It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Kabala?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Qubala? Qabala? Qu'bala? I don't know how to spell it. I just want to know what the book is about, who wrote it, and who was the original audience it was intended for?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Im no expert but i will try to help the best i can. Dont worry about how you pronounce it as different griups of people just change the spelling abit but its all the same thing. Who originaly wrote it.....that is the question i can not answer, i would like to know myself who originaly wrote it. As the intended audience, it was firstly for the priests of the day and it was mostly forbidden amoing the common folk, especialy women and children.
Kabbala is practicly jewish mysticism, yet from what i know of it i think it has deep ties to science today and pyschology, yet thousands of years ago this was seen as magick. This is why it is considerd mysticism.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by trinitrotoluene
Qubala? Qabala? Qu'bala? I don't know how to spell it. I just want to know what the book is about, who wrote it, and who was the original audience it was intended for?

The Qabalah (or "Kabalah") is not book, it is a school of philosophy. There are many written about the Qabalah; the most famous are the Zohar and Sepher Yetzirah.

The Qabalah is a mystical philosophy, and appears to be the result of Hellenistic Jews attempting to consolidate classical Judaism with the Neo-Platonism that they learned post-100 A.D. Egypt. It's actually quite a fascinating school of thought.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It is an extremely ancient and mystical art of aquiring information on occult and esoteric interests.

To begin you breathe in through your nose, exhaling slowly through pursed lips, while you meditate on a letter sequence.

The best letter sequence for non rabbis is this one, which is purported to be the Hebrew name of the angel of wisdom. It goes like this:

W - W - W - DOT - G - O - O - G - L - E - DOT - C - O - M

where the dot represents Hatef Qametz, which is sort of a schewa/O vowel.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wow, interesting path you travel...

Here are just a few links from various sources to get you started:

- Sephardic studies in English with HaRav Ariel Bar Tzadok
www.koshertorah.com...
(I have at least 30 tapes/cds from this rabbi, he has some interesting stuff depending on what background you have come from)

- This is an interesting site to browse through
home.utah.edu...

- Of course, the site everyone has probably heard of because of Madonna
www.kabbalah.com...

- This is not a bad site for an intro lesson
www.workofthechariot.com...

- This is an online book translated into English from the works of Avraham Abulafia (One of the main teachers of early Kabbalah, though controversial in his time)
www.questia.com...;jsessionid=CZJZBqY8T6D5ws2Nxqhk032xJ0l19BKGMtnpswkPYLSgSbD6hTlC!1623989841?a=o&d=102525970

- Best of all, here are tons of links to kabbalah websites
www.psyche.com...

Have fun

Gods Peace

dAlen

[edit on 1-9-2005 by dAlen]

while Im at it, here are some more links...

- for Christians to ponder about (the material I read through is very similar to material available from a certain rabbi, yet of course this has a Christian twist to it. It is as it is.)
www.christ-centeredkabbalah.org...

- Rabbi David Coopers book God is a Verb is great for beginners
(especially people searching from a Christian background, IMO.)
www.rabbidavidcooper.com...

- Rabbi Michael Laitman (his group, Bnei Baruch, apparently share a teaching lineage that traces to Yehuda Ashlag, the same as Rav Berg's Kabbalah Center. However, as it points out on the Bnei Baruch website, they are not affiliated with any other Kabbalah sites.)
kabbalah.info...

- Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh (interesting stuff, though the site has apparently just been updated...havent gone through the new site yet.)
www.inner.org...

- Breslov Chassidus
www.breslov.com...

Now, all these links will give you some direction as to your question...but the journey is yours.
Yes there is the Qabalah (Crowley, Golden Dawn) and Cabalah (medieval christian Kabbalah, though modern Christians would denounce any such practice), and Kabbalah (Jewish) from whence the former 2 supposedly draw their information from. (Im sure this can be weaved even bigger, but this is the gist)

I highly recommend Gershom Scholems book: Kabbalah - "A definitive History of the Evolution, Ideas, Leading Figures and Extraordinary Influence of Jewish Mysticism."
Kabbalist may not be thrilled with him because he puts into question the authenticity of authorship of a large body of work called the Zohar. (Which is the foundation for most of what you see in mainstream Kabbalah today. Along with the works of the Ari through Rabbi Haim Vital)

Again, Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Loads of info on this topic in our archives. Here's just one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join