It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reach - a profound song on the BTS PODcast feed ####

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Great song TrueAmerican. You definitely got some talent there.

I've been watching the news all day about the aftermath.

What i've seen is truly saddening. That pic above has just really hit me, coupled with the song. People can call me a wuss if they need but I have to say i'm pretty close to tears over this.

Keep up the good work.

p.s: How can I spread the song around?

[edit on 2/9/2005 by redize]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Dude,

As a fellow musician I know you will appreciate the fact that your song made the hairs on my arms stand up as I listened to it -- the surest sign I have that what I'm hearing is excellent work. It makes you feel, and that is what real talent does. The guitar riff is very cool, it was very well mixed and produced, not to mention the powerful lyrics. They really hit home regardless; their meaning is simply augmented by the events that are taking place in New Orleans. I commend you for a job well done. Remember, you can't please all the people all the time, but your song really struck a chord in me, for what it's worth. It will be a regular addition to my playlist.

Hope to hear more from you.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by redize
p.s: How can I spread the song around?

Email the link (and this thread if you like) to your local radio stations. I've sent out about 20 emails myself.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The Axeman, thanks much. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the hairs standing up on your arm. It happens rarely, but for some reason that version of Reach always did that to me, too. Interestingly, I did not get that same "hair raising" feeling from a later version that he did of the same song, with different musicians. That's where the critical ear of a producer can affect drastically the effectiveness of a tune. I am trying to find the other version now. I think I have it somewhere in this mess. I dunno, maybe it's just cause I have a vested, "hands on" interest in this version. Who knows, you guys might hear the other version and like it more. Also, in response to those that have wanted more, I uploaded another tune that he and I did together called "Your Love Is Real." Look for it in the BTS podcasts section.

SkepticOverlord, if I could offer you a job as our publicist, I most certainly would.
You emailed 20 radio stations?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Awesome TA!

Two Questions

1. would you mind if I used this for a background song for a slidshow that will be on my school tv broadcast? Planning a slidshow top put on the tv thing that is for one of our fundraisers...maybe one about Haiti if we do that again this year.

and 2. Could you U2U me the lyrics so I can choose which part to put on the slideshow

and 3. If I can do number 1 could you also tell me what credit to put down for it? Sank yous

Aren't my math skills great

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Reikuro,
Thanks, glad you liked it!
1) I think I could speak for my friend in saying that he and me both would be happy for you to use the song for that purpose.
2) U2U on the way with the lyrics, also posted below
3) As to the credits, that is going to be a touchier subject. Mostly because if I give the credits, identities will be compromised and divulged, and I'm not sure I want to go that far with this yet. I suppose in time if something big were to happen with the song, that would be unavoidable, and you will all know. For now I suppose just list the credits as "two concerned Americans."

But hey, guess what- something big has already happened:
It's on AboveTopSecret.com! And exclusively, I might add- that's right, there is no other place on this planet you can get that version of that song. At least, for the time being.

Lyrics to "Reach"

Reach

You know you've been here before
Yes you remember the very day you swore
If you ever have this chance again
Things will go your way

Be careful what you wish for
You may find one day you don't want it anymore
If there's one guarantee we have in life
Everything will change

Everybody reach, down deep, tap into your strength
Inner love, inner child, let yourself smile
Take part and take notice, time to come alive
You are free to move, and this won't be the first time
You've tried

Pack everything you own and give it all away
To get yourself some more
Win or lose it'll be the death of you
Everything's OK....OK

Everybody reach, down deep, tap into your strength
Take part and take notice, time to come alive
Free to do exactly what you wanted to all along

When you choose to start a new personal adventure
Expectations have no patience, so drop them altogether
All you need is to believe in people
Brothers and sisters y'all
All helping each other, there can be no other way...
No way

Everybody reach, down deep,inside yourselves
Unchain your emotions
With this release your soul will be clean

So reach, down deep, tap into your strength
Take heart, take notice, time to come alive
You are free to move, oh

Reach down deep inside, you must reach deep down inside
You will find it there, you will find it there
You are free to move, you will find it there
Come on now reach, down deep, down deep
Reach down deep, down deep
Reach down deep, down deep
Reach down deep inside

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
A Reach But Not A Stretch

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well, I guess pulling that tune out was a good idea after all. I struggled with that decision, only because it was written and recorded many years ago, a time when we didn't have a whole lot to work with. And so the quality is not that great, but not bad, considering.

All relative, of course. It sounds excellent to me.

And while you may see it as not that great, I see it as a higher standard for me to shoot for as I continue to kick out single-session wonders.

Great song, great timing, and remember that there are no coincidences.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Great song

Truly a ''hair raising'' experience......loved the song!

Ill pass it around....

IX
helen

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Aight will put that down for credit

Thanks a bunch mate!

-runs off to work on project-

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
1) Majic, thanks, glad you liked it. FYI, I just "reached" and got a sample of some developmental stuff. If I "stretched" a little further, I might find a tune I actually spent some time on. Of course then it wouldn't qualify for the single session series, and the high standards you set with yours.
Lemme know when you want to start whipping out the finished stuff.
And that's so true about coincidences, good call.

2) helen670, thanks! lol on the hair raising, that is something that really does happen to musicians sometimes. News to me if you are not a musician and it happens to you. And if it does, then maybe you should be a musician, or you really are one and just don't know it yet.

3) Reikuro, good luck on your project man. Let me know how it turned out!

Oh, one last thing: The direct link to another song he and I did called "Your Love Is Real" is:
www.podtrac.com...
For some reason the mp3 uploaded, and I filled out a description, but nothing showed up on the page. It's there though. Also, there is more from that team, but at some point here I gotta put on the brakes!

[edit on 3-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hi True American/
Im not any sort of musician....real bad voice.....But you indeed do have talent!

Actually 'Credit' on that ''Hair raising'' experience is what I read from your post to Axeman and used it ,sorry......(or could be that it's an 80's term?)

Anyway, best of luck to ....

"two concerned Americans."

helen

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Something To Hold On To

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
1) Majic, thanks, glad you liked it. FYI, I just "reached" and got a sample of some developmental stuff. If I "stretched" a little further, I might find a tune I actually spent some time on. Of course then it wouldn't qualify for the single session series, and the high standards you set with yours.
Lemme know when you want to start whipping out the finished stuff.
And that's so true about coincidences, good call.

For over twenty years, I hadn't been able to write any songs I thought didn't totally suck. Just couldn't do it for some reason.

Then, earlier this year, I got over myself, stopped worrying and started writing “gag songs”. While they are hardly world-shaking edifices of art embodied, at least I can finally write something. Sure, they all suck in some way or another, but at least I can live with that now.

And hey, at least they suck in a way that is unique to me.

I'm also a serious noobster with regards to my software and digital recording in general. Just two days ago I finally got a collection of decent guitar samples to replace my admittedly thin VSC/TTS-1 synth'd guitars. So I'm slowly improving my admittedly minimal production values.

But for now, it's all about getting the song recorded before I forget how it goes. Well that and not being such a primadonna and just kicking songs out the door even if I know I could do a better job with just a few more hours of tweaking...

My attitude now is: once I learn how to be a composer, I can go back and learn how to be a musician again.

Still working on that.

The Artist's Curse

Oh, and just a comment on something. In a way it's frustrating to see you dis your own work. Despite your gripes, the recording of Reach you submitted really does kick ass. It has feeling and does indeed reach out and touch people, which is what music is supposed to do.

Seeing an artist grumble about work of that quality can be maddening. But then, I do it too, and my favorite artists are always never satisfied with their work.

No doubt Michelangelo used to look up at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel after he finished it and said, “Damn, I really should have fixed that spot!”

It's always something.

I've come to realize that it is the curse of every artist to never be satisfied with our work. It's because we must focus on technique, execution, details -- the down-to-earth, pragmatic business of taking something we envision in our minds and duplicating it in the world.

And it's never identical to our vision. Such is the curse, and the hardest part of doing any of this is simply and finally saying that a work is “done”.

Ironically, some of the best work an artist will produce is work thought to be “flawed”, because it reveals the human side of the artist.

Or as I like to say, “Artists spend the first half of their careers removing imperfections from their work and the last half putting them back in.”

That's my opinion, anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
All good stuff there, Majic, I appreciate your thoughts on what you are trying to do, and how you are going about doing it.

Originally posted by Majic
Oh, and just a comment on something. In a way it's frustrating to see you dis your own work. Despite your gripes, the recording of Reach you submitted really does kick ass. It has feeling and does indeed reach out and touch people, which is what music is supposed to do.

Thanks for the compliments on the recording, although technically it is still not up to par. It's done with electronic drums, and sounds that just sound too digital to me. The rest of the instruments were real though.

But one of the points I suppose I am trying to make to you Majic, is that the tough part really does come in the producing of a song. Not in the raw material or in the recording. Raw material is easy for many, including me. I get many people that bring me raw material, some good, some not-so-good. But to take that and and refine it and tweak it to where the supporting arrangement really embellishes the melody and brings out that "feeling" is where the true hard part lies, and where the work really shows IMO. It is where the "majic" really happens. And of course other stuff like real instruments, arrangement, and the player's capabilities affect the output as well.

That new song you wrote "NO surrendered" as an example. Great raw song, with very good lyrics, IMO. Hits the mark. The melody, in its raw form, works too. But the deal is until you refine it and produce it, it becomes much harder for your average person to "stretch" their mind and envision a final piece. Most people are just going to take it at face value, and leave it at that. At face value, it is good. Produced, it could be wonderful.

...And it's never identical to our vision. Such is the curse, and the hardest part of doing any of this is simply and finally saying that a work is “done”.

Boy, do I ever hear ya on THAT one. But I will say this: To me they're done when the music and production is as good as the song. And that's why I was so tentative with even posting Reach here. That song is better than the production I was able to achieve, at the time, with what I had to work with- IMO. In any case, I would love to hear you take Wings of Gray or the new one to the next step. I think you would love it too.

Cheers,
TA

[edit on 3-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The Devil And The Deep Blue Details

Man you are so right!

I didn't appreciate just how difficult the Fine Art of Mixing really is until I discovered how much I suck at it.

Once my "wow, I can write songs, finally!" hubris wears off, I am certain I will want to go back and take the best of the litter and refine them into work that sounds more professional.

In addition to Wings of Gray, I'm already laying the groundwork for two other concept albums: Information Warfare (working title), which will feature songs like Between the Lines and other songs focusing on mind control; and Shadows of the Stars, which will be a mellow, romance-and-philosophy-oriented album.

Of course, both will feature my inescapable predilection for "pop style". I used to look down my nose at pop music, so my ironic punishment is being doomed to only be able to write pop music. And fair warning to all my fellow musical snobs out there: I'm just getting started.

Thanks for an excellent exchange of insights and perspectives, and remember that like a lot of other people, I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more from you.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well, im not at home now and the headphones i have wont work at the netcafe im at.......but the lyrics are AWESOME

Good job

I cant wait to hear the words

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
TrueAmerican,

I seem to sense a bit of influence from America, both lyricly and vocally.

Moreso in the second song link you posted.

Maybe it's just me, but they're one of my [earliest] favorite bands.

Simplicity at it's best without alot of electronic enhancements and such. Seems to come from the heart and soul rather than just putting together a quirky lil' beat with some nonsensical words.

Both songs are actually very good. Excellent in my mind, again both lyricly and vocally. Then again I have always leaned more towards music/songs that "make you think" as opposed to "bang your head". Though the "bang your head" types have their place and time as well.

I will gladly mirror both of these songs, and any others you wish to make publicly available.

I've set up a page where others can add additional mirrors to help make them more globally accessible. Just say the word and I'll turn it on.

Very basic and currently fed from a flat-file database. Graphic enhancement awaiting your approval and input.

Thanx!

[edit to fix spelling]

[edit on 5-9-2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
TrueAmerican,

I seem to sense a bit of influence from America, both lyricly and vocally.

Moreso in the second song link you posted.

Maybe it's just me, but they're one of my [earliest] favorite bands.

Simplicity at it's best without alot of electronic enhancements and such. Seems to come from the heart and soul rather than just putting together a quirky lil' beat with some nonsensical words.

Both songs are actually very good. Excellent in my mind, again both lyricly and vocally. Then again I have always leaned more towards music/songs that "make you think" as opposed to "bang your head". Though the "bang your head" types have their place and time as well.

I will gladly mirror both of these songs, and any others you wish to make publicly available.

I've set up a page where others can add additional mirrors to help make them more globally accessible. Just say the word and I'll turn it on.

Very basic and currently fed from a flat-file database. Graphic enhancement awaiting your approval and input.

Thanx!

Dayum 12m8, I am just now seeing this message, lol. I suppose I am a bit late? I wasn't quite around ATS as much back in those days, and sorry I missed this and some other comments on this thread. Thanks to all again who liked the song and replied.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Friggin' awesome tune TA..

I'm going to suggest that we get it played on the After Midnight Show..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join