It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Aids on the Horizon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
A company called VaxGen has entered Phase III clinical trials for an AIDs vaccine called AIDSvax. Phase III trials represent the testing of possible side effects, dosage requirements and things like that. Whenever a drug reaches Phase III it is very promising and approval usualy comes in a year. This seems like great news with the AIDs epidemic all over the world and espeicaly in Africa. The company is also working on producing small pox and anthrax vaccines for the United States Army. 15 years ago an AIDs vaccine was the holy grail of medicane and now it seems to be on the horizon. My only reservation is how safe can it realy be since i believe the drug effects how your whole immunology works, and since its a vaccine it would be consumed by people who are Not affected already.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Whoever owns the rights to this thing is gonna get RICH!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if its gonna work.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndianaJoe
A company called VaxGen has entered Phase III clinical trials for an AIDs vaccine called AIDSvax. Phase III trials represent the testing of possible side effects, dosage requirements and things like that. Whenever a drug reaches Phase III it is very promising and approval usualy comes in a year. This seems like great news with the AIDs epidemic all over the world and espeicaly in Africa. The company is also working on producing small pox and anthrax vaccines for the United States Army. 15 years ago an AIDs vaccine was the holy grail of medicane and now it seems to be on the horizon. My only reservation is how safe can it realy be since i believe the drug effects how your whole immunology works, and since its a vaccine it would be consumed by people who are Not affected already.

Do you have a link to this?

-B.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It would be nice if it goes through, but (even if it is effective) it probably wont.

Reason I say this is the same reason that a true cure for cancer hasnt been found: too much money to be made.

Consider: with AIDS or cancer, you have a class of people who NEED your medication, and will die without it, and therefore will pay ANYTHING (made much easier thanks to what is essentially insurance fraud by the pharmaceutical industry).

Therefore, if you are a pharmaceutical company, what is going to make you more money? One shot, and your patient leaves, perfectly fine? Or having them come back month after month in order to stay alive?

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The height of corruption....or is it

Therefore, if you are a pharmaceutical company, what is going to make you more money? One shot, and your patient leaves, perfectly fine? Or having them come back month after month in order to stay alive?

It's sick, but its the truth. I know people that used to work at pharmaceutical companies and thay say it's the truth.

[Edited on 3-9-2003 by omega1]

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Lets just hope this vaccine is the real deal. It would bring relief to millions of people around the world.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Yeah that is right. Good Point ocelot.....

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well, here's what I could find on VaxGen...
www.vaxgen.com...

Not only are they working on an AIDS vaccine, but also one for anthrax....

Their Phase III clinical trials in 2/03 "flopped."
briandeer.com...
Or "was not effective in preventing HIV"
depts.washington.edu...
And they're being sued for securities fraud.
www.milberg.com...

*sighs*
I wish this had a better outcome. At the very least, let's hope some valuable data was gathered despite its failure.

-B.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
The height of corruption....or is it

It's sick, but its the truth. I know people that used to work at pharmaceutical companies and thay say it's the truth.

[Edited on 3-9-2003 by omega1]

You better believe it. My girlfriend and my Mother both work in the pharmaceutical empire and have for years. I say empire because it is huge and powerful beyond belief.

The pharmaceutical companies pretty much have the whole world by the balls, from rich to poor. Physicians learn at Universities built in a large part by these companies and are taught the "FDA" approved way of patient care & medication. HMO and PPO both can and do select meds based on what they say through insurance policies and/or kickbacks. Insurance companies and all medical plans and their policies are also designed by the system for the system, not the patient.

Both Generic and Name Brand Drugs for the most part are made by the same people. Same as Coke selling Coke, Select Cola, etc....Everyone knows there is NO money in a CURE, only in the TREATMENT!!

Think about it, the last major thing cured was polio. They are in the business of allowing people (who will pay the prices they set void of competition) to live with a sickness forever, or until broke. At the same time they have the money and power to silence and discredit any and all other medical treatments.

For example IMO Cancer has alternatives and I have a feeling this may have bee the answer which is why the FDA worked so hard at shutting it down.

The FDA buys and sells the Pain and Death of the Human Race for it's own benefit.

www.zwire.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Penthouse Magazine (RIP) at one time ran a series of articles titled Medical Genocide. Apparently Bob Gucciones wife contracted breast cancer, and was terminal. Guccione got her on an experimental drug known as Hydrazine Sulfate (a derivative of rocket fuel).

Hydrazine Sulfate was found to have very good effects on the wasting away that is common in terminal cancer patients. At the time, this drug was undergoing FDA trials, and was then found to be ineffective. Within a matter of months of being taken off of Hydrazine Sulfate, Gucciones wife died.

So why would the FDA want to get rid of a cancer drug that worked?

Because it worked.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Millions of suffering souls are worth nothing compared to money for pharmaceutical companies. THe thought alone outrages me. I will do some more reasearch on the topic, because I know it is broader then it looks.
I guess some people will do horrible things for money.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Some of the craziest stuff I've read is Cancer Treatment Techniques that are used and told to be the only treatments available.

All the chemicals and Radiation could be thought of as "Hi-tech" Middle-Age Science. The idea is to rapidly and strategicly poison and Gamma Ray your cells to death. The genius part of the idea is that hopefully you kill the cancer cells off before you kill too many healthy cells that you die.

Or if you're lucky it may be in an arm or leg which you can lop off in hopes that it hasn't spread somewhere else first. A guy I knew did it all. Played Water Polo, Skater, A hottie on both arms....Then in high school went through mass treatment that he said was just more painful. Then lost his leg, but it spread. He just refused the torture from the Professional Quacks and lived a short full life for a few years instead.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
It would be nice if it goes through, but (even if it is effective) it probably wont.

Reason I say this is the same reason that a true cure for cancer hasnt been found: too much money to be made.

Absolutely right...

Consider: with AIDS or cancer, you have a class of people who NEED your medication,

and will die without it ...they think.

Not so sure about that!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

, and therefore will pay ANYTHING (made much easier thanks to what is essentially insurance fraud by the pharmaceutical industry).

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Its a shame that such a gifted bunch of Doctors and the work they have done most likely most of their adult lives are being screwed over by a few rich investors. It seems to me like Vaxgen is up to their eyballs in law suits, investor fraud, and blatent coroption. I hope that these corporate evils do not deter an extreamly promising field of research that one day may save millions of lives.

top topics

join