It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Website leaks 121 alleged secret agent names

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
An infamous US website has struck again. This time releasing more then 200 alleged MI6 agent's identities, date of birth, and last known location. The website is famed for posting secrets the governments would rather be kept quiet, and has never been asked to remove content.. until now:

www.mirror.co.uk
Scores of British spies fear their cover is blown after they were named by a US website.

It listed 121 alleged secret agents - including former Liberal Democrat leader Paddy Ashdown. Some are understood to be serving intelligence officers based around the world.

The Foreign Office blasted the website as "extremely irresponsible".

Sources said terrorists could use the information to aid attacks on the UK. One said: "Naming officers in the field in places like Iraq could result in an intelligence failure."

The website is run by John Young, who "welcomes" secret documents for publication and recently said there was a "need to name as many intelligence officers and agents as possible".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The current list now stands at 276 released MI6 agent names.

While I've never really cared one way or another about the material presented on this website, I think this recent push to disclose secret agent identities is going to get this website shut down. It's a real dangerous practice, and could potentially cost several people their lives.

The website was down for the better part of the day due to either extremely high traffic or attacks. But it seems to be back online and has agreed to remove all names that are NOT MI6 agents.

Edit Permission:
The website in question is cryptome.org...
A direct link to the agent list can be found here: cryptome.org...

Related News Links:
news.com.com
management.silicon.com

[edit on 8/31/2005 by QuietSoul]

df1

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The website in question is cryptome.org...

Are you sure that is an accurate link? I heard that the agents names were disclosed at karlrove.com.

disclaimer: This is an attempt by me at humor. It is not intended to insult or degrade anyone of a particular political persuasion.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There is alot of information on that site about military instalations around the world and several other things. One i noticed was it mentioned an inteligence gathering post that was used in the cold war, I know because i was there.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Great, that means more visits from the FBI.
Guess it is not over after all, cryptome happens to remain one of my favorite sites from before ATS was my poison. Damn, better delete those files I saved, oh man...

Like I said in a different post, if you havn't been to that site, it might be better that way. Plausible denial isn't all bad.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is amazingly irresponsible. Information is classified for a good reason. ESPECIALLY information about agents. Those names that were released could get a lot of people killed depending on where they are in the world. He deserves to be shut down and thrown in jail for that.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
well i hope they remember to ask google to remove it from their cache as i just found the page in question still there

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   

It's a real dangerous practice, and could potentially cost several people their lives.

Strange that you hold this view, and yet here you are actively assisting to increase exposure of the namelist by posting it on a website with a global audience in the tens of thousands.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Damn that really irks me!

Ive had cryptome on bookmark for a while now but I didnt think they would jeapordize peoples lives in such fashion.

Just what did they think we the public needed that information for? Absolutely insane.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, we had a RATS discussion involving cryptome, I think it was in RATS anyways. Well, the topic was what the site is for, best described by John;

Cryptome welcomes documents for publication that are prohibited by governments worldwide, in particular material on freedom of expression, privacy, cryptology, dual-use technologies, national security, intelligence, and secret governance -- open, secret and classified documents -- but not limited to those.
Documents are removed from this site only by order served directly by a US court having jurisdiction. No court order has ever been served; any order served will be published here -- or elsewhere if gagged by order. Bluffs will be published if comical but otherwise ignored.

It is the stated purpose of the site, who is to blame, the one bringing the security issue out inthe open, or those who have violated and lost control of the information security they were supposed to maintain. Unless he is a great hacker or cunning spy, he didn't steal the info it was already leaked (as far as I know, can you prove other wise).

Don't shoot the messenger for crying out loud, blame the one who actually is responcible for the stuff being on the public net.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Just what did they think we the public needed that information for? Absolutely insane.

I agree. I remember seeing the particular document in question on cryptome quite a while ago, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I figured it was an outdated list since it was posted on the site so openly and without much fanfare.

Exposing government corruption and dirty dealings is one thing, but putting innocent intel operatives' lives at risk by exposing their identities for no apparent reason other than "because you can" is another.

[edit on 2005-9-1 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Why are some people executed for treason or at least they recieve lifetime sentence prison when some website does the same? First how to build a nuke now agent names, what next?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
just wanted to say, the following posted by df1 is pure beauty;

Are you sure that is an accurate link? I heard that the agents names were disclosed at karlrove.com.

disclaimer: This is an attempt by me at humor. It is not intended to insult or degrade anyone of a particular political persuasion

This post says more about the state of affairs both in the world and on ATS alike, then even the story alone conveys.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I am very suprised that the site is still operable, I've heard even ATS has had to take down stuff before. But I'm quite sure ATS has never posted the names of agents and operatives (yes there is a difference).

This is the kind of information that should stay secret. Political corruption, chemtrails, UFO's, thats the sort of stuff that we would like to know about. Revieling the names of covert operatives does nothing positive for the public and endangers the lives of the operatives in question.

However I think the real question is simple. How the hell did this site get a hold of this information?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I am very suprised that the site is still operable, .... How the hell did this site get a hold of this information?

If cryptome got the info, then it's GUARANTEED that "the enemy" had it first.

Publishing the list online simply alerts the agents that there is a leak. Perhaps that's the real security problem?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
in that case, crypto serves as a siren when the system slips up.

call me a hater, but i have no problem with those names being released.

NO, I dont want to see more people die, but you'd have to convince me those opperatives efforts were making the world a better place before I care that they risk their own lives. If they want to be agents so bad, if they believe in what they're doing; power to em' - but IMHO they are confused and/or criminals anyways.

(i.e. I tend to believe their efforts, however pure the intentions, do more harm to this world than good. That goes for anyone who promotes a false 'reality' shroud cover to the populations of the world.)

I believe the world would be a better place if everyone told the truth.. but yeah, this is earth....

[edit on 1-9-2005 by lost]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Jeez, I understand that some people think that ALL government-related information should be made public, but I think that there should be stuff that we just don't know. Not to protect the government against bad stuff it may happen to do, but to protect us as citizens.

America and the UK have spies everywhere. Some of them are spying on possible terrorist cells within the US and Europe, and may have even infiltrated them enough to help bring them down and track down higher-up terrorists. But when some jackass sells out information regarding the identities of the spies, and then another jackass publicized the information, we go back to square one.

That is just one example. With enough time we could think of hundreds of ways that this "watchdog" is f*ing us.

Sono incazzato nero!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Full discloseure. thats the only way mankind is going to evolve. or space travel that will allow the intelligent among you to get off this prison-planet and allow the rest of you to spend eternity spying on each other for, "your own good"

crazy apes.

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This was unneccesary. It just gets more people killed.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What do we really know here ?
That a list of names is published online, and that list is 'apparently' of MI6 agents.

Does an analysis of the reported Foreign Office response help ?

The Foreign Office blasted the website as "extremely irresponsible".

So does this response credibility to the list or not ?

I guess they had two options:

Condemn it [as above] and therefore suggest that it is a valid list of live operatives, and that it's publication has very real potential for compromise activity... (err, perhaps that's especially in the minds of those whom you wished to regard it as a valid list).

Or do you just deny it out of hand as a load of old rubbish, and distance yourself from it in the media: I guess that too, could be seen as simply a way to cover up the fact that the list did in fact relate to actual operational agents, with all that entails ...

Hmm, complex for sure, and in truth I'm no nearer knowing what that list actually represents - it's a real list (in that it is a list), but a real list of what ? ...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i guess all this really teaches us is not to trust an english person who has 3 or more names in another country

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join