It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Military Confirms Soldiers Killed Reuters Soundman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Major General Rick Lynch has confirmed that US Soldiers opened fire on a car containing two reuters journalists but has declared that the action was appropriate. Lynch stated that the vehicle containing Waleed Khaled, a reuters soundman and Haider Kadhem, a reuters cameraman, was approaching at high speed and the individuals in the vehicle were hanging outside the vehicle with what looked to be a weapon. It is believed that Kadhem was filming with a small video camera at the time. Kadhem was then detained and questioned by US troops for three days after the incident.

www.news.com.au
Reuters Global Managing Editor David Schlesinger rejected any suggestion that the killing of Waleed was justified.

"The idea that the killing of a professional journalist doing his duty could be justified is repugnant to me," he said.

Mr Schlesinger called on the military to release the results of their inquiry as soon as possible so that Reuters could respond fully.

"To come to these conclusions without a full and independent investigation is rash and unwise," he said.

Waleed Khaled, 35, had worked for Reuters in Baghdad for two years and was a key member of news teams working in the capital.

He was a much-loved colleague who left a wife who is four-months pregnant and a seven-year-old daughter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Theres more to this than meets the eye, What were the reuters journalists actually filming. Does that mean if you look like an Iraqi you can't drive around hanging out the window filming? Were the Americans a tad too trigger happy?

I wonder also what happened to the film in Kadhems camera, will it be released in it's entirety back to reuters?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Reuters Demands Release of Wounded Cameraman

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
At what time does a soldier decide to open fire on a potential danger? Does he wait until the bullet has blown his skull apart or does he act first and save himself and his fellow brothers? I don't know anything other than your story but can say that in the situation you think of yourself and your family here and there. If they were not to fire and they were holding guns then the news would be different.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This simply means if you are Iraqi, you are hanging out the window, you are holding an unidentified item aimed at the military and are approaching them at high speeds, you will be shot.

Simple as that.

These guys were idiots.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I agree.

In a thunderstorm you dont run around in a field with a metal rod... Just like in war you dont drive high speeds at troops with things pointed at them unless you want to be shot.

Its a simple case of "risk and reward". The risk they took was way to high for the reward. Im sure his wife would say the same, maybe his kids in a couple years.

[edit on 9/1/05 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

"The idea that the killing of a professional journalist doing his duty could be justified is repugnant to me," he said.

Other than getting the facts straight, what is a journalist's "duty?"

I thought journalists were not supposed to get so immersed in the story that they affected its outcome.

What were these guys hoping to accomplish? Film the response of U.S. soldiers at a checkpoint when they thought they were under attack?

At least the cops and soldiers wear uniforms. Did their vehicle say "press" on the front, and if it did, should the soldiers have responded differently?

And just because someone carries a press-pass doesn't automatically mean that they are always behaving as a neutral party. Jack Ruby used press credentials from The Jerusalem Post to enter the Dallas Police department and assasinate Lee Harvey Oswald while he was in police custody.

I'm still trying to figure out that line about a newsman "doing his duty . . ."

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
This simply means if you are Iraqi, you are hanging out the window, you are holding an unidentified item aimed at the military and are approaching them at high speeds, you will be shot.

Is it policy to fire warning shots first? or shoot-to-kill and ask questions later?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski

Originally posted by Simulacra

Is it policy to fire warning shots first? or shoot-to-kill and ask questions later?

I suspect that it's a question of how eminent the threat is. Warning shots are for ships approaching naval vessels which take minutes. Not cars racing top speed into a checkpoint, which sounds just like a suicide bomber.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yeah, common sense would seem to tell you you dont point anything that looks like a gun at a soldier. It makes you wonder if the journalists were trying to get this reaction so they could say "see! they shoot at civilians!"

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Nothing new that US forces are trained to be trigger happy. They shoot innocent people all the time, whilst producing coverup stories and excuses. I pity the head honchos and their lack of common sense...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
yeah, ok lets send you into a warzone and see when you start shooting

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phlake
Nothing new that US forces are trained to be trigger happy. They shoot innocent people all the time, whilst producing coverup stories and excuses. I pity the head honchos and their lack of common sense...

I, for one, would hope that soldiers are trained to be trigger happy.

What is a soldier's job?

To kill people and break things. In that order. Soldiers who weren't ready to shoot at a moment's notice would not be alive very long.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see what is on that tape.

Also, I notice that people are saying that there was a coverup. This incident happend this monday. There was no coverup. These guys were aiming this thing, and the military wanted to know who they were and what they were doing. It took three days to confirm everyone's story and background. Thats not a coverup.

Originally posted by timski

I gather that the rules of engagement are to fire warning shots first, but the guy hanging out the window and aiming something might've put it in a class that permits firing to kill. Hell, if I think that someone is aiming something at me like that, I'll shoot to kill too.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
First of all, all US and foreign soldiers should follow the rules of engagement. One of them is "Fire when fired upon". Now warning shots are fired most of the time in a situation like that. This sometimes acts like ”bait", that means that as the warning shots are fired the insurgent fires back (most of the time out of fear). A normal person stops and lets them see he's not a target.
That said, I don't believe either sides to the fullest. I can guarantee you however, that US soldiers aren't trained to be trigger happy. They are trained to designate targets and take them out, safely for them and others. Anything else is lack of training and probably triggered by fear of dying. I don't blame them to shoot. That’s not how normal person would drive by an army checkpoint. I think incidents like these show very well that the reporters and the soldiers aren't working together.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

To kill people and break things. In that order. Soldiers who weren't ready to shoot at a moment's notice would not be alive very long.

[color=#FF0000]Read, think, speak. IN THAT ORDER. Deny ignorance! Rules of engagement

Originally posted by Nygdan
Hell, if I think that someone is aiming something at me like that, I'll shoot to kill too.

Good thing your not a soldier then. I hope you never have to be, for your sake.

To wrap it up, both sides did something wrong, one side (reporters) did the really stupid “lets get killed thing” and the soldiers did the really stupid “lets shoot first, never ask thing”.

Have a nice day

[edit on 1-9-2005 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Totally agree here with the majority of what's being said...

If you have any common sense, you're not going to pull a stunt like this an expect to get waves and smiles from the troops as you approach at high speeds with unidentifiable equipment hanging out of a window - I mean, most of these cameras are bulky and black....I can think of quite a few firearms that would bare resemblance....

And warning shots in a war environment with an unknown threat are not given out like candy....In fact, there is no damn candy in the desert....Just sweat and blood....And that really isn't related....although I guess it is....what the hell am I saying....

Stupid people do stupid things....Many of whom deserve the end result for their actions...

[edit on 9/1/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
....In fact, there is no damn candy in the desert....Just sweat and blood....And that really isn't related....although I guess it is....what the hell am I saying....

Stupid people do stupid things....Many of whom deserve the end result for their actions...

[edit on 9/1/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

Yes sir!

Don't you love the smell of burnt ignorance in the morning (although its almost 21:00 where I'm at
)
Both soldiers and reporters should lern to KISS
(if you know what i mean)

[edit on 1-9-2005 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Conditional Standards

How ironic that so many who criticize U.S. soldiers for being "trigger happy" are the same ones who crow with glee at the rising death toll for those soldiers who don't shoot soon enough.

Duly noted.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
There have been many similar incidents that have happened in Iraq since the coalition got there. Most people, especially journalists (who you would expect have a decent education and reasoning ability), know by now that it is suicidal to drive at high speed towards a group of armed military. Add to that the dumb mistake of pointing something at the military, and you had better be prepared to meet your maker.

It was an unfortunate incident, but the outcome was predictable.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Conditional Standards

How ironic that so many who criticize U.S. soldiers for being "trigger happy" are the same ones who crow with glee at the rising death toll for those soldiers who don't shoot soon enough.

Duly noted.

Actually, most of them don't have anything to shoot at. Most casualties I think, were due to bombs and traps. The others were brave and profetional enough to not shoot untill beign shure.
Out there it isn't speculation, its life. And If you pull the trigger, its still your bullet that might fly throu that woman/child/elderly civlians head. No matter what they where holding or driving in and it is you ho has to live with it. I would say the best soldiers know that.

new topics

top topics

join