It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trust Us, We're the Government

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
John Asscroft on a road trip across the country to quiet fears of privacy invasion and loss of personal rights that WILL come with the passage of the new Victory Act (formerly known as Patriot II).

Now, when was the last time you placed your faith in a travelling side show freak?

Trust Us, We're the Government

Attorney General John Ashcroft has embarked on a bizarre promotional tour to counter growing public opposition to the Patriot Act. The administration clearly is worried by recent votes in Congress to limit the scope of the Act, votes that reflect the willingness of even GOP loyalists to buck the president on the issue. So Mr. Ashcroft is visiting several cities to give a stump speech that essentially says this: Trust us- we�re the government, and we say the Patriot Act does not threaten civil liberties.

But the attorney general misses the point. Government assurances are not good enough in a free society. The overwhelming burden must always be placed on government to justify any new encroachment on our liberty. Now that the emotions of September 11th have cooled, the American people are less willing to blindly accept terrorism as an excuse for expanding federal surveillance powers.

www.house.gov...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The whole damn mess of this administration continues to get more sickening every day.

No amount of rebranding of piles of crap can ever remove the stench.

While there is a growing resentment of this material that I feel amongst ATS members, there doesn't really seem to be a great deal of political activism beyond the commentary... anybody doing anything ACTIVE in a way that HURTS the administration, to stop the everyday erosion of rights (including, as well, your basic democratic right to have a vote accounted for accurately?)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
MA, as much as you complain from downunder, you would think that you had already accepted your adoption as the next US state to be administered by Mr. Asscroft...

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Doesn't quite affect me that way, but arselicker Howard's government is certainly using some of the strategies he's learned so well.

In the past couple of weeks he's wanted to regionalize the Pacific corner as his part of the NWO.

I prefer killing bacteria at their source, before they get a chance to spread! In a global village with such dangerous epidemics, be prepared to call any country your home and stick your nose into its politics at will!

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Hmm... Victory act, eh? After reading it, it seems to be geared toward "Narco-terrorism". Seems as though the war on drugs is part of the greater war on terrorism... but it doesn't appear to be PATRIOT II-- Regardless here are some interesting selections:

"The Government shall not be required to return property to a person who is incarcerated".

P. 47, lines 4-6

Section 505- Expanded Jurisdiction to issue order to intercept communications:

"...a judge of any district court of the United States (including a mgistrate judge of such court) or any United States court of appeals with jurisdiction over the offense being investigated..."

p. 87, lines 9-13

"...the term 'wireless' means the use of electromagnetic waves (rather than some form of wire) to carry a signal over a communication path"....

p. 87, lines 21-23

"or a device that employs wireless technology in part to transmit wire, oral, or electronic communications, the interception of which is authorized by a Federal court"

p. 87-8, lines 26-3

Source link: www.libertythink.com...

Note that SUSPICION of involvement seems to be enough...

American Civil Liberties Union staff attorney Jameel Jaffer added: "Absolutely nothing would prevent the attorney general from using these subpoenas to obtain the records of people who have no connection to terrorism, drug trafficking or crime of any sort."

abcnews.go.com...

[Edited on 3-9-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
By the way...

The disinformation site by the government includes the following disclaimer.. note they tell you this AFTER you're into the site..:

If you visit our site to read or download information, we collect and store the
following information about your visit:

- The name of the Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you are connecting from a university's domain) and the IP address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you are using the Internet) from which you access our site;

- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;

- The date and time you access our site;

- The Internet address of the Web site from which you linked directly to our site; and

- The pages you visit and the information you request.

This information is primarily collected for statistical analysis and technical improvements to the site. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which may be used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. In certain circumstances, however, we may take additional steps to identify you based on this information and we may share this information, including your identity, with other government agencies.

www.lifeandliberty.gov...

Inquire about the PATRIOT act at your own risk..

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Victory act? lol you got to love those names they come up with !

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Got to love the New World Order.... enjoy your freedoms, and enjoy the sight of them slipping away under your nose even more...

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 04:11 AM
link   
It'll be the biggest 'victory' once it gets accepted in. Total control with a smile. Why aren't you smiling about being controlled? Death!

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yeah visit that site, get your data collected. So they can keep tabs on who visits to research the unconstitutionality of the Patriot Act. That way, they can suspect you of being a terrorist and come and arrest you.

But since congress voted this piece of # in, why the hell aint they working now to vote it back out? Any bill can be repealed, cant it? So......why not start sending letters to your congress members and harass them to strike that bill back into oblivion?

The administration may not care what we have to say, but your local rep dont wanna piss off his constituants!

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Any and all of these acts and the people that create them need to be burnt in a huge ass fire. This # makes me so mad that the american people are accepting this BS with open arms saying yes let me bend over so the government can rape my bunghole.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I really dont trust or belive in those guys..

"sorry"

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   
As I said in the thread provided by MA, I will say again on this one:

America was/is the land of the 'free'.
If this is passed and not overturned....
America will become the land of the 'fearful'.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Would rather stay ignorant until something scares them stupid,and then that's another problem altogether which the government feeds on in the way we are witnessing right now.
There are people who will do something about it,I am in the process of getting involved myself.
A few peole from every state need to get involved in the legal systen as citizens,citizens can actually do more than officials or lawyers,they are not bound to a certain method of addressing the courts like those who are part of the system.
This "narco-psycho-cyber-googlyeyed terrorist " # give me the willies though,they are making everything interpretable as terrorism in one way or another,it is all becoming skewed and distorted,manipulable,dangerous.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have an idea. Let's lable John Asscroft a terroist. We can get it published in the national enquierer that John Asscroft is a terroist and that the Patriot Act supports terroism. People will believe someone is a terroist if they are labled one.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I have an idea. Let's lable John Asscroft a terroist. We can get it published in the national enquierer that John Asscroft is a terroist and that the Patriot Act supports terroism. People will believe someone is a terroist if they are labled one.

Sounds like a plan. Him and all those that support this should be labeled as terrorists that should be imprisoned/killed.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:20 PM
link   
God bless america - and you fought a war for liberty

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
With all this it's still hard for me to imagine that people still think Arab terrorists executed 9-11.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
With all this it's still hard for me to imagine that people still think Arab terrorists executed 9-11.

I dont.

I believe it was most likely Mossad operatives, (or possibly Saudi freelancers, most likely NOT knowing it was a suicide run, paid by the Mossad), operating at least with the knowledge of the US.

Just sit back and consider who gains what?

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 03:46 AM
link   
...Dragonrider, concerning your signature...

...Don't you think there may be a danger of *you* being labeled as a terrorist, simply because you asvertise your knowledge of explosives?...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join