It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrodome filled, turns away refugees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
ASTRODOME: NO MORE ROOM

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Officials at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas, saying the facility has reached capacity, have stopped accepting refugees from flooded New Orleans.

Exhausted evacuees who had traveled more than 300 miles on buses to be housed at the Astrodome were turned away late Thursday and diverted elsewhere.

The city of San Antonio, about 200 miles from Houston, has agreed to take in refugees.

A police spokesman told CNN that the fire marshal informed Houston authorities late Thursday that the Astrodome had reached capacity and, for safety reasons, must stop accepting further refugees.

LINK

I had heard that the United Center was to open up next. This is not good news as there are still 10's of thousands at the Superdome. What next?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

This is not good news as there are still 10's of thousands at the Superdome. What next?

How many are actually left at the superdome?

Also: LA Times reporting a child was raped at the superdome.

www.latimes.com...

Trapped in an Arena of Suffering
By Scott Gold, Times Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — A 2-year-old girl slept in a pool of urine. Crack vials littered a restroom. Blood stained the walls next to vending machines smashed by teenagers.

The Louisiana Superdome, once a mighty testament to architecture and ingenuity, became the biggest storm shelter in New Orleans the day before Katrina's arrival Monday. About 16,000 people eventually settled in.

By Wednesday, it had degenerated into horror. A few hundred people were evacuated from the arena Wednesday, and buses will take away the vast majority of refugees today.

"We pee on the floor. We are like animals," said Taffany Smith, 25, as she cradled her 3-week-old son, Terry. In her right hand she carried a half-full bottle of formula provided by rescuers. Baby supplies are running low; one mother said she was given two diapers and told to scrape them off when they got dirty and use them again.

At least two people, including a child, have been raped. At least three people have died, including one man who jumped 50 feet to his death, saying he had nothing left to live for.

Also, the Australian press is reporting horrific things at the SD.

www.heraldsun.news.com.au...

"They've been through hell and back in that Dome," Mrs McNeil said.

"It's a horrific situation because rapes, murders and stabbings were happening right in front of them."

She said the group had some fresh drinking water left but had not slept and remained scared as violence on the streets escalated to an unprecedented level.

What is the current situation?

I pray for those who have been hurt.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by smallpeeps]

cjf

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The busses that are being turned away from the Dome in Houston, Texas, are being sent to other shelters in Houston (Currently). There are more shelters being set-up in Huntsville, Texas, which is only an hour (plus or minus traffic) from the Dome.

The Dome is utilizing the convention hall for triage, complete with examination rooms, labs and pharmacy. We’ve also set-up Ellington Field as a first stop evaluation triage (60-70+ doctors and nurses) for evacuees as well as those with medical needs. Medical ‘patient evacuees’ and ‘nursing home’ evacuees are being flown in by military transport directly to the field.

This morning when I left the Texas Medical Center all hospitals (40+) were informed not to refuse patients. The evacuee flow is not limited to the Dome and Houston, Texas, has not refused any refugees as yet nor is the response action near overstressed. Last I heard we the Houston area is preparing for an additional 25k above the current number estimates.

We got plenty of room for our good neighbors.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Maybe some other states could start offering facilities. I can understand why Houston stopped receiving refugees. They don't want more than can be handled.

Ouch, I stand corrected. The Astrodome stopped receiving refugees, not Houston.

[edit on 9/2/2005 by darkelf]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjf

We got plenty of room for our good neighbors.

God Bless the state of Texas!

Makes me proud to be a Texan.

I also heard that Alabama has opened its schools for the kids but I have no link

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
You know they could open up other facilities I feel? Why just the Astrodome. Mayhap's buses loaded with the suffering people were refused there but taken elsewhere. It must be.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

You know they could open up other facilities I feel? Why just the Astrodome. Mayhap's buses loaded with the suffering people were refused there but taken elsewhere. It must be.

Dallas

You are correct thank God.........

cjf

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I didn’t mean to leave out the kids:

Houston local ABC news afilliate

HISD Superintendent Abelardo Saavedra has announced Houston schools will accept Louisiana students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. For more information, call HISD at 713-892-6699.

Texas Southern University is opening its doors to help bring comfort and relief to college students from Louisiana who were affected by Hurricane Katrina. TSU will admit any student currently enrolled at the institutions affected by the hurricane for the fall 2005 semester. Application fees will be waived and a meeting for interested students will be held on Thursday, September 1, 2005, 10 a.m. to noon in room 243 of Bell Hall. The University will also hire displaced faculty as required. For more information call 713-313-1059 or 713-313-7071.

Galveston is preparing for displaced persons as well.

new topics

top topics

join