It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are any other country's even helping?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
a $10 check to the Red Cross doesn't really cut it with a crisis of this magnitude.

A $10.00 cheque to the Red Cross will cut it if we ALL get our cheque books out! Will you? I will. (Not directed at you personally, Whaaa - everybody).

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There's a little more information on the Canadian assistance that is being sent.

Canadian officials have started getting ready to send whatever type of aid the United States requires to help with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said Wednesday.

"We want to reassure the president and the people of the United States that we are their best friends and their neighbour, and we will be there to help them in a situation that truly is without parallel in our country or theirs," said McLellan.

"Yesterday, the Department of Human Health Services in the U.S. contacted our public health agency and asked for an inventory of emergency supplies that, if they need them, we could send at a moment's notice."

Canadian leaders, relief agencies stand by to help U.S. after Katrina

American officials are still assessing their needs, but in coming days Canada will be prepared to send everything from water purification systems to the Canadian military's Disaster Assistance Response Team.

Canadian Red Cross volunteers are going to be coming down:

"If you look at the impact of hurricane Katrina, we'll be sending well over 100 Canadian Red Cross workers in the coming weeks," Charest said from Ottawa.

Most of the volunteers will help spell off exhausted American relief workers in the coming months, she said. The Canadians will put in three weeks of gruelling, emotionally draining work that could see them huddling in shelters in sleeping bags along with those left homeless.

"They'll be interviewing families to see what kind of resources they need. Maybe they've lost their house, they need clean-up kits, they need financial support, they can't work."

And even the Mennonites are pitching in:

A spokeswoman for Mennonite Disaster Service in Winnipeg said its sister agency in the U.S. is sending three or four investigators to Mississippi where they hope to set up a base camp for volunteers to help rebuild homes.

More than 500 Canadian Mennonites may eventually be sent to the U.S., said Lois Nickel of the church-based relief organization.

The Heavy Urban Search and Rescue team from my province is on their way to LA to help. This team was also sent to south-east Asia after the big tsunami.

Heavy USAR is the location of trapped persons in collapsed structures and other entrapments using canine teams and electronic search equipment; the work to breach, shore, lift and remove structural components; the use of heavy construction equipment to remove debris and the medical treatment and transfer of victims. USAR is a general term for the technical continuum of search and rescue capabilities.

There is also a group of Ontario Hydro workers that are travelling to the US to help restore the power.

I feel pretty confident in saying this is just the start of what the Canadians will be sending to help you out.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm wondering if France is offering anything...New Orleans is a former French city and has a lot of French cajuns in it...will they show any concern?

French humanitarian aid officials met on Thursday to examine ways of providing support for victims of Hurricane Katrina in the United States, a French Foreign Ministry spokesman said. France is considering ways of mobilizing relief teams from the French Antilles in the Caribbean, ministry spokesman Denis Simonneau said at a news conference.

France May Mobilize Relief From Caribbean

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Russia offers help to U.S. after Hurricane Katrina

en.rian.ru...
en.rian.ru...

U.S. declines offer of Russian rescue plane for hurricane hit areas
en.rian.ru...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'm sure more than enough money was donated to the tsunami relief to rebuilld that part of the world and the gulf coast good as new, shelter and feed everybody, with funds to spare. Where did it all go?????

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This really is a disaster of epic proportions and really because of the chaos the situation is still being assessed.

I think we'll all be pleasantly suprised to see how much the international community comes to our aid, this sort of thing really kind of knocks politics out of the equation, it's about humanity now and I think we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of help from the rest of the world.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Many countries have offered assistance. I think though we are still at a stage where assistance coming in will not be best allocated, we're still in the "assessment" stage right now. Rest assured, the international community will help. Remember, with the Asian Tsunami people offered to help but it was at least a week or more before the international community was able to put relief workers on the ground in significant numbers. We should be less concerned about international aid in this case though, as unlike many of the regions affected in the tsunami, we in the US actually have considerable resources to assist and rebuild already in our own country.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
german government has offered help too

www.alertnet.org...
www.wpherald.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

European nations are offering to provide oil to the United States from their strategic reserves to offset shortages in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, an EU official said Friday.

Separately, the EU executive Commission in Brussels said it has offered disaster help to U.S. authorities trying to cope with the damage caused by the storm, which lashed New Orleans and coastal towns in Mississippi, causing massive flooding.

Speaking on Britain's Sky News network, EU security affairs chief Javier Solana said the U.S. administration has approached several EU member states individually for help. "Whatever they ask for, it will be given from the reserves of oil that the different (EU) countries are providing," he said.

Solana did not say if the offers by individual European governments involved supplies of crude or refined oil products, such as gasoline.

In Berlin, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said the United States has asked member states of the International Energy Agency to provide oil and that Germany would "of course" support Washington.

British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, chairing an EU foreign ministers meeting, said the EU as a whole would play no role in supplying emergency deliveries of oil, but added, "There might be other assistance that can be offered."

Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast and shut down around 90 percent of crude production capacity in a region that is responsible for around 30 percent of U.S. crude output.

The International Energy Agency, a Paris-based oil market watchdog that includes 17 of the 25 EU states, said it is consulting with members on tapping their strategic reserves.

continue

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
CNN are reporting offers are pouring in.

I am looking for a list of countries and their pledges as it was quite impressive but haven't found one yet. Will post when I find it.

What I found so heartwarming was that some of the small countries pledged money too and you know a lot of them don't have much.

Venezuela pledged fuel.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I must say I'm impressed and a bit surprised by the outpouring of international aid offers

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yes it really is nice to read. Especially this one from Sri Lanka:

Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga said she and her fellow citizens felt solidarity with those affected.

"Having experienced the fury of nature ourselves during the December 26 tsunami, the people of Sri Lanka and I fully empathize with you at this hour of national grief," she said in a message to the U.S.

And while the small island nation is still recovering from the tsunami disaster, it also pledged $25,000 to the American Red Cross, the AP reported.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
We (The Netherlands) have send a navy frigate for medical and humanitarian aid. It set sail this morning, and should arrive in a few days, it was stationed at Curaçao in the carribbean.
The Dutch government hasn't got an official request, but they send the ship anyway.
They also offered F-16s, equipped with sophisticated photographic pods, to map the area; specialized disaster identification teams to ID bodies; pumps for drinking water, and dikes and water management experts.

They're all waiting for the green light by the White House...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Take it under consideration that those countries that help also help their future consumer base for their marketable products. Rich or poor compassion holds no bounds, but the ego holds many illusions.

Karma: If we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil. If we sow hate and apathy....

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
We (The Netherlands) have send a navy frigate for medical and humanitarian aid. It set sail this morning, and should arrive in a few days, it was stationed at Curaçao in the carribbean.
The Dutch government hasn't got an official request, but they send the ship anyway.
They also offered F-16s, equipped with sophisticated photographic pods, to map the area; specialized disaster identification teams to ID bodies; pumps for drinking water, and dikes and water management experts.

They're all waiting for the green light by the White House...

I applaud the Dutch government

I think we'll need some help from you guys in rebuilding the city too, you are the experts in living below sea level

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Presidente of Mexico has offered help if it will be taken and President Chavez was just on saying he will offer the US the aid of his military brigade. Somehow I don't think this offer will be accepted.
Just a feeling I have...

UN is asking other countries to offer support in this time of need.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I applaud the Dutch government

I think we'll need some help from you guys in rebuilding the city too, you are the experts in living below sea level

We should send some delicious Dutch Cannabis as well, I understand the lack of drugs is what causing the anarchy

To me, its so unbelievable to see such an important dike fail, protecting a major US city. More than half our country is below sea-level, and thus protected by dikes. It really isnt that costly and difficult to build good dikes.
What we did in Holland was far more complex, the "Delta Works" now protect us from the sea (so not just a lake or a river): en.wikipedia.org...

I hope our experts will be accepted (I'm sure they will, wont they??!!), they are most likely the best in the world.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
The day after the tsunami the united states was accused of being stengy by other country's despite all the aid the united states gave to the victims. Now we have been hit with a hurricane that completely wiped out one of our city's and I have yet to hear anyone lend out any support or help for us.

The day of the tsunami there were prayer services all around th world and there was moral support by other countries and yet there hasn't seemed to be much of a reaction to what happened to New Orleans, which is almost just as devastating.

I do not mean for this to be politically baited but if were stengy how come no one is helping us, our nation can provide basic services but cannot rebuild homes, schools and hospitals. Not to mention some assistance rescuing people would be nice because with the man power we have it can take days or weeks to help ever one get to dryer ground.

I cannot not say no ones been lending any help because I'm sure some were along the line there has been some help but were is it who is it and is there any at all?

If i could grow you a brain i would, i honestley would but i cant.
Im only human.....

Im sorry but that are the facts.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The US a superpower!??give me a break...

This is a Pethetic show.... America is giving a poor example to the rest of the world, Pathetic all i can say.

May god bless the poor community of the US cause not even their own government cares about them.....

This is gonna have a tremendous tail...

BUsh your karma is bi.ting u in the arse ......

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join