It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kudos to Mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Was just watching CNN and got my dose of wisdom for the day, or perhaps for the week. The Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin was asked what he thought about the fact that while some people critisize the Bush administration for lack of action in the wake of the hurricane disaster, others defend the administration by asserting that it's the responsibility of the governors of the affected states to request federal help, and that they obviously didn't do that fast enough. Mayor Ray Nagin responded by saying: "Did the people of Iraq request the U.S. federal government to invade their country?" Kudos to the Mayor of New Orleans!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well good on him to say that, but unfortunately, ya he's prob gonna not get another job after that. But I bet he doesn't care anymore. I think he really cared for that city and anyway hes not getting much media coverage so he prob just doesn't give a F anymore.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpilledBeans
Well good on him to say that, but unfortunately, ya he's prob gonna not get another job after that. But I bet he doesn't care anymore. I think he really cared for that city and anyway hes not getting much media coverage so he prob just doesn't give a F anymore.

Why is it that he's goin to get sacked? Just because he expressed his opinion, and it happened to be unfavorable to the U.S. government? Has the situation in the U.S. as far as free speech deteriorated that much? I knew it was bad, but not that bad!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yes I agree he is the #, we all need a mayor like that.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I saw it too, been trying to find an audio link to it online, CNN doesn't have it yet.

It was from a WWL radio interview.

d1k

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Damn right, all I can say is wow. Just goes to show not all Politicians are there for personal gain.

First let me say this man is truly a great human being and leader and he is truly a New Orleans'ian. When the sh1t hit the fan he's in the trenches with his citizens.

Secondly not only is he down in the trenches trying to do the best job he can he's also talking to the media telling us how it is, not the typical bureaucratic garbage I've seen in every other interview. This was a loud and clear message and I'm very glad CNN put it on the air, I hope they broadcast the entire interview a couple times throughout the day as the federal government and frankly the world needs to hear it.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by d1k]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thats junk, there is a lack of leadership down there and he is the first person who should be responsible for leading. What is he doing? Passing the buck: "its the governer who whould be doing stuff, its the president." No, its New Orleans' problem and he is the only leader whose sole job is to lead NO. He can order the police to stop the looting, to commendeer vehicles to get those people out. He can get his ass out of his suit and into a truck and go pick up people himself. This situation is out of control because the three main leaders, the mayor the governor and the president are all passing the buck. Don't praise this man, he is as much of the problem as anybody.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Haha! This man is doing a HORRIBLE job at showing leadership. He should have done more to get response people in place with food, medicine, water, etc... The same goes for the Governors of the effected states AND the President.

Everyone knew this would be bad, but no one did anything about it to prepare. And yes, it IS the responsibility of the states to ask the federal government for aid. That's one of the joys of the states having so much power - they get to take responsibility for thier own reactions.

You really cannot base this man's ability to lead or take control of the situation just on the basis that he openly criticised the President.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The NO mayor did order police to stop the looting. He ordered all 1500 police of NO to stop rescue missions and begin to stop looters on the 31'st. Personally, I don't think this worked because the looters had AK's and shutguns which they looted from Wall Mart, sporting good stores, pawnshops, ect. I am guessing the looters just shot a lot of the police for the pistols and body armor but this hasn't been reported on. After this happened on the 1'st, homeland security ordered 5k national guard to "patroll" the streets of NO for looters and thats all I've heard about it, no reprots since then.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Most of the police have quit thier jobs, fear is the cause.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Plus, what powers do local authorities and majors have left when martial law is declared?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Everyone knew this would be bad, but no one did anything about it to prepare. And yes, it IS the responsibility of the states to ask the federal government for aid. That's one of the joys of the states having so much power - they get to take responsibility for thier own reactions.

Exactly, if the mayor was so concerned with the citizens in the poor section of the city, why wasn't a concentrated effort to evacuate those without means, by getting them on buses before the storm hit? All of the forecasts I was watching placed New Orleans in the path of the eye at least 48 HRS prior to the event, more than enough time to notify and evacuate the people now trying to be rescued. I am sure there were some stubborn people who thought they could ride out the storm (local government included), but the majority of those now being rescued had nowhere (but the superdome) to go.

I am sure that the frustration level is at the breaking point and hindsight is 20/20, but I bet if the mayor looks at himself in the mirror, he wishes he had that 48 hours back.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Plus, what powers do local authorities and majors have left when martial law is declared?

Next to none! But why does it matter? They're obviously doing a bang-up job with thier power. They can't handle it, so they don't need to be in charge. The government is taking over and things are going to be set straight!

As for the National Guard going in? GOOD! I hope that they shoot to kill anyone who even looks like they're going for a gun/weapon, or looting things they don't need. If they catch people looting food then they take down the information from the person and when the crisis is over they can pay the shopkeeper they stole from back OR go to jail.

And why is everyone against having the NG there in the first place? What has happened in EVERY major lawless situation over the past 50 years? Riots in Detroit? In LA? The NG was brought in to clean things up! What makes this any different? Next to nothing. People are breaking the law and need to be kept in control. The ONLY difference is the catalyst for the situation.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
He did a good job in identifying some of the armed thugs as junkies who are looking for a fix rather than heartless opportunists. Criminals before the disaster remain criminals after the disaster. It appears that the media are presenting us with the notion that otherwize normal law abiding people have become gun toting nutjobs post Hurricane. Hope they're wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ok maybe they should have bused people out before the storm but there still is no reason we aren't dropping a bunch of food and water to these people that are starving to death. Drop enough so that people don't have to fight over it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kramthenothing
Ok maybe they should have bused people out before the storm but there still is no reason we aren't dropping a bunch of food and water to these people that are starving to death. Drop enough so that people don't have to fight over it.

They are not going to bring any food to NO, water yes food no. They do not want people to stay.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
People forgot that before the hurricane the area was already supposed to be under the federal government for disaster relief.

That is why everybody at local level sat back and relaxed.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
People forgot that before the hurricane the area was already supposed to be under the federal government for disaster relief.

That is why everybody at local level sat back and relaxed.

I have heard pre-postioned resources many, many times. That is done by the goverment not the state.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Thats junk, there is a lack of leadership down there and he is the first person who should be responsible for leading. What is he doing? Passing the buck: "its the governer who whould be doing stuff, its the president." No, its New Orleans' problem and he is the only leader whose sole job is to lead NO. He can order the police to stop the looting, to commendeer vehicles to get those people out. He can get his ass out of his suit and into a truck and go pick up people himself. This situation is out of control because the three main leaders, the mayor the governor and the president are all passing the buck. Don't praise this man, he is as much of the problem as anybody.

I try to think along more logical lines: New Orleans has been hit hard by a devastating hurricane - The resources that would normally be used for emergencies have been affected as well, since a hurricane and floods do not discriminate - Whatever little remains intact of those resources is under tremendous strain - Thus the affected areas such as New Orleans rely on the help of the federal government - Thus it is the responsibility of the federal government to act as massively and as promptly as humanly possible.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Haha! This man is doing a HORRIBLE job at showing leadership. He should have done more to get response people in place with food, medicine, water, etc... The same goes for the Governors of the effected states AND the President.

You really cannot base this man's ability to lead or take control of the situation just on the basis that he openly criticised the President.

Have you seen what it looks like over there in the affected areas? How can you expect anything to be functional there? Ofcourse it is the responsibilty of the federal government to act! When one sees the catastrophy and misery, then there should be no waiting for any requests for help. Those countries who helped the Tsunami victims did not wait for any requests - they used their human common sense and helped those in need! How long are you people going to be in denial about the nature of your current government and the havoc it's wrecking around the world as well as in the U.S.?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join