It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO SMILING!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
No Smiling On Your Passport Photo!

The reason? - Biometrics.

A statement on the International Civil Aviation Organization website says biometrics will lead the way to a "worldwide, standardized system of identity confirmation". But some say the move is opening an expensive can of worms which could lead to a violation of privacy rights if the technology is introduced without public debate.

Truth is, it's probably already being used.

They're going to have a computer measure such things as the distance between my eyes on my pic and compare that info to an international list of persons deemed to be security threats ... and they can only do this if I'm not smiling?

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
so smile and you are safe

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Did you read the link? We're not allowed to after November 3!

[Edited on 3-9-2003 by MessedUpAnnie]

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'd show them this website while they were taking th picture.

people.cornell.edu...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
OK, that site was a little weird.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
LOL! I've seen that before.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hey Annie. I have a movie clip with those same penguins, but one sticks his foot out and trips the other. Strange, it looks like the same clip, other than that little difference. And of course it's not a gif.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I think I've seen that one too!

I don't remember where I got this from, I'm sure it must have been some email a friend sent.

Maybe penguins like to play practical jokes on each other?

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I was OK on the insanity test until I turned the volume on. I think I will continue to get passports from countries that actually allow me to smile.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Fury, that website always had me laughing.

MessedupAnnie, it may 'sound' dumb, but the fact is, if you keep a neutral expression in your face (while taking the pic), with that pic and computer applications, they can work on making up pic of what you may look like, with changes, or a couple of years older, etc...

While if you smile or just wear a 'deformed' face, this is way harder for them, and won't turn pics that are as much exact from what the reality may be.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

MessedupAnnie, it may 'sound' dumb, but the fact is, if you keep a neutral expression in your face (while taking the pic), with that pic and computer applications, they can work on making up pic of what you may look like, with changes, or a couple of years older, etc...

While if you smile or just wear a 'deformed' face, this is way harder for them, and won't turn pics that are as much exact from what the reality may be.

Thank you for explaining that, makes some sense at least now.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You're welcome.

Won't really be hard for me, as I never smile on picture.
(unless photographied without my knowledge)

I always gaved a hard time at the primary school photographer when I was young.

top topics

join