It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Super Typhoon Nabi Bearing Down on Island of Okinawa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in the US and the Typhoon Talim in the Asian Pacific, another very strong storm threatens the Japanese island of Okinawa enroute towards mainland Japan and also the Korean peninsula.
Let us hope and pray the storm weakens as the world tries to recover from it's recent brushes with mother nature.

external image IMG:weather.com

www.abc.net.au
A powerful typhoon churning towards Japan's Okinawa islands has strengthened to a category 5 storm, technically the same strength as Hurricane Katrina, which ravaged the US Gulf states.

An official at Japan's Meteorological Agency has warned Typhoon Nabi could reach Okinawa by Monday, and could also curve up to threaten Japan's southern-most main island of Kyushu.

He says by tomorrow morning, Nabi is expected to increase its wind speed enough to be dubbed violent - the strongest designation Japan uses for typhoons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

US military base Camp Foster in Okinawa is already preparing by moving aircraft to the northern Honshu Air Force base Misawa as the season's 14th storm closes in. The super typhoon rating equates to a cat-5 hurricane here in the west with sustained winds of 155 mph and gusts to 190mph.

Related News Links:
www.estripes.com
joongangdaily.joins.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Typhoon Talim Terrorises Taiwan

ED: SP and sat image

[edit on 9/2/05 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 5-9-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Lets hope that the Japanese authorities have an emergency plan. There what sensible nations have in case of a disaster.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
More stories and a projected path image to add.
Powerful typhoon nears Japanese island

Typhoon Nabi, which means butterfly in Korean, was on Friday morning 200km south-east of Okinotorishima island, which is 1 700km south of Tokyo.

Nabi was described by the meteorological agency as "extremely strong" and was packing winds of up to 180km/h and was moving northeast at 20km/h.

external image

Another Korean story on the incoming typhoon alerting the region to prepare for possible landfall later next week.
Supertyphoon Heads for Korea

The country is on alert after the Korean Meteorological Administration on Friday said the tropical storm, which first formed on Monday in the northwestern part of Guam, is now slowly making its way north on a course towards the waters of Okinawa, Japan, with effects of the storm being felt in Korea in the middle of next week.

[edit on 9/2/05 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Dude, resize the pic, please, it will screw up the ATSNN.com layout.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
an other one??? haarpish

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Overnight here in the west the storm weakened to cat 4 but is expected to regain supertyphoon status before hitting the island sometime Monday.

Typhoon Nabi weakens a bit, on course for Okinawa

Typhoon Nabi -- Korean for "butterfly" -- was on Friday a Category Five storm, technically the same strength as Hurricane Katrina which devastated New Orleans just before the eye of the storm made landfall.

According to the website of the Tropical Storm Risk group at University College London, www.tropicalstormrisk.com, Nabi had weakened to Category 4 on Saturday. But it was projected to strengthen to super-typhoon status again in 24 hours.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
What happened, this is the very first time I have seen that Korea is between Japan and China. Not very accurate. Or maybe it is slowly getting closer to North America. lol

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The Japanese provide an excellent model for disaster mitigation. They've been in the business probably longer than anyone else, and they take it very seriously. They routinely weather strong earthquakes and massive typhoons with ZERO loss of life, and the occasional, unavoidable death.

It's a wonderful system they've got in Japan, but it only works the way it does for one reason - cooperation. From a young age, Japanese children are raised to see the value in their society, the value in cooperation, and the value in sacrifice.

It's a very different culture, to say the least.

They'll weather this storm well, I think, seeing as they have a lot of practice at it. They also have the best funded disaster response team in the world, if I'm not mistaken. Best of luck regardless, but when you're well prepared and have competent officials, luck isn't nearly so much of a factor.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
What happened, this is the very first time I have seen that Korea is between Japan and China. Not very accurate. Or maybe it is slowly getting closer to North America. lol

Here's a link to a good map of the area so you know the geography of the fareast... ASIA.. if you point your mouse at the bottom right of the image you can expand to full size...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Update On Nabi

TORRENTIAL rains have lashed Tokyo, killing one person, as a powerful typhoon headed towards Japan's southern mainland.
Homes have been flooded and power cut off to thousands, as rain and strong winds disrupt transport and oil refineries.
A 61-year-old man was found dead late Sunday on a flooded road outside Tokyo after he rushed to help his son whose car was stuck, police said.
Over 100mm of rain was dumped on the Japanese capital overnight, disrupting train services, flooding nearly 2000 homes and leaving 7000 households without electricity, police said.
The heavy rain was caused by powerful Typhoon Nabi, which was slowly moving north towards Japan's heavily populated main islands.
www.news.com.au...

It seems to have broken down slightly and is not as strong as first thought.

www.eng.jcu.edu.au...
latest image

[edit on 5-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Joint Typhoon Warning Center Products
www.npmoc.navy.mil...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Does not look good for Japan. Hopefully they can have a plan for the worse. And I hope they have a plan to immediatly respond to those southern areas so we dont have another New Orleans situation.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Man, I sure hope that this storm eases up a bit. I was here when Typhoon Tokage (#18 here in Japan) roared through last year and remember sitting at home just hoping that the friggin' roof didn't fly off. Thankfully, the only damage was on my outside shed where a bit of the sheet metal roof peeled off and a bit of a shattered glass door. I sure as hell don't wanna have to go through anything like that again...

As an American though, I can't tell you how much my heart goes out to all the folks in New Orleans and throughout the entire Gulf Region. It's been difficult, to say the least, trying to explain how & why such a tradgedy could happen in America. Most of the time, I have no answer...other than as an American, it's just embarrassing and that people will hopefully try to rebuild.

In anycase, and to keep this on topic, I hope anybody else on here living in Japan or Korea weathers this thing well. Ki wo tsukette, kegashinai youni #e kudasai.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
That is a nasty looking storm...Is it just me or does Typhoon sound so much more destructive and meaner than Hurricane. I say we call eveything a typhoon

Does not look good for Japan. Hopefully they can have a plan for the worse. And I hope they have a plan to immediatly respond to those southern areas so we dont have another New Orleans situation.

I am sure they saw our mess and they will be better equipped. I least they better be. Are the under sea level? That will be a big factor.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
A category 5 typhoon could potentially destroy Japan. I cant find a decent topographic map that has any accuracy. Hopefully they are on top of it and have good intel on the storm so they can predetermine what areas might get hit and how bad.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by YaYo]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Typhoon Nabi is battering the Japanese Islands and as seen in the image below most of Japan is seeing some of the effects of this typhoon, Korea is on alert as well as parts of China and Russia as this storm moves through the area.

Typhoon Nabi batters southwest Japan

TOKYO (Reuters) - A typhoon lashed southwestern Japan on Monday, creating nine-metre high waves, cutting power supplies and disrupting transport and work at oil refineries.

Weather officials in South Korea also warned of flooding, while eastern China braced for possible effects from Typhoon Nabi after another storm last week killed at least 84 people in the east of the country, newspapers said.

external image IMG:Weather.com

Typhoon Nabi approaching southern Japan

Heavy rains pounded Tokyo and its surrounding areas late Sunday, flooding thousands of homes and leaving at least one person dead.

A 61-year-old man drowned in Saitama prefecture (state), just west of Tokyo, while walking in a flooded street, police said.

Up to 23 centimetres of rain was recorded in parts of Tokyo overnight, the Meteorological Agency said.

About 2,850 households in Tokyo, Saitama and Kanagawa were flooded, according to Kyodo News agency.

Typhoon Nabi Approaching Russia

Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. The island of Sakhalin and Kuril archipelago have declared an emergency situation as typhoon Nabi, is approaching, RIA Novosti reported. The typhoon is expected to reach the area on September 8-9.

Southern and Eastern Regions on Lookout for Typhoon Nabi

Typhoon Nabi, the 14th typhoon of the year, will approach the Korean Peninsula on Tuesday or Wednesday. Accompanied by strong rains and wind, Nabi is expected to visit upon the Gyeongsang provinces and coastal Gangwon province 20-meter-a-second winds and more than 100mm of rain, demanding special care be taken to prevent losses to agricultural products and facilities

Typhoon Nabi To Affect East China

Wang Bangzhong, deputy director of China Meteorological Administration (CMA)'s weather forecast and disaster relief department, was quoted as saying in a press conference that, affected by Nabi, the coastal areas in east and northeast China will see stormy weather from Sept 5 to 7.

external image
IMG:USNAVY
link to full size image of track Typhoon Path
ED:add track img

[edit on 9/5/05 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The slow moving storm is battering Japan with heavy rains, 47,000 ordered to evacuate as the storm moves slowly north, power outages reported and oil shipments halted at three of Japan's refineries. Airlines also cancelled flights and Russia is preparing for Nabi in Sakhalin & Kurils .

Typhoon Nabi Makes Landfall in Kyushu; 47,000 Homes Evacuated

Sept. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Authorities in Japan ordered the evacuation of as many as 47,000 households as Typhoon Nabi made landfall and battered the southern island of Kyushu today with rain and winds of about 144 kilometers per hour.

Two dead or missing as typhoon pounds

Two dead or missing as typhoon pounds
From: Agence France-Presse From correspondents in Kagoshima, Japan
September 06, 2005

A POWERFUL typhoon pounded Japan today, leaving one person dead and another missing, and prompting officials to order thousands to evacuate their homes for fear of landslides and storm damage.

At least nine people were injured on Japan's southern main island of Kyushu and the island chain of Okinawa, police said.

Sakhalin, Kurils bracing up for powerful Typhoon Nabi

YUZHNO-SAKHALINSK, September 6 (Itar-Tass) - Russia's Sakhalin and Kuril islands are bracing up to meet Typhoon Nabi which is packing winds of up to 160 kilometers per hour.

The typhoon may hit Russia’s Pacific coast in two days, the Sakhalin department of the Emergency Situations Ministry warned on Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Let's hope the Typhon does not cause any loss of life in Japan or any area it hits. Good luck to all those members living in that area.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Yowza...well, it's almost here in Hokkaido. Should make land here in just a few hours. Thankfully, it looks like it's weakened considerably and won't be nearly as bad as Tokage was last year. Although were I am (near Asahikawa) is supposed to get up to 200 mm of rain and there might be some slight flooding, the wind shouldn't get up past about 20m/s (about 25mph or so).

Only wish I could get the day off tomorrow like the school kids!

top topics

join