need a trailor. If you have it, we can leave tomorrow morning. We can also go to CostCo to get a ton of bottled water. If you'd like, you could help contribute to buying it (only if we hook up, I'm not taking money), but if not, I have enough saved up to be able to buy a rather large amount. Just U2U me if you're interested.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The warning is most likely because of some use of strong language, moderators have to act on that, even if they agree fully with the content of your post.

I agree that giving a helping hand is the first thing needed to be done.

But as you pointed out in your title, this thread seems to be pointed at people that aren't from the US. And we can't do anything physical or logistical for the people in NO.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I've been watching the news steadily over the past few days. I have family down there. One family member is coming to live with us here in Chicago as she tries to piece together her shattered life. From the news coverage, it really sounds like this has already become a political issue. My intent was to expose the regular Joe Blow's mentality to those who aren't actually here in the US to experience it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Amazing how divided were are about this.
A warn, and applause, for the same post.

You are so correct about the politicizing of this disaster.
It drives me nuts, to read the stuff people are posting.
I'm waiting for the "Katrina was racist" thread, to pop up at any moment.

About your post.
Be careful dude, be prepared for the best, and worst humanity has to offer.
Is there anything, that anyone here can do to help you?

one other thing...
Way above for you! (I rarely give those out, but gave out 2 today)

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Is there anything, that anyone here can do to help you?

Only if you're willing to come and live in "the country I come from is called the midwest". It sounds like I may be swinging up to Michigan, then headed down. If you're on route and would like to help, let me know. Anything from your participation to a case of bottled water would be appreciated. I do not want any money. Just goods the people there could use.

I also want to thank people for their support. This really looks like it's going to happen, now. A lot of my friends fell through when we stopped contemplating and decided to do something. I am going to be with my Bible Study group tonight, and will be asking them to help, as well.

This is no different from 9-11. There is a need, and people have to fill it. I encourage anyone who is able to head in that direction, if access to the city is possible, and help as many as you can. If we can't get access to New Orleans, Mississippi is in desperate need, too.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Everyone wants to be a hero so says fox news and cnn... Apparantly the best thing you can do is donate money. If you go down there most likely you the national gaurd or whoever else is down there policing the waters won't let you just hand out bottled water in a row boat..

I would leave this up to the red cross and other volunteer organizations.

The other thing i'd like to point out is that you aren't trained in disaster response...

Red Cross has a free programs in this if your interested. It sounds like you want to do an honorable thing, as do many, I'm just not so sure the 'gaurds' holding thier ak47's will allow you to stroll the flooded streets in a boat handing out water.

for instance I was in the car yesterday listening to the radio and they reported one man fighting a gaurd for his rifile, the gaurd says he was a good man, just scared.

And this is very dangerous for you to go down there and involve yourself in without training. These people clearly aren't thinking straight, all their logic has gone out the window, they are psychologically stressed out, scared, hungry, and confused, so if you were to go down in there in a boat, they just may very well mug you.

Donate money, and leave it up to the people trained in disaster response.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I've done what I can from my castle on the rock. If I can, and I believe I can, I will leave this rock.

This has nothing to do with honor. It has to do with filling a need. This is not about me, this is about them.

It is dangerous down there. It is true I'm not trained in disaster relief, but I have been trained in other things of a military nature. Irregardless, my fellow Americans are putting their lives on the line both down there and abroad defending our nation. Many, like the local police, are not trained in these respects, either, yet they're out there.

If anyone wants to help us out, this is how you can, as true lies pointed out:

www.charity-charities.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When clicking on it, and reading the post, I could not figure out what was "warn" worthy?

As TL mentioned, if you're not there in the immediate area, don't go. I fully, fully understand the feelings from first hand experience to be physically engaged in something like this.

The bulk of the thread though, I disagree on, save for one single point.

This is no different from 9-11.

The likeness is what has people so furiously talking/typing, and the fact that it's the same cast of characters responsible. That people "do" with what they should ( their $$) does not get trumpeted nor should and is, in my case, taking a back seat to pointing out to everyone I can this groups actions/inactions....again, are at innocent Americans expense

You now what brought me to tears? Knowing what the men in the 209th are feeling, knowing that they're trained for this stuff back in their home base of Louisiana & they're in Iraq, not knowing what's happening to their famalies?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Even if we're turned away when we get there from our own relief effort, we will be able to contribute manpower and transportation to any of the worthy charities already on site. If I am turned away when I get there, I don't intend to leave in defeat. I will find some charity where I can lend these two arms and legs to aiding those in this disaster area.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Lots of drama jungle

But God Bless you for setting a sterling example of what a Christian should be. Good Luck!!! Our Prayers will be with you!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Lots of drama jungle

Always!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As I posted in another thread.. I'm not sure if they'll even let us in..

But I'm down for the adventure down there anyways..

U2U sent

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You're going to have to take into consideration:

-Cost of travel
-Cost of housing (unless you're ok with sleeping in a car)
-Cost of food
-Materials to bring, tools, saws, chainsaws, gas, ect

I myself don't have a ton of money to my name.. but I know alot of the relief organizations will pay for housing and some food.. I've researched this stuff extensivly over the past few days..

You're also going to have to setup a place for us to all meet.. I'm coming from Ohio

[edit on 9/2/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nothing worse than trying to help and then finding out you are in the way!

Been there, done that ... here take my shirt, jj.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I just want to thank all of y'all for the outpouring of support, through this thread or via U2U. I've whined and complained in the past about people complaining but not writing congressfolk and the like, but when the metal meets the meat, people have been there. This really is an awesome community.

QS, quite frankly, I lived out of my car for 3 months. Sleeping in it doesn't much bother me, and it's a heck of a lot better than others have it. I would prefer to spend what little resources I have on aid than an overbooked hotel room.

You did raise a good point about the chainsaws that I hadn't considered. There are trees all over the place blocking roads, and those may be useful. When I got your U2U and you mentioned the chainsaw, I got this image in my head of Ash standing there, chainsaw attached to his arm, saying, "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." However, looking at it now, that really does make sense.

Rock, rock on!

Man, if my family finds out about this, they're going to flip...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join