It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish troops in northern Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The Swedish presence will reach a total of about 110 personnel, of whom 85 are now deployed.

At midnight, Great Britain transferred command of British forces at the military base at Mazar-i-Sharif from the US-led "Operation Enduring Freedom" to NATO. Immediately thereafter, Sweden transferred its troops to NATO.

This multinational force now belongs to the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, ISAF, established by a UN mandate and led by NATO. This means that Swedish forces assigned to northern Afghanistan can now begin operations there.

Among others, the Swedish rapid deployment platoon will begin joint exercises with British troops on Thursday, after which the Swedish unit is expected to be fully operative within two weeks. The platoon is assigned to a British company that shall be able to patrol and intervene in order to support other ISAF units throughout northern Afghanistan.

The Swedish unit in Mazar-i-Sharif consists of 12 men within a British-led Provincial Reconstruction Team, which totals 25 men in a security platoon as well as support personnel.

source

Whoa, looks like some on is trying to me matcho! Lol, either way its good newsm Afghanistan needs help.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by blue cell]

join