It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bryce 4 Users?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The office down the hall is moving to a new location and using this time to clear out their shelves of out-dated software...

Amid the piles of various editions of Photoshop, Macromedia, Norton, etc...I found a copy of Bryce 4.....I've been itching to play around with 3-D modeling software, and can't wait to give it a shot...

I understand SO uses a version of Bryce to create our own ATS super-hero....And I was just curious - Of those in the know, where are some of the better sites out there that you can go to get tutorials on this software?

It seems fairly user-friendly, but I'm sure there are a few secrets out there on the net I haven't found yet....

BTW:
(I also found an interesting (rather old) piece of software called "Faces 3.0" that looks like some sort of police composite sketch program - I plan on using this to make some ugly mugs and post them for a few laughs....lol)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I am not familiar with Bryce 4, but I was under the impression it was a good 3d terrain modeling.

I have used terragen in the past (free) and it does wonders.

As for 3D Modeling well its tough to say where to send you for help. I have used a program called Blender 3D (free) in the past and its pretty decent.

Its not very simple to get started with though.

I do not know what file formats the Bryce software will handle, but I know that Blender can take blender files along with plug ins to handle other 3D formats like lightwave etc.

In the past I looked up Blender, Lightwave etc tutorials on google. The Blender website has its own tutorials section. Again im unfamiliar with Bryce.

You can also download entire models (just for fun or to edit).

Its just a matter of some searching and patience. Believe me, 3D modeling is no walk in the park.

Reminds me, I should make a thread about Terragen...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
By the way, im interesting in that faces program, gotta let me know what that one does. Sounds fun.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the info Dulcimer...I'll have to look into that Blender program...

I installed Bryce and played around with it some - I had no clue what I was doing, but it seems like a fairly easy program to navigate once you figure out what everything does....THE GUI kind of reminds me of that old Mac program that allowed you to twist and distort pictures - Lots of buttons and arrows and pre-rendered models...

There are some tutorials and extras and the CD as well...

As for the Faces program, I haven't had time to play around with that one yet but it looks pretty interesting albeit a bit outdated....

Once I get a chance to figure that one out I'll try and post some of the goofy faces I come up with
They look pretty realistic on the cover and in the manual...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
www.3dcafe.com has some Bryce tutorials. Click on the "Free Stuff" link in the right-hand menu. You have to agree that you're not going to use the free stuff for commercial purposes, but that's it.

I'd really recommend blender as well. I know between this and a post I made in one of Dulcimer's threads, I probably sound like I'm on their payroll
But it's really a great program, and completely free. There is a steep learning curve, but if you're willing to put in the time and energy to go through the tutorials and figure it out, I'm sure you'd be pleased with it.

Also, a google search for "bryce 4" tutorials came up with quite a few hits.

If you try out blender, I'm sure those of us on here would be more than glad to give you a hand, either with actual answers or pointing you where you might find some better help.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Have you actually thought about asking SO if he uses it how he learnt? :p

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you find you do not want to use bryce, definately check out blender.

Heres the first ever object I made in blender.

top topics

join