It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline Rush around Atlanta area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is getting a little out of hand. All of the gas stations around the Atlanta metro area and surrounding counties are being flooded with customers trying to fill up on gas before a price hike. It has risen over 20cents in a few hours, and it is steadily rising. This is supposedly being caused by damages supply lines that have been shut down for repirs after the hurricane slammed the Gulf. People are backed up out of stations and blocking traffic, all while blowing horns and cussing. Some stations are gouging up to $3.56 per gallon from an earlier rate of $2.79. I realize that fuel is more expensive in the UK, but this is pretty bad for the southeastern US. Supposedly, the pumps will be shut down for 24-48 hours while repairs are being made, and then things will be back to normal, but this still doesn't justify the sharp, sudden rise in price. This is awful shady, even on terms of supply and demand.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yeah I saw it on FOX...crazy prices. Is this gouging or really a sign of major shortages? If it is a shortage this could have global consequences as the U.S. may need to import more crude oil and/or petroleum distillates.

Plus I think the refineries were just about to switch over from gasoline production to heating oil...if we have a bad winter, it could really exasperate the situation.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Gas started this morning at $2.39 and this afternoon is $3.13. A rumor started circulating around town (population 100,000) that the gas pumps would be shut off at 3pm. So a mad rush ensued to the pumps. Every station around town in backed up around every block....really an amazing site.....I own a car dealership....good thing I only sell small cars (i.e. hondas, acuras, lexus, toyota's).......I can't imagine someone in a expedition right now!!!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
True, but they try to comfort us with news of reserves, and comments that this will pass. They claim it is a consequence of the recent hurricane, but fuel prices were rising steadily before that. I see that this has been a constant up and down pattern since 9/11. But, as long as people require gas, they can charge whatever they want and get it. Is the general public just going to stop driving to work because of a price increase? No. Will employers pay us more for the constantly rising costs of living? No.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I work at a dealership in Alpharetta, and the rumor spread quickly here too. There was such a dash for the stations, that the news choppers were flying overhead and people were just going nuts over this. I can't believe how easily people can be spooked in the south. I also saw many yuppies and moms in SUVs and sports cars filling up. (by the way, what is the point of a Ford Excursion that has never left a paved road, and doesn't even have a trailer hitch? Sounds like a verrry useful, and practical vehicle to me!)

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is weird my daughter just call me to asked me what is going on, she is in Athens Georgia in college and she started to hear the students talking about something going on in Atlanta.

She wasn't sure what was all about but some were saying that it was no gas in some places.

I guess news can ge twisted sometimes.

Plus it was talks of a gas crisis, I told her just to save her gas and not to go around unless necessary.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I live in Chicago and gas yesterday was 2.78/gal. Today it is 3.48/gal. I am nowhere near L.A. so it isnt confined to just that area.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Im in Savannah GA and all afternoon rumours have been spreading of a fuel shortage and gas stations closing. On my way home from work the pumps were jam packed and que's were forming down the streets. It was announced on the local radio and news channels that this is nothing but a bad rumour that has got out of hand, none of the gas stations will be closing and there is no fuel shortage. The price here has risen to $3 a gallon but as im from the UK I really dont mind the costs to be honest, its still a dam sight better than at home. The gas stations now seem to be getting quieter as people realize this is just a bad rumour, the only problem with all these people panic buying fuel and trying to stockpile it themselves is that if a lot of people do this the gas stations will start to run out just like it happened in the UK a few years back during the fuel blockades. If people go about their normal buisiness and use the available fuel as they usually do im sure there will be enough for everyone at the pumps.

Regards,

Oakley

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I just tried to get gas at my local convenience store. NOT. I couldn't even get out of my street, so I turned around and went home. The cars were lined up all the way from the store to my street, unbelievably, (that's about 600 ft.), and there were two policemen controlling the traffic. Screw it. I'll wait till late tonight, of course by then there may not be any gas left. This in the north part of Atlanta, GA. I've never, ever seen this before.

I can't believe this crap. Things are not good.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I live in Charlotte, NC, and my husband just called to say he'd heard that the far west of this state, the Ashville area, was out of gas. Lines here are several hours long, and the "word on the street" is that Charlotte will be out of gas by midnight.

Does anyone else get the feeling that years from now when we're telling our grandkids all about the Second Great Depression that this could be the event we'll say really kick started it all?

jhh

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The good news is even though people are rushing to pumps, they wouldn't be burning anymore than usual. So even though there is a sharp increase in price, the demand will not exist for a couple days. Plus there should be a back up in supply.

Right now every governor needs to call a special session and suspend all taxes for at least a month. there also needs to be a 10 cent cap over the wholesale price, or there will be hell to pay.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just In Time For Labor Day

This is a good example of mass hysteria in action.

Disaster strikes, rumors spread, panic ensues.

My advice when people around you start losing their cool and running around in circles waving their arms in the air is to find someplace safe (i.e., away from crowds) and ride it out.

Witness what happened in Iraq: over 800 people killed in a stampede. Possibly more died on a single bridge than died in all of New Orleans.*

Fear is a dangerous thing in crowded conditions.

Best to avoid crowds, best to avoid fear, and best to remember that this too shall pass.

*Although I doubt it. I expect the dead to number in the thousands from Katrina and its aftermath.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsCGA
I live in Charlotte, NC, and my husband just called to say he'd heard that the far west of this state, the Ashville area, was out of gas. Lines here are several hours long, and the "word on the street" is that Charlotte will be out of gas by midnight.

Does anyone else get the feeling that years from now when we're telling our grandkids all about the Second Great Depression that this could be the event we'll say really kick started it all?

I live east of you in Richmond county and today the rumors were rampant about shortages of gas...the lines were starting to develop as I went home at 5pm. I too heard we would be out of gas at midnite...guess things will be interesting tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
People is nothing wrong with the gas but it will be if everybody rush to get gas, we have been targeted for higher prices.

If you have gas to get you by for a few days wait until the panic wears out.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Kind of like the great peanut butter shortage of 1978. Rumor was a shortage of peanut butter. People ran in droves to buy peanut butter to stockpile, thereby creating a shortage of ... You guessed it ... Peanut Butter. One of my ex-wife's cousins bought two cases of peanut butter to store in his basement... And he didn't even eat the stuff.

We are, as the Chinese say, living in interesting times.

jhh

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nice thing about owning a truck with a 34 gallon tank, and a car capable of going 34 mpg is I have at least 2 months worth of gas, provided no one steals it. The only question is, will I have reason to drive if this crap continues to get worse?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
My mother lives near Tuscaloosa AL, and she said they are being limited to $10.00 in gas at all stations. Gues the lucky people are the ones who own diesel vehicles.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Detroit is not fairing much better, tuesday night the gov was on TV saying that people should not rush out and fill there tanks up, or top it off. That same night me and my wife bolth went and filled up our tanks (she drives 60+ miles a day for worK) we paid 2.79 a gallon. Well tonight we where out and about and gas at the same place was 3.09 a galon. Thats well over a 40 cents hike in less then 24 hours.

The gov also said that there may be gas shortage in the next week.

This is not looking good at all.

Reminds me of that made for TV movie FX had on a few months ago. Peak Oil, Life after the crash. Which started with a major Cat 5 hitting the area it did over the week end.

Also 230 miles north of detroit, my aunt said regular gas was at 3.50 a gallon.

Zintac

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsCGA

No Rumor to it, WNC is in a genuine Gas Panick. Everybody started calling everybody and people rushed out to the pumps and waited in lines eight or nine cars deep as gas stations started running out left and right. We are pretty much out of gas, no #e. My wife said it was getting real edgey here at the pumps as well.

Apparently we aren't the only ones either...
Gas Rage

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Another family member in this area knows a gas station owner, and he kept his prices at the same $2.79 until their pumps were dry in all grades. He told him that the hikes were coming from the suppliers, which were currently about 80 deliveries behind in the area, which would take 4 to 5 days to catch up on. They say that two main supply lines have been shut down for repairs, and that there are several refineries and off shore rigs that have sustained moderate damage. I had no idea that this was affecting so many states. Earlier today, I thought it was just in the southeast. I've already seen approx. 8 or so gas stations in a twelve mile drive that were out of fuel entirely. If people are buying them out like this all over, it could take up to 10 days or more for the suppliers to restock stations.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by venom79x]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join