It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are any other country's even helping?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The day after the tsunami the united states was accused of being stengy by other country's despite all the aid the united states gave to the victims. Now we have been hit with a hurricane that completely wiped out one of our city's and I have yet to hear anyone lend out any support or help for us.

The day of the tsunami there were prayer services all around th world and there was moral support by other countries and yet there hasn't seemed to be much of a reaction to what happened to New Orleans, which is almost just as devastating.

I do not mean for this to be politically baited but if were stengy how come no one is helping us, our nation can provide basic services but cannot rebuild homes, schools and hospitals. Not to mention some assistance rescuing people would be nice because with the man power we have it can take days or weeks to help ever one get to dryer ground.

I cannot not say no ones been lending any help because I'm sure some were along the line there has been some help but were is it who is it and is there any at all?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
There's a big difference between a rich superpower that has the means and money to help itself, and the countries that were effected by the tsunami.

I don't think too many people have any sympathy for Amerika right now anyway. Do you blaim them? I don't.
I mean the U.S. IS the self proclaimed saviour of the World, no?

That would be like a millionair saying, "Hey, I helped the poor and homeless, where is my help?"

I don't mean any disrespect to the victims, but c'mon your whining is out of order IMHO.

BTW what is stengy? do you mean stingy?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
But the UK has offered...

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
There's a big difference between a rich superpower that has the means and money to help itself, and the countries that were effected by the tsunami.

I don't think too many people have any sympathy for Amerika right now anyway. Do you blaim them? I don't.
I mean the U.S. IS the self proclaimed saviour of the World, no?

That would be like a millionair saying, "Hey, I helped the poor and homeless, where is my help?"

I don't mean any disrespect to the victims, but c'mon your whining is out of order IMHO.

BTW what is stengy? do you mean stingy?

Stengy, I knew I misspelled it my spell checker didn't pick it up so i figured what the hey ... (there is no need to insult me over that)

Also I already said we can get basic support to people in need but its not going to rebuild the damage that has been done to that area. Families have lost everything and our government cannot give them everything they need to rebuild. No one government can. It depends on the people and how much they give back.

I was also not whining about this I was just wondering if there has been any help, and stating my frustration.

another point is it is a fact we have been the most generous nation, there is no self proclamation's about that. We are also one of the wealthiest countries so it also makes sense.

People have to understand that the people in New Orleans need help just as much as the people from the tsunami and you cannot stereo type the united states of being all rich and being able to help there selfs. They may be able to help a little bit and provide temporary relief but ultimately its going to take generosity to rebuild communities.

The government doesn't need the money, its the red cross that needs it. Its also more of a need for man power than money.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by iksmodnad]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The United States is a rich country and probably doesn't need any assistance, but I think it'd be a nice gesture for other countries to at least offer a token amount of money or resources, since this is truly a major disaster of global proportions.

[edit on 8/31/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think you'll find countries are offering aid.

Check worldwatcher's posts for more details in the other threads.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I believe Venezuela has offered assistance. I would be very surprised if the US takes them up on the offer.

Venezuela willing to help the needy Americans from hurricane Katrina.

Also, us Canadians are just waiting to find out what you need from us.

Canadian leaders are offering to send help to the United States in the aftermath of the devastation wrought by hurricane Katrina.

Ontario is looking into whether its medical and search-rescue personnel can help.

And Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, who has said Canadian health authorities have offered to send emergency medical supplies, was scheduled to discuss Canada's role in the hurricane aftermath in Edmonton later Wednesday.

www.macleans.ca

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I heard about Venezuela on the news and that was a shock, Its very good to see other countries offering help, I just wanted to see if there were any and from the looks of it there are many.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm wondering if France is offering anything...New Orleans is a former French city and has a lot of French cajuns in it...will they show any concern?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
Stengy, I knew I misspelled it my spell checker didn't pick it up so i figured what the hey ... (there is no need to insult me over that)

Well, sorry if that comment insulted you
But as an Englishman one of my pet pieves is the misuse and bad spelling of my language. Especialy by Americans

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

one of my pet pieves

If you're going to attack someone for misspellings, at least spell properly yourself...it's peeves

edit

and btw millionair is spelled millionaire...

[edit on 8/31/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
ok lets get of the topic of spelling and on to the topic at hand please.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

one of my pet pieves

If you're going to attack someone for misspellings, at least spell properly yourself...it's peeves
and btw millionair is spelled millionaire...

Thanx for pointing that out, did you notice the

I was just kidding right from the start, I thought speeeeling stingy stengy, was funny and the thread kinda silly. If you notice I said MY language, so I can spell how I want and so can you.
I gess my Englesh dry sarcastik cense of humour doesn't cum acros wel in writen form. Pls note----

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm wondering if France is offering anything...New Orleans is a former French city and has a lot of French cajuns in it...will they show any concern?

Chirac has been in contact with Bush according to some reports I read, but there was nothing mentioned about assistance. I'm sure we will hear more about aid offered in the next few days.

I think that probably the only ones you can count out for help/well wishes are some islamic extremists. Saudi Arabia has kindly offered to produce more oil for you to buy.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It's a bit sad that people are turning a natural disaster like this into a contest about who is or isn't sending aid to help. We should all be sending whatever we can, if we can - regardless.

Yes the US is the biggest, best and most wealthy nation on earth, but try telling that to the hundreds, if not thousands, who have died in the last couple of days, and to the tens and tens of thousands who are homeless right now.

Whether or not you are the 'big cheese' in the world, no one can expect any nation to deal immediately with the sort of devastation we are seeing. The fact is that if any nation can offer help, it should do so - not to score points, or to slap itself on the back - just because it's the right thing to do.

It's too easy to think we are all small fish in a big pond, but at times like this it needs us all to stand up and be counted as one nation/race/planet or whatever you like, and do what needs to be done.

From my point of view, America is always there for other nations when disaster strikes. Yes, we rant and rave with US policies, yes most of us don't like Bush, and yes, some Brits like me look back and wish for the days when we were as big and brave as the US is now, but it's all boll*cks!

Good people need help, and they need it now - who cares where the help comes from?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well said
I saw people who have lost everything in new orleans on the news, even the news anchor was crying
it was pretty sad.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
WhoRU you make a very good point... We should be tending to those that were immediately affected and act to this as one. Its not only good for the situation but good for peace.

I didn't have the intent on saying "Hey were is the rest of the world we help all of you and you can give a crap about us even though we donate soooo much money"

I just wanted to know if there was any unity or bounding between countries, I threw my frustration into the mix about the being called "Stingy" part. That is something I feel is pretty reasonable to be confused over.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yeah, been watching too. It must be hell in New Orleans right now. I saw the pictures of the (Football?) Dome and they said most people needed immediate medical help, there is no water/food and no Air-Con. The roof looks pretty bad from the outside - can't imagine the conditions inside

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yeah, been watching too. It must be hell in New Orleans right now. I saw the pictures of the (Football?) Dome and they said most people needed immediate medical help, there is no water/food and no Air-Con. The roof looks pretty bad from the outside - can't imagine the conditions inside

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoRU
It's a bit sad that people are turning a natural disaster like this into a contest about who is or isn't sending aid to help. We should all be sending whatever we can, if we can - regardless.
Good people need help, and they need it now - who cares where the help comes from?

WhoRU shows great insight!!

I find it astonishing that some people whine about "who's helping us" when they themselves aren't doin a damn thing. Writing a $10 check to the Red Cross doesn't really cut it with a crisis of this magnitude. We are going to have to come up more than just a "feel Good" contribution. The scope of this disaster and it's implications will boggle the mind in a few days. Take some personal responsibility and roll up your sleeves and quit whinning. Please!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join