It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would "Jesus" have said "Hurricane Katrina Victims Were Killed because they were Sinful?"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hi XanaX:

You seem to think the teaching of "Jesus" in the gospels makes him look ridiculous, and reading them carefully, perhaps you are right.

After all don't those very same gospels picture him trying to start a riot in the temple, and didn't he arm his disciples with swords on the hill waiting for 12 legions of Angels to somehow magically come and rescue him from the Romans on a Passover in AD 36 on the 100th anniversary of the Invasion of Pompey into Jerusalem (BC 63) when he thought the "Times of the Gentiles are fullfilled...the Kingdom is at hand...Repent and believe the Good News...and These be the Days of Vengeance of our god," and other such warlike jargon, etc.?

But look how that all turned out....

However, you seem surprised that R. Yehoshua would have thought people who died under bad conditions did so because of sin.

Perhaps you need to read Luke 13:1-5 again very carefully.

In this passage it seems that the writer of Luke's gospel (whoever he was) who put those Greek words into Iesous' mouth related what he considered to be his "teaching" that sinful behaviour of men results in their destruction, sooner or later (a major theme of the post-Exilic writings within the Old Testament, e.g. the book of Deuteronomy in the sections dealing with Blessings and Curses).

What R. Yehoshua bar Yosef ("Jeezuzz") seems to be implying, if Luke's Greek words are anything like a dim reflection of "Iesous'" actual teaching, is that if the Jews of Palestine did not repent soon, something worse than the Tower of Siloam collapse, or the slaughter of the Galileans under Pilate would occur to them...in otherwords, these things would be averted IF the general population in Eretz Yisrael to whom he preached would mend their ways.

Obviously "Luke" was writing after Rome destroyed Israel in AD 66-72 ("when you see Yerushalayim surrounded by armies" seems written after the event, and is different from Mark's earlier "when you see the Abomination of Desolation standing in the place where it must not stand...") and thus the image is one of the total destruction of Israel by Rome after the Jewish Revolt, in which (according to Josephus) more than 1/2 million people lost their lives.

Now I have to ask you again: knowing what he is supposed to have said in the Gospel of Luke, would "Iesous" have declared that the "sinful repuation" of ('the Big Easy') New Orleans or the prostitution and rampant gambling in the casions in southern MS had anything to do with what happened to those people?

Read Luke chapter 13:105 again, and let me know what you think now.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I prefer science it makes more sense.

You can certainly place your trust in science. That is the main question for humanity at this time, where will you place your faith/trust, and every individual must give their answer to it.

I will and am placing mine in Jesus Christ. That is where HOPE can be found. Science can't stop a hurricane, or tsunami, or tornado, or flood. They can't stop a nuclear bomb, science invented it.

This world is being bombarded with more and larger catastrophes. Man cannot stop them. We can try to clean up afterward and throw money at a problem but the U.S. is in debt up to it's eyeballs and it's being added to now by Hurricane Katrina.

What if a comet or asteroid heads for earth? Science can't stop that. These events are signs of a world that is falling apart. Man can't save himself.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Well, everyone has been warned of this type stuff happening for over 30 years now. Global warming causing stronger and more storms, carbon dioxide emissions the cause of.

25 years ago we were worried about global cooling, having witnessed global temperatures fall from 1940 to 1980 in the midst of massive urbanization and CO2 increases.

The history of CO2 levels changes by orders of magnitude if we believe ice cores, and life goes on. I'm not saying we can rule out man-caused global warming, I'm just saying the evidence of it is very week.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think this has happened probably to wake up people as to how the government really operates and how FEMA (that well respected will-save-you-all) operates.

God help us:shk:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I agree with you Dg our nation was not ready for a disaster like this, and to tell you the truth that means that we are not ready for another terrorist attack either.

You are right we need to start looking at the people that we have elected and start asking hard questions about our own security.

And that includes both sides of the political parties.

Yes prayer and faith feed the soul but it doesn't help to face the fact of what is going on with the lack of response in the south.

I want answers.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You are right we need to start looking at the people that we have elected and start asking hard questions about our own security.

The disaster in New Orleans was not caused by nature, but by the failures of men. We knew the levies would not withstand a hurricane of this magnitude, yet they had not been reinforced for decades. The response thus far has been weak as well, exacerbated by having thousands of National Guardsmen in the Persian Gulf rather than the Gulf of Mexico.

The government was in charge of the levies, but will bear only a fraction of the cost of the failure of the levies, and those in charge will bear no cost at all. This disaster is the result of putting people in charge who do not share the cost of failure nor the profits of success. They are not properly motivated.

Another election will not change this endless recipe for disaster.

As long as we leave our safety in the hands of government, we are not safe.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This reminds me of something that came up when a Hurricane hit a Caribean Island I was on.

They just had a large Gay convention/ organised holiday and all the religious people said it was the wrath of God.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

The disaster in New Orleans was not caused by nature, but by the failures of men. We knew the levies would not withstand a hurricane of this magnitude, yet they had not been reinforced for decades. The response thus far has been weak as well, exacerbated by having thousands of National Guardsmen in the Persian Gulf rather than the Gulf of Mexico.

The government was in charge of the levies, but will bear only a fraction of the cost of the failure of the levies, and those in charge will bear no cost at all. This disaster is the result of putting people in charge who do not share the cost of failure nor the profits of success. They are not properly motivated.

Another election will not change this endless recipe for disaster.

As long as we leave our safety in the hands of government, we are not safe.

I agree with spam here, its our fault to a large degree. For one thing, as he said, the levees were not high enough. I add that you really shouldnt be living there in the first place. Thats like living on the side of an active volcano in Hawaii. Its simply not a smart thing to do.

I dont believe that the Lord was judging them in particular. We are all pretty miserable sinners. Just because your forgiven doesnt make you righteous.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I agree with you Dg our nation was not ready for a disaster like this, and to tell you the truth that means that we are not ready for another terrorist attack either.

I agree witrh you marg we are not prepared for attacks or disasters.

I agree that leaders are responsible for getting to the arera hit and do something about getting help there. Remember they are also people like you and me. They are not supermen or Wonder Women. Disasters are exactly that a disaster. Normalcy is gone. When your whole life is in upheaval you want it to return quickly. That doesn't happen in a disaster that takes time.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

So why did He allow this one. To get people's attention and turn it toward Him for salvation. Also to let us see what happens in a world that rejects God will encounter. Also because we are getting closer to Christ's return and things are going to get worse and worse. He also has other reasons.

Quit trying to play GOD dbrant. Yes, you are right. Things will continue to get worse and worse. That is until GOD's children wake up and begin to understand the delicate nature and balance of our planet.

There were many GOD loving people down there. Your point is about as naked as the Old Testament.

GOD gave his children the ability to work out of things like this. Too many "Christians" doubt the power GOD gave man.

GOD does not go around killing his own. We are all part of him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join