It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Shoot-to-kill orders for New Orleans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Honestly, yeah i think there is widespread unrest because the government is refusing help and is draging its feet. I dont know what the hell is going on around where i live, we are having fuel shortages and i think there is just general unrest.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well this just comes to show you when push comes to shove and you become homeless you also are very likely to be labelled as vermin by Guardsmen sent in to restore order. I fear that the victims of this Hurricaine will now become the victims of their fellow countrymen. When the news of what happens in the effected area's trickles out, maybe widespread unrest will be the least of US's problems.

9/11, Iraq and now This. 3 strikes, will this be seen as the USA's fall from it's height? It's "Peak" if you will? I'm sure many members on ATS will disagree with me and say things will continue as usuall after the recovery efferts have taken place, but can things really return to normal now after so much has happened? I doubt it...

[edit on 2-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Well it depends how strongly the people feel about it - strongly enough for there to be action in other cities? From another country where I am it's hard to get an accurate picture of how America feels.

I'm sure after this is all over there will be a concerted effort using the media to 'smooth things over'. I can almost picture the Oprah show right now.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I look at this thread and I see people supporting the shoot to kill initiative of the newly employed military soldiers in the flood ridden city of New Orleans. Shoot to kill for what? Looting?

Is the value of a DVD player really worth more than a persons life? Does a Panasonic TV warrant a bullet to a persons head?

It shows that our society values personal property over human life, which is...in all sense of the word 'horrible'.

For all those that support this miltia-like movement, I hope that some day in the near future you will have a better grip on reality and realize what matters most in life. Life itself.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Simulacra

They probably won't know what that is until the guns are aimed at their own heads and then they will understand - maybe.

I guess all this talk about christianity and being the 'good' guys doesn't apply when you are poor and dying of thirst/hunger. If you happen to take a television because you have no insurance and every little bit you had is now gone, what is the problem?

How can the solution be to shoot them in the head? The stuff is lost anyway - someone will claim insurance and get money back. Can we really be so callous as to care more about possessions than human life?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Mayor of NO is on CNN now and he is pissed. Furious is more like it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Nickelbee you summed it up very well. What has the supposedly free nation become. After all the lessons of the past we still venture forward with such a base mentality. Worse than animals, these are just possessions material things and it's human lives that is being taken. To condon this action is as atrocious as the act itself.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Maybe if the citizens did not have such easy access to firearms then the problem would require fewer resources to control it.

An angry mob with basic weapons can be controlled quite effectivley. An angry mob with automatic weapons takes more resource and time to bring under control.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expositor
Maybe if the citizens did not have such easy access to firearms then the problem would require fewer resources to control it.

An angry mob with basic weapons can be controlled quite effectivley. An angry mob with automatic weapons takes more resource and time to bring under control.

I think you are still missing the point. Why are these people angry? Can it be because they have been wandering the streets for days scavenging off whatever food they can get, waiting days for some type of 'relief' effort, sleeping on the flood soaked streets.

Who would not be angry?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expositor

I'm afraid that may the underlying evil side effect to this whole ordeal. Gun Control needed a catalyst so they no longer have to worry about a well armed citizenry, and as the situation deteriorates in NO, Gun Control Proponents are going to have all the ammo they need to push the next phase.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Are any of us there? do any of us know what the people stranded there are going through? Do any of us know how we would behave in similar situations? the answer to three of those questions is obviously no. If any of us are at our computer posting replies to this thread, we are safe, dry, probably in our own homes with electricity. It is easy for a person to be good and decent when life is even passably good but when things become desperate, people often react far, far differently. I am not there so I cannot pass any form of value judgement on them because I am not in their shoes. BUT if buses and troops can get through why can't food and relief supplies? Bush etal, our most rested president, should have left Crawford when it became obvious that Katrina could be bad, and the relief efforts should have been gearing up then just in case...it is not like they didn't know what could happen...it would have been far far better to have wasted the money gearing up and have to issue a stand down order than this after the fact response...the people there have the right to be frightened, and mad. I know I would be. What is the point of protecting consumer goods, just things, only things, when after the months it will take to drain the city, even the electrical stuff will be croded, the food rotten and/or contaminated and the furniture mildewed and moldy? Let em have it, all that stuff will have to be thrown away anyway....unless they can get out with them clean dry and safe, it won't do them any good and I would hazard that a good 80 to 90 precent of the looters are just doing it out of anger and fustration. Now those who are looting to resell should be stopped but shoot to kill for stuff? No absolutely not...if there really are only a couple ways out of the city setting up screening type checkpoints to catch them should be easy.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I would not like to be in teh superdome - 7 year old girls being raped , murder on an hourly basis.

When the troops go in , there will be mass bloodshed

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Things will bust wide open if those MP's start killing people in the streets, like in iraq. I honestly feel a civil war will not be far off.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
there should be shoot to kill orders in a situation like this. amyone who shoots at rescue workers should be shot at. the rescue workers are trying to save lives and when they are refusing to go look for people because of the fear of being shot at for no reason something needs to be done. lives and getting things back to normal depend on it.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Someone refresh my memory, but, during the Tsunami, I don't remember hearing about any looting or shooting or raping.

I'm really disappointed in people.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Someone refresh my memory, but, during the Tsunami, I don't remember hearing about any looting or shooting or raping.

Because usually there is nothing to loot in third world countries.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Thailand is hardly a third world country. Anyway what exactly are these people with 28 inch widescreen TVs planning to do with them? There's nowhere to plug them in and it's not like they can sell them on ebay

As for the comment about civil war, could that really happen? I can almost hear echoes of 'I told you so' from the Titor fans from here!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am not one for conspiracy theories. (So, what am I doing on this site?
) There have been some doozies put forward here (for example, somebody creating the storm with some secret weapon.) Here's one more down to earth, that I haven't seen yet, and that I give some small chance of reality...

What if the Federal disaster response was deliberately poor and delayed?

This could be done to gain acceptance of massive spending on homeland security initiatives.

I don't believe this to be the case, but of all of the possible conspiracy theories, I'd give this one the most liklihood. I also think that the reason given above is much more likely than a racist one, etc.

I also think there is some possibility that something like this may have happened, not so much as a planned conspiracy but as the result of a mindset. People and groups of people often do thing subconciously without even realizing it due to their wishes, biases or mindset. for example, I think that there are many cases where government officials steer funds to particular companies or individuals without there ever being any quid pro quo, but simply on the wish that their generosity will be duely noted and acted upon.

Perhaps the same mechanism was in play here - officials wishing for widespread acceptance among the public and Congress of massive funding for homeland security, and then subconciously siezing on a presented opportunity.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by Bay_Watcher]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I look at this thread and I see people supporting the shoot to kill initiative of the newly employed military soldiers in the flood ridden city of New Orleans. Shoot to kill for what? Looting?

Is the value of a DVD player really worth more than a persons life? Does a Panasonic TV warrant a bullet to a persons head?

It shows that our society values personal property over human life, which is...in all sense of the word 'horrible'.

For all those that support this miltia-like movement, I hope that some day in the near future you will have a better grip on reality and realize what matters most in life. Life itself.

You have voted Simulacra for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join