It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Taylor's Office Called Today...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I got an odd message on my answering machines this afternoon, it was a woman from Charles Taylor's Office and she said she wanted 'someone from our residence' to call them back and confirm our address, which she read out, and our internet address, something to do with collecting information on 'all the people'.
Why do they want my internet information? Isn't my ISP subscription provided by contract with a private company? Something about that call kinda wierded me out, but when I do call I intend to ask some questions of my own, what's up with that? I haven't called them back yet, but just out of curiosity have any of you guys received similar calls from any of your representatives' offices?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Congratulations, you're being phished.

They will come back with some sort of deal where you'll get money if you'll just deposit a bit for them and (by the way) give your bank account or social security number.

Call your ISP and alert them.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It was a phone call and the caller id said US Government, the number she left was sure enough Charles Taylor's office as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Have you by any chance written any letter to a government office and they may be getting back in touch with you?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I wrote an email once about a year ago complaining about a Dept. Of Transportation legislation, but I think that isn't going to be related as he responded in kind with an email and that was the last I heard about it. This has something to do with confirming our residency and our internet information. I'll write up a transcript of the message if you guys are interested, it gave me the willies and I wanted to see if anyone else was receiving similar calls before I called them back.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Congratulations, you're being phished.

yep that's what i was going to say.

as for the ID there are many freeware programs available that can customise your call signature, it's not very hard for a phreaker to get a your ID register to read US Government.

if it came from an actual government agency it would tell you either the agency, the specific number or have a privacy block, it wouldn't say US Government.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Then why would she leave a message to return the call to Charles Taylor's Office, and then give me Charles Taylor's Real Number to call them back at? Surely Ole Chuck's Secretary, or an employee of his office isn't Phishing me?
I'm pretty sure the call was legit.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
hey there, sorry for two posts in a row but I forgot to ask if you're talking about United States house of Representives Charles Taylor (North Carolina) or fromer Liberian president Charles Taylor?

That may prove signifigant, still sounds like a bogus phishing operation either way though.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm talking about House Representative, Congressman Charles Taylor. If it is a scam, they want me to call his real office number to make their contact.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well I would say check the phone number they left you. If it's representive Taylors number then I suppose it's legit but (and I'm not one to scream big brother) it seems a little creepy to me.

I have had a few shots of tequila though and that stuff always makes me paranoid.

Although, North Carolina is kind of near the hurricane states so maybe they're just looking for help. I mean I know your not right next door, but close enough.

Spiderj

top topics

join