It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one that noticed all the fat people?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I have an observation from watching many news clips (and a few specials) regarding the disaster in the US. I stress this is not at all a malicious post. It's something I felt compelled to mention and see what others felt about the observation (or if they noticed it as well).

Way too many Americans are obese. Not only is this a health problem for you in "normal" times (if you're obese) but right now it's a glaring issue in logistics. Your fat ass is taking up the space on helicopters and buses that would normally fit TWO people, you make it extremely difficult for medical staff to help you (or carry you) -- you are endangering the lives of your family, friends and fellow citizens because you are obese. And no, I do not mean "medically obese" people, there's no way in hell that in a population of 250 million people over 40% of them would be so overweight due to medical reasons to be considered medically obese. (unless fast food is a medical condition)

When I see somebody on TV that is 150lbs overweight crying about not having eaten in 3 days and are "dying of starvation right here in America while they have food in Bagdad" it makes me pause to wonder if people other than me see the irony (I can only imagine what somebody watching from Ethiopia or the Sudan would think). Trust me, if I can live off water for a week (and I have in the past) your fat ass can live off water for a month... you aren't going to die from starvation in 14 days or less if you've somehow managed to store up 1/2 your weight in fat.

But then again, maybe it's not a valid observation, maybe I'm just an asshole.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You haven't been to Louisiana have you?

They have the best food in the world!

I'd be a chumba-wumba if I lived there.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
i noticed that too just yesterday...rescuers must be having LOADS of problems with that.

isnt it ironic?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder

But then again, maybe it's not a valid observation, maybe I'm just an asshole.

Frankly I feel you hit on the head here. Leave people alone, if they are happy with thier life, who the f cares? LEAVE PEOPLE alone. I personaly think thier are to many rail thin people.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
SC

You always say things just right.

crawfish etoufe'e and dirty rice will put the pounds on...but there absolutely isn't anything more divine than a big heaping helping of it. Long live the good eaters.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
tHEY EAT GOOD FOOD. Nothing like their jumbalaya

What a strange observation. I couldnt get past the suffering of these people.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Yes, I've also noticed that. Sure we hit a golden age, and fast food is everywhere and just about irresitable at some times, but seriously, how many whoppers and big macs does it take to pop out to kids? At some times, its just sad and disgusting to the species to see so many people excessive in weight.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

AMEN...............my fiance is from new orleans. still has a home there but currently deployed to norfolk,va.

i have had MORE fantastic meals than i care to remember..........and some that i can't remember due to the additional intake of alcohol at the time

but that is the best food EVER.

if i lived there full time............i'd be 2 chumba wumbas!

angie

[edit on 2-9-2005 by amb1063]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My flatmate and I were talking about this last night. And it's only noticeable because there seem to be such a high percentage of people who fit this description. (In one of our characteristically acidic conversations we were wondering why so many people are lying about waiting for transport where they could up-sticks and get hiking up the road) Generally when we see refugees they are on the move and seeking refuge, not staying put and waiting for help to come to them.

In no way does this make light of their situation, or make them less deserving of immediate help, but it is a valid observation nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Your fat ass is taking up the space on helicopters and buses that would normally fit TWO people, you make it extremely difficult for medical staff to help you (or carry you) --

So then, leave them all behind I guess.

you are endangering the lives of your family, friends and fellow citizens

Preytell, how does that endager others?

When I see somebody on TV that is 150lbs overweight crying about not having eaten in 3 days and are "dying of starvation"

You are not adding in mental factors. Factors of desparation, and no insight of when food and water will arrive. When a human mind is used to eating every day, then there is none - a 'sense' of starving does take place. Other factors also happen within the mind when no food is available.

Trust me, if I can live off water for a week (and I have in the past) your fat ass can live off water for a month.

That is to say, everyones metabolism is just like yours. I just went thru a 7 week bout with starvation due to Lithium Intoxication, just under a slice of bread every couple days, and 90% of that came rigth back up. So, you should, by your own logic, not eat for 7 weeks because ....... If I can do that ........ so can YOU.

BTW - your use of "fat-asss" is quite derogatory

Misfit

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
To me, it has nothing to do with disgust, or anything along that line of thinking. I'm 10-15lbs overweight most of the time myself... (sitting here typing this doesn't help that issue much).

It's a matter of : I'm a helicopter rescue pilot, and I know that my craft can carry 1800lbs of 'human cargo' -- I come across two buildings with 10 people on top of them, one is a 350lb man; do I leave the fat guy and save the other 9, or does his life hold more value than the others? Do I have enough fuel to maintain a hover to lift 2 people at a time (4 times) and then lift him alone and one other alone? Will my SAR man be safe going down to hook this individual up, or will he have to remain in harms way on the roof while we winch only the man back up?

Or, I have a rescue boat that can normally carry about 8 pasengers (or around 1400 lbs). I come across 3 sets of 3 people (total of 9), two of them are 300lbs. Do I risk the lives of myself and my crewman and the other 7 people to overload my craft to carry these 2 people, or do I leave them behind and hope to come back later to get them? Or, do I leave 3 or 4 other people behind and take the two heavy people first?

My brother in law is a Paramedic. He's mentioned more than one time that the weight of far too many people these days hinders his job and reduces the chances of a successful rescue of a crash victim, a heart attack victim, an injury victim, etc. Because it takes the crew an extra amount of time just to load a heavy individual (nevermind if they have to be extracted from a vehicle), the time between arrival at the scene and arrival at the ER is increased considerably. I guess it's just a non-issue to a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'm a helicopter rescue pilot,

Than you are in the best position of your own scenario to answer the question I asked: do you leave them behind?

Misfit

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

I'm a helicopter rescue pilot,

Than you are in the best position of your own scenario to answer the question I asked: do you leave them behind?

Misfit

The example was rhetorical.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This has turned out into a "fat" thread?

I think this should be closed.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It's sad that some people want to turn this into a fat thread. I felt it was a pretty honest and accurate observation initially.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Your fat ass is taking up the space on helicopters and buses that would normally fit TWO people, you make it extremely difficult for medical staff to help you (or carry you) --

So then, leave them all behind I guess.

What a terribe thing to say.

you are endangering the lives of your family, friends and fellow citizens

Preytell, how does that endager others?

Simple. You take up extra space (their space_ in rescue craft, you endanger 2 or 3 others who have to help you move through debris and water, you delay rescue crews who could be moving on to other victims faster because they have to spend extra time with you... Your potential health problems could leave your family members without you to help them because you're dead from a coronary...

("You" is, of course, "anyman" and not "you" you... you know?)

When I see somebody on TV that is 150lbs overweight crying about not having eaten in 3 days and are "dying of starvation"

You are not adding in mental factors. Factors of desparation, and no insight of when food and water will arrive. When a human mind is used to eating every day, then there is none - a 'sense' of starving does take place. Other factors also happen within the mind when no food is available.

Yes, totally right.

Trust me, if I can live off water for a week (and I have in the past) your fat ass can live off water for a month.

That is to say, everyones metabolism is just like yours. I just went thru a 7 week bout with starvation due to Lithium Intoxication, just under a slice of bread every couple days, and 90% of that came rigth back up. So, you should, by your own logic, not eat for 7 weeks because ....... If I can do that ........ so can YOU.

Gosh, how much weight did you lose? I lost around 55 lbs over the course of 6-7 months when I was quite sick in the early 90's. (That left me as a walking 5'11 127lb skeleton at the time). The time I went without food for a week I lost around 6 pounds (it takes a couple days before your body starts to consume your fat stores -- providing you can stay hydrated).

BTW - your use of "fat-asss" is quite derogatory

Well what do you sit on? What do you sit on in a helicopter or boat or bus? I sit on my ass, perhaps you're Mork from Ork and you sit on your head?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
CatHerder, based on being in other threads as you, gaining an understanding of your level of comprehension, I am not going to justify any of your last comments with any from myself. You know what you meant by this thread start and subsequent replies. Just as much, you know full well what I meant.

Good Day,

Misfit

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Galatoires, Commanders Palace, Arnauds, and Brennans. Personally I think they should drop some special forces units in there to make sure that these fine eateries don't suffer further damage.

Joking of course but it's killing me that I will not be able to indulge myself for a long while.

Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
catherder,

MY wife and I were talking about it as well. Lots of overweight people.
I think it's a couple of things.
The old fashioned, "southern diet", Where animal fats are used as flavorings for nearly everything. (lard, bacon drippings).
In the winter, I make a "soul food" recipe that calls for the fat of a half pound of bacon, AND sausages..Not healthy at all, but comforting, and warm.

Coupled with, poverty. Seems counterintuitive to think that poor people would be fat. But think about it, The cheap hamburger is loaded, 27 percent fat. So are a lot of other low priced foods..

I think thats what we might be seeing there..

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I feel bad for the obese
Its not all their fault that they're so large. For some of them its just genetics and they can't control it. Stupid fast food, because of them we're living a complete unhealthy life

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join