It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina relief. My suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I thought it was a good idea.
So I sent this e-mail, to a few departments at
Marriott corpration.
I suggest that others from the board cut and paste this, or write your own.
Send it to various Hotel chains for your choice. Send one, send twenty.
Maybe we can start something.

---------------------------------------

Marriott International, Inc.
September 1, 2005

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxxxxxxxx. I prefer your hotels when I travel, and am a
member of your Marriot Rewards program. So I am sending this to you first.

The recent, tragic events in the Gulf Region of our country, made me think of something.
“Where will people stay, when they have no home, when they can’t even get to where
their home used to stand?” I’m sure some of these thousands of victims would be happy if they could even pitch a tent on their own property. They can’t get there, and may not be allowed for weeks, months.

I am thousands of miles away, and can only offer money. But you, are nearly everywhere. Maybe you can help. Maybe you, can adopt displaced families.

I ask you to begin a campaign, television, radio, print, offering American hospitality.
New Orleans is famous for it’s hospitality. It’s time for all of us to pay a little back.

Please consider it, go on the air, state your plans to adopt a family, or more, at each of your hotels. If you can ask for donations from the American public, do it, if it will help defer the cost. If airfare is required, pay for it.

This is really a national emergency, and it’s your chance to show that you care.
These people need some sense of normalcy in their lives, I think you could offer that.

I am hoping that this can grow into something bigger. That other hotel chains will come
to their senses, and jump on the bandwagon. But you will be the ones that started the ball rolling.

Thank you for taking this under consideration.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Bump for the east coasters.
I hope someone is interested in this.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
75 views, not even a comment. an additional suggestion, or constructive critic.

Am I on global ignore?

Or should I just be ashamed..

Look, you can donate money..But shelter doesn't appear, just because
the money is there.. It has to be built, and it takes time..

You think it's bad now, and it certainly is... What is going to happen when the people who evacuated, start coming back?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Excellent idea....and just wanted to let you know. Don't stop your ideas (esp. the good ones).

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Space,
Great idea!
But you know the corperate mentality:

Thank you Mr. xxxxx
We hav a review board for your type of ideas and it will be scheduled for the next meeting of said board.

Thank you for your patronage!

Have a nice day!

My suggestion would be to call the corperate headquarters and lay into them. Lay a guilt trip on em. Thats what I'm doing!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thanks you two..

I did recieve a "canned response"...but it was from a person..
I'll post it up here a bit later..
In the meantime..Let's try sending more out!

[edit on 1-9-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My addition to that is Greyhound. Not the couple I've seen on CNN/news [which are most likely left-over from the storm, and not serviceable], I'm talking GREYHOUND !!!!!!!! Buses of hundreds could get people out in good time. It's not like they need to get to Oregon for safe keeping.

But, sadly, most corporations don't like to buck up in time of need for national identity. No profit in it.

Misfit

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hi spacedoubt - great idea! I'm from UK so not sure I could do anything vis-a-vis Marriott, but maybe we could all get the ball rolling here on ATSNN........more than FEMA etc. seem able to do! There are thousands and thousands of displaced people there and they need something concrete - not this co-ordination bull# - they need water food and shelter. They also need to know that their country has not forsaken them! C'mon you guys in the US of A - be inventive like Spacedoubt! Lobby lobby lobby - Like Misfit said - Greyhound! What about the railways and airlines - Kmart and Wal-Mart - what about the out-of-date food they throw away - tons every day like in England - c'mon guys think! Get these companies moving - try the publicity angle - they all need it don't they? Come to think of it, I have a Hotmail account - they won't know thats from England will they?

Great idea

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
My addition to that is Greyhound. Not the couple I've seen on CNN/news [which are most likely left-over from the storm, and not serviceable], I'm talking GREYHOUND !!!!!!!! Buses of hundreds could get people out in good time. It's not like they need to get to Oregon for safe keeping.

But, sadly, most corporations don't like to buck up in time of need for national identity. No profit in it.

Misfit

VERY TRUE..

Maybe we could play-up the P.R. part of this..
If you send a letter, make sure you mention the "Good Press"

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Here is the response from Marriott I promised:
Anyone else trying, or getting responses?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx,,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide
you with information.

Marriott International is involved in a number of philanthropic, community, and
cultural pursuits. Additional donations, scholarships, sponsorships, or
pledges may be available through the general manager of a Marriott brand hotel
in your community. Contact information for all of Marriott's hotels can be
found by using the directory at the following link:

marriott.com...

We invite you to contact Marriott International's corporate headquarters for
additional information.

Marriott International's corporate headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.
The address and phone number for this office can be found below:

Corporate Headquarters
Marriott International
1 Marriott Drive
Washington, D.C. 20058
Phone: (301) 380-3000

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marriott Internet Customer Care

-------------------------------------------------

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Here is the response from Marriott I promised:
Anyone else trying, or getting responses?

It's a form letter. You got blew-off. It's the Corporate America way.

Misfit

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yep,

Not giving up though..

I will be sending my "blow off" responses..to News agencies..
With corporate names attached..

How is it working out for you?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Greyhound Lines, Inc.
September 1, 2005

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxxxx. I contact you in referrance to the tragedy that our fellow Americans are enduring.

The recent, tragic events in the Gulf Region of our country, followed by the quandary of transportation for those now stranded, has myself and a others on an Internet forum with national recognition thinking "what now?".

We are thousands of miles away, and can only offer money. But you are on every road in the country. Maybe you can help. Maybe all those people stranded - men, women, children and babies - can do what you have always wanted America to do ....... "Go Greyhound".

We ask you to begin a campaign within your own corporation, that perhaps you may lend a few [or few hundred, heh] Greyhounds to help these people get to safety. You being a transportation company, perhaps you could implore the air industry as well to help. My thought of that is, once you get them out of the city [naturally, with official guidance] the air industry could get them to homes of relatives, perhaps a distance that would not be feasible for Greyhound alone, considering the massive numbers of people this deals with.

Please consider it, go on the air, state your plans to help our Americans here at home! If you can ask for donations from the American public, do it, if it will help defer the cost.

This is really a national emergency, and it’s your chance to show that you care.
These people need some sense of normalcy in their lives, I think you could offer that.
These people need to know they are still part of the National Identity known as America.

I am hoping that this can grow into something bigger, that other transportation companies will come to aide as well. Think about it, it would be Greyhound that started this needed exodus, it would be Greyhound that could stick its chestout for years to come.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx

[edit on 1-9-2005 by Misfit]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
THANKS!

Hopefully this will amount to something big....
I talked to my wife (who is not a member here), and she is getting involved..

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by maldives01
Come to think of it, I have a Hotmail account - they won't know thats from England will they?

Great idea

Well, they are an international company..I thihk it might help actually , coming from another country..Give it a try..
And thanks..

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
i work for one of the big 4 cable providers and i did try to get something going companywide, well its still a work in progress.

I proposed we put collection boxes in each payment office company wide so customers and employees both could pitch in and the answer i got was "it will be considered"

hell, one manager even told me well you can donate anytime you like, didnt even take the time to try and understand what i was saying.

new topics

top topics

join