It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circles On The Surface Of Mars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I was just checking out a Mars Rover story on the BBC news website and I saw this picture.

The piece at the bottom of the page which talks about this picture describes a feature on Mars called "Lemon Rind".

Opportunity has spent several Martian days, or sols, analysing a feature called "lemon rind", a thin surface layer covering portions of rock poking through the soil north of an impact crater called Erebus.

In images from the panoramic camera, lemon rind appears slightly different in colour from surrounding rocks. It also appears to be slightly more resistant to wind erosion than the outcrop's interior.

But what strikes me is the two circles exactly the same size. Does anyone know what this is ? Is it a feature left by the Rover itself ?

Or is it natural ?

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 2-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
i beleive these are holes from the drill that rover uses when taking rock samples

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
OK, I thought that was one explanation or that the had jacked legs to hold them in place.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
yeah, the Rovers have a Rock Abrasion Tool, basically a grinder to help analyze the rock structure.

Rock Abrasion Tool (RAT)

On the front of the rover there is an arm, that has a few different components, and one of the is the grinder.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
those are holes drilled by the our invader. I dont see anything here.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
those are holes drilled by the our invader. I dont see anything here.

Invader?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
sarcastic remark, just kidding around, drilled by our lander.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
sarcastic remark, just kidding around, drilled by our lander.

ah you never know on here

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
LOL, ya its true. What is really cool are those berry things that are on mars. I think those are intersting. To bad we cant find any fossils...uh oh..new forum topic coming.

new topics

top topics

join