It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one that noticed all the fat people?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ah, right..

I forgot to mention fast food. Handy, when you don't have much money,
or proper facilities to cook..

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've just noticed skinny men and large women... This wouldn't have anything to do with the women working in the kitchens would it?

Everytime I'm in the midst of making a good meal I can't help but taste test.

Like Vall said, New Orlean's has wonderful dishes! From Creole to Cajun.. I've watched cooking shows where they make southern food and i'm blown away..

Their foods are so creative and the mixes these people come up with are amazing!

Definitely not general foods down there! Yum!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yes, Fast Food is to blame, how dare they force me to buy their food! Oh wait, they don't...... Blaming fast food for a fat ass is like, IDK, blaming a stove for making the food you eat at home. "Bad stove, bad stove!" Whack it with a newspaper. Why am I fat? IDK, bad metabolism? I work out, but still fat, and while I do have the height to go with it(6'5 330((approx)) and some muscle, but still got myself a gut.

Anyways, with your questions, leave em. Get as many people out first, then if time is there save the ones that to big to carry with everyone else. If you can save 4 people or 2 people, save the 4 then the 2.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
No, I don't blame fast food.....cheap, good, homemade food is probably the culprit! Remember Paul Prudhomme? One of the great NO chefs....Emeril, not exactly a skinny guy.....doubt he bothers with fast food.

The folks you are seeing are in the income bracket that serves lots of beans and rice....gravy and biscuits, fat back and peas....not to mention the classic NO treat, beignets ( french donuts, no hole, fried in deep fat and dusted with sugar). And not a lot of spare cash for a lux gym membership!

Plus overweight people are often diabetic....that means you have to eat or black out, maybe die. So yes, they could literally "starve to death" and still be overweight.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by frayed1]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Eating "good" food does NOT make you fat.

Eating crap food as your staple diet will make you fat.

This is all about the poverty trap.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Face it.... Louisiana residents are built for comfort not for speed.....

everyones metabolism is different and maybe they are just shaped like that. They deserve to have happy comfortable lives and should not have to worry about being picture perfect.

Has anyone got facts and figures about lifespans to produce to show these people die earlier or anything....

Recent studies showed that 20 percent of Americans are overweight so I do not see it as just a New Orleans issue.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
overweight people are responsible for 27 billion dollars in medical bills a yr.
take responsability for your own actions, eat right and exercise, you
will feel better I promise, and your family will feel better too. I feel
sorry for over weight people, please help yourself no one else can.
they will just take your money on diet pills, and buns of steel tapes,
consume less calories then you burn, find the best way to burn those
calories. please please try it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Todays diet is different from years and years ago.

For example, I cook Good food for my children every day. Children do need some fat for energy and to keep their brain developing.
Last night my children had roast pork and veges and home made fresh beef soup with beef veges and erbs. Good food.. the soup was drained of fat and veges were dry roasted without oil. Thats pretty standard for around here. I bake a lot and for lunch they get healthy sandwiches with low fat mayo instead of butter on wholegrain or wholemeal bread. Along with that they get healthy snacks like low fat museli bars and fruits. I do bake cakes and fresh cookies as treats for after school, they like to come home and find a date loaf or vanilla cake in the pantry.

I can't afford to go out and buy expensive health foods, they get as much of a balanced diet as I can afford, I can't afford lean meats but the majority of the minced meat I buy is kangaroo, which is 99 percent fat free.
I try not to buy pocessed fods and don't buy pre cooked or frozen foods. My kids do not have mac donalds or fast foods excpet on a very rare occasion.

Reason why is with six kids and a super tight poor mans budget I can't afford to. My groceries come to 400 a week and i still run low. Not unlike many poor families there in New Orleans. Big Families, No money but plenty of home cooking and love to go around.

The point of all this you say?

Here above is my six children.. I have an obese child who weighs 8 kilos more than me. She doesn't eat anything different from her scrawny brothers.

People are all built different. i do understand the health side of it but the people who are saying a simple balanced diet will be the cure for all fatness are wrong.. some people no matter how much dieting it wont budge.

I had Kiralea on a no fat steamed foods diet with low carbs and she still piled on kilos.

its not as easy as Jenny Craig for some ..Its metabolism based. if you burn fat you will be little and skinny like me, 5 foot and 48 kilos..... if you dont burn fat you will have a nice warm round figure....

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
diets don't work, you will just end up gainning it back and more, do you
know why? your habbit reflect you weight, the only thing that works is
behavioral modification. I get up in the morning at the same time, shave,
brush my theeth, make coffee, watch the news, go to work same
street, get there the same time everyday. now if we change just one
behavior at a time we will see the results. Tomorrow I will do the same
thing with just one modification. I will eat a healthy breakfast, thats all.
the rest of the day I will do the same thing, now if I do this for a mo. or
maybe longer it will become a habbit. do every thing the same just change
that one thing. It will become a habbit. after that change one more thing
and make it a habbit. your habbits will reflex your weight. how long it takes
will depend on you. remember it took you years to gain that weight or to
fixate on those habbits that you now own. add some light excesises like
walking, and you are on your way to lossing that weight and not gainning
it back. I wish you the best.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
what a shallow world we live in, that we can see beyond human suffering to notice that some of the suffering are overweight.

tsk..tsk..tsk..

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynomor
overweight people are responsible for 27 billion dollars in medical bills a yr.
take responsability for your own actions, eat right and exercise, you
will feel better I promise, and your family will feel better too. I feel
sorry for over weight people, please help yourself no one else can.
they will just take your money on diet pills, and buns of steel tapes,
consume less calories then you burn, find the best way to burn those
calories. please please try it.

Please save your pity.

There are so many amongst us who simply cannot lose weight just by eating "right" and exercising. Even if we intake less calories than we burn, we've got to be careful - we still need energy; as many have mentioned, once you factor in poverty, the situation becomes dire.

It's not as easy as you're making it sound; believe me, if it was, I wouldn't be posting this response.

When it's cheaper to buy junk food, empty carbs and "fake" foods than it is to buy fresh foods it's hardly a surprise that so many are obese.

How about our society takes responsibility and makes it possible to buy healthier food more cheaply?

Not everyone is stuffing their faces with McD's four times a day....some of us obese people actually do have real bloody reasons for finding it nigh on impossible to lose weight, and even harder to do so safely.

Pass me a cookie. I would've bought a banana, but they're three times the price and I can't afford them.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"How about our society takes responsibility and makes it possible to buy healthier food more cheaply" don't depend, expect or demend, someone
else to be responsible for your actions.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynomor
"How about our society takes responsibility and makes it possible to buy healthier food more cheaply" don't depend, expect or demend, someone
else to be responsible for your actions.

Why should I not demand that our government makes it easier to eat healthily?! They do have something to do with tariffs, internal pricing and the like.

So...run that one by me again?

Or are you missing my point completely? That being:

For some people, losing weight is NOT quite as simple as "stop eating junk food".

Not least when current pricewars mean that real foods - the fruits, vegetables, lean meats (basically "perimeter shopping", which is by far the best way to eat) are easily more expensive than junk foods...for those on a budget, exactly how are they supposed to do this?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The heat and humidity alone are enough to discourage exercise. Many of these people are laborers. They work hard and build up heathy appetites. Most traditional southern food is designed to be filling. Most of it packs tons of calories. But the food is soooooooooo good!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have to apologize, for a number of reasons.

I read the opening paragraph of catherder's original post and then replied to SC's comment on the first page. Later I got a u2u from catherder asking for clarification as to whether I was agreeing with the "asshole" statement. I responded that though I thought your post was in poor taste, that was not the portion I was agreeing with, but SC's sentiments that people should be allowed the freedom to live as they choose. If they love food, get after it.

I must now apologize for three things:

1. I apologize that I hadn't read catherder's entire post before commenting on this thread, which leads to me having to...
2. apologize that my first comment was as tame as it was and
3. me stating in a reply u2u that my comment wasn't backing SC's asshole comment.

although, now that I must correct my response to catherder's u2u, my response is still that my original comments weren't backing the comment he was an asshole, because in light of the last paragraph of his original post asshole most definitely would not be the moniker I would choose.

I believe heartless dickhead would be what I would choose.

I hope I have rectified all my wrongs connected with this thread.

Kind regards.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Indeed catherder, "Fat America', the world looks on.

It occures to me the the global top dog of consumerism, (america) needs to take stock of reality. "throwaway society" is no longer acceptable. Why is it that it takes a disaster like new orleans to rock the lazy, careless boat of gluttonous consumerism.
Now folk are hungry, wheres that 96 billion pounds of food you guys threw on your streets last year?
no real equality in America, where folk starve in alleyways, while the rich dine in luxury, and so much ends up trash.
Most appauling to me is the practice (here too) of restaraunts etc, who thow out enormous amounts of food each day in dumpsters, while folk starve, only because it wasnt sold, or was slightly imperfect. Shame, Shame, shame.
How about some fine restraunts in the rest of the country donate to new orleans?

www.montgomerycountymd.gov.../content/dep/conservation/food.asp

Note: Pls do not misunderstand me, Im not concerned with how folk look, A person in need is a person in need regardless of size. I simply refer to the culture of gluttonous consumerism of the whole nation. Its continues to escalate yet in times of disaster like now, you hear people whining theres no food, makes me sick. Where is the national emergency aid storehouses
containing a percentage of the vast abundance for times of need like now?
where is all the food? go take a walk around your citys, all that abundance is overflowing from your dumpsters n street bins every day, every week, month, year.
Waste not, want not. Your nations food stores (supermarkets/grocery)
should be donating the thousands of tons of food they pulled off the shelf on friday to be replaced with more on monday, instead of filling dumpsters.
send that to new orleans!

[edit on 083030p://06098 by instar]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Here is in what this thread goes now:
Yes, where are the big companies in this, they produce so much food each day, so Why don't they send it to where is need, new orleans at first place.
They also have gigantic network of delivery, too!!!

But I agree with a firestarter here, it makes all of rescue a lot more dificult knowing how they make all of the equipment for the average weight.

So where is all that food now?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
If you check the glycemic index, you wiill see that the types of food they eat rates the highest. Lots of bad carbs there that are slow acting that the body can not turn into fuel, which increases blood sugar. Obeseity has nothing to do with genetics, so, the wrong foods and little to no exercise results in what we see in the clips.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
No, obescity is in genetics and i can give you a good example take two obese parents and their kids are fat so you argue that they have adopted their eating habits right? well take only one parent and given an average of three kids 1 in 3 are fat which means there is something in the genetics.

Regardless i saw alot of skinny people in new orleans too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join