It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one that noticed all the fat people?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And I think several people have tried to point out to you that their diets are full of high calorie, high fat content, high starch content foods because they are POOR. POTATOES ARE CHEAP! RICE IS CHEAP! Peanut butter and cheese come as commodities.

I don't know what you expected all of us uncaring ungiving #s on our lazy fat asses would say when you blathered this:

Your fat ass is taking up the space on helicopters and buses that would normally fit TWO people, you make it extremely difficult for medical staff to help you (or carry you) -- you are endangering the lives of your family, friends and fellow citizens because you are obese.

...but I guess you know now!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
Trust me, if I can live off water for a week (and I have in the past) your fat ass can live off water for a month... you aren't going to die from starvation in 14 days or less if you've somehow managed to store up 1/2 your weight in fat.

not strictly true I'm afraid if you are have end stage renal failure (remember that obesity puts you at high risk of diabeties which is the biggest cause of renal failure) if you dont eat your body starts to break down the muscles in your body which releases potassium. Potassium is extremely dangerous for renal patients as it can cause a fatal heart attack! This would be made worse by the obvious problem that they wont have access to dialysis so the excess potassium would not be removed. They would be weakened anyway because of their condition and not having dialysed that it is likely they could die even if they have food and water!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
You are taking the overall quantity per country and comparing it to personal usage. That does not work. Not to mention, you are comparing the usage of Europe in whole, to that of America. Break it to country per country and you will have quite different results - that being, the larger countries having usage more comperable to America. How many industries are in Africa? How many industries are in Europe that use massive amounts of water for their processes to produce commercial goods that end up in YOUR STORES, your cars, your homes? You are, effectively, bitchin' about something YOU BUY! Take the industry water usage out of the numbers, and you have a number that you can not bitch about, after all, these people that are in need of water, do not use the quantity of water that a chemicle plant does. Don't bend numbers to suite your desired outcome.

I'm not bending anything, and it was ONE European country compared to the US, not Europe. Belgium if you really want to know.
And if you think America somehow has an exceptionally large industry compared to other countries then you're wrong. Besides it was domestic usage.

Originally posted by Misfit
Let them starve? That has GOT to be the most blatant vocalization of of disgust for another human I have ever heard. What if a cotrastophe of this stature happened to YOU? Should we let you and your family starve, as you put it, because of your entire countries overall usage of goods?

Oh I'm sorry to interrupt your tea-party, but it's exactly what's happening ALL over the world by governments like yours and without a doubt somewhere in history mine too. Just because your media is able to dramatize the whole thing doesn't mean we should care more. Because your government WILL let people starve, only when the disaster is big enough so they're practically forced into helping will they take action.
Don't act surprised if someone says what your leaders think.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
Because your government WILL let people starve, only when the disaster is big enough so they're practically forced into helping will they take action.
Don't act surprised if someone says what your leaders think.

No matter the actions or lack thereof by the gov, they did not profess "let them starve for a while" ................... you did. You were not talking about the governent actions in your first post, you were talking about water usage, you were talking about letting people starve to "learn a lesson". Bringing politics to the thread will not digress from your sentiments of people unlike yourself.

Don't act suprised whern someone says what they think of you as well.

Misfit

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have just been browsing through some of the comments made in the last four pages.
I find it hard to comprehend that this thread has been made about fat people being caught up in the disaster. Just what exactly, have fat people have got to do with being subjected to a disaster on this scale? Are there not "fat" people in every walk of life? Of course there is. So what bloody differance does it make?

Does it make a blind bit of difference what size a person is when he or she has lost loved ones and all their Worldly possessions? I think not. If some of those people get the chance to browse this forum, then i would think they would be shocked at what some of the members have wrote.

These people need help, not ridicule about their size. Does human life not matter anymore just because you are over weight?. I have no problem with any person who is fat. They deserve the same respect as any other normal human being. Yes they are normal, but then again, what is "normal?".

Give these people a thought, they need our help as much as the next person. They do not need to be classed as some kind of 2nd rate person just because they take up two seats.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
There go I but for the grace of God.

I guess I should be happy I am white, have family, and don't live in NO.

I have worked hard and worked out all my life (martial arts) so I have a pretty high metabolism but recently, between having severe arthritis, neuroapthy, and three abdomen surgeries I have been bed and wheelchair bound most of the time. On the good days I can still walk with a cane.

Guess what?

I have gained 60 pounds, of which I have struggled to loose 40 of. I am glad I live here and am white so I wouldn't have some jerk saying "look at that fat lazy black guy they are having to load up into the plane, if he wasn't so fat he probably wouldn't need that wheelchair, either" along with crap like "the lazy fat N***** didnt have the sense to leave before the hurricane hit"

Not everyone is fat because of a diet of fried chicken and watermelon, some cant get around, some have thyroid issues, etc. And even if they don't who gives a crap? Does that make them any less deserving of being rescued? A crippled person without family is susposed to load his wheelchair with Oxygen bottles and drag them all to where?

[edit on 3-9-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Not everyone is fat because of a diet of fried chicken and watermelon, some cant get around, some have thyroid issues, etc. And even if they don't who gives a crap? Does that make them any less deserving of being rescued?

And here i find someone else who is also on the same wave length as myself.

Cheers Amuk

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I have gained 60 pounds, of which I have struggled to loose 40 of. I am glad I live here and am white so I wouldn't have some jerk saying "look at that fat lazy black guy they are having to load up into the plane, if he wasn't so fat he probably wouldn't need that wheelchair, either" along with crap like "the lazy fat N***** didnt have the sense to leave before the hurricane hit"

Not everyone is fat because of a diet of fried chicken and watermelon, some cant get around, some have thyroid issues, etc. And even if they don't who gives a crap? Does that make them any less deserving of being rescued? A crippled person without family is susposed to load his wheelchair with Oxygen bottles and drag them all to where?

Amuk this sort of racist bull# doesn't belong on this forum. If you can't discuss something without having to revert to typical american racial slurs and stupidity (you people in the US are the champions at it) then don't post at all. Know what? The rest of the world doesn't think differently about a black guy or a white guy. Your skin color doesn't mean # to anyone, its your actions in life as a member of society that matter.

If you're crippled then of course you deserve special treatment in a rescue operation (or at bare minimum the same treatment as anyone else). How you can twist an observation on the fact that way too many Americans are overweight into some rediculous racial argument is beyond me. But then, I'm not from the USA so I don't know what it's like to be raised to hate other people.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Amuk this sort of racist bull# doesn't belong on this forum. If you can't discuss something without having to revert to typical american racial slurs and stupidity (you people in the US are the champions at it) then don't post at all.

Is it all Americans are stupid or just the fat ones and me? I am not the one starting threads called "look at the fat people" am I?

Know what? The rest of the world doesn't think differently about a black guy or a white guy. Your skin color doesn't mean # to anyone, its your actions in life as a member of society that matter.

You mean like being stupid enough to be born in America and too crippled and poor to drive out of the Hurricane area? I guess in your country its OK to hate fat black americans as long as you dont post the black part?

But then, I'm not from the USA so I don't know what it's like to be raised to hate other people.

except the fat black american ones, right?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Amuk this sort of racist bull# doesn't belong on this forum. If you can't discuss something without having to revert to typical american racial slurs and stupidity (you people in the US are the champions at it) then don't post at all. Know what? The rest of the world doesn't think differently about a black guy or a white guy. Your skin color doesn't mean # to anyone, its your actions in life as a member of society that matter.

If you're crippled then of course you deserve special treatment in a rescue operation (or at bare minimum the same treatment as anyone else). How you can twist an observation on the fact that way too many Americans are overweight into some rediculous racial argument is beyond me. But then, I'm not from the USA so I don't know what it's like to be raised to hate other people.

Amuk was not being racist with his comment. He was being rhetorical with his quote. He also quoted what he has had to contend with. In no way was he being racist. You took that out of context.

The thread was started by you Catherder. You decided that there was a lot of fat people that you noticed. That was in all intents, a bait for discussion on the facts of fat people. Not the fact there are fat people waiting to be rescued.

You chose to start a thread titled "Am I the only one that noticed all the fat people?" Yes you were. You chose to look at the fat people instead of looking at the unfortunate way in how these people have to try and survive.
Can you argue with that, seeing as you chose the title?

Any backlash you get, is only confounded by the title of the thread you created.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
After seeing this thread, I watched more rescue footage on cnn and the vast majority of the people were normal sized, a few were maybe 20 lbs overweight. I really had to look hard to see this plethora of fat people who are threatening to hinder the rescue effort.

I think maybe people see what they're looking for. Perhaps you're a 'fatist'.

The thing is... taking notice of one group of people in a catastrophe and pointing them out as perhaps not quite so worthy of rescue as the other people is really taking your chances... there's gonna be backlash.

It's kind of like saying, "Did you notice how many kids there were? Why are these people breeding so much? It's their decision to have 6 kids, but they ought to have to pick 2 to rescue and leave the others behind. So many kids take up space that adults could be sitting in." Believe it or not, it sounds that ridiculous to some of us. A lot of us, apparently.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It's kind of like saying, "Did you notice how many kids there were? Why are these people breeding so much? It's their decision to have 6 kids, but they ought to have to pick 2 to rescue and leave the others behind. So many kids take up space that adults could be sitting in." Believe it or not, it sounds that ridiculous to some of us. A lot of us, apparently.

I really don't think how it strikes me could have been represented better. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
Any backlash you get, is only confounded by the title of the thread you created.

Yeah I suppose you are indeed correct there. I honestly didn't put any thought into if it would/could offend a bunch of people. I didn't overlook the disaster, or the suffering therein, and I don't lack compassion or a desire to help, but I suppose it's easy to misconstrue my original post intentions.

Apologies to everyone if it did offend you or hurt your feelings. I was just making an observation on the population since I know I can't offer much in the way of ideas on how to fix the current situation.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
You haven't been to Louisiana have you?

They have the best food in the world!

I'd be a chumba-wumba if I lived there.

I couldnt agree more. Being from that part of the country I KNOW the food is good.

As they say down der, the coon ass can cook unlike any oder!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Anyone ever watch the TV show Lost?

Guess who my favorite character is?

Hes got the biggest heart and hes definately loveable
images.google.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I couldnt agree more. Being from that part of the country I KNOW the food is good.

4000 refuges just came here and I hope a lot will stay for that reason

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I love Cajun Cooking

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
YOu want a laugh?

My mom (whom is ok by the way), tried to make gumbo once. I told her you need to actually use crab meat, not the whole damn crab!

(I still ate it - even though should couldnt cook to save her arse)

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thread starter here is maybe a Fatist, but he also mentioned he is professional rescue pilot so my opinion is attracted to him. He is right, when everything is OK, then nothing is wrong, but when the goings get tough, people who are overweight really make it more difficult, so try to control your weight, 20 or 30 pounds more is not a problem I guess, but if someone is really twice as average it already makes a health problem.

Of course they all should be rescued, what do you think?
But in these situations when seconds can be important between life and death, it is very sad that someone may actually die because of overweight.

btw, my brother who is working ih the hospital noticed that too when they have to move the patients to the operating room and back, it makes all dificult, most for the patient.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In all that suffering THAT is what you noticed?
How sad.

I am truly dumbfounded and appalled that you have a way above top secret badge Catherder.. I wonder how someone with your lack of depth in thought recieved such a honorable award.

*walks out of thread shaking her head in disgust*

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Catherder doesn't deserve wats because one thread title was a little harsh?
silly..

He made an observation, and shared it with us...And throughout the thread, even though people jumped on him..He remained calm..

I am using my last vote for this month..because he maintained a good attitude.

I still think there are some valid points in his post..

Space

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join