It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Yahoo News showing Racial Bias?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Caption:

"Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store after Hurricane Katrina came through the area in New Orleans, Louisiana.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen) "

Caption
" young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a grocery store in New Orleans on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. Flood waters continue to rise in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina did extensive damage when it made landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

They are different wires, but is it just me that finds the thought of devasted people scrambling for provisions being judged via race, reprehensible?

news.yahoo.com...

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
As you said yourself, they're from different wires. One is from the Associated Press (AP) while the other is from Agence Française de Presse (AFP.) To use the picture they were given they have to use tha caption they were given, it's as simple as that. So no, Yahoo is not showing any racial bias.

EDIT: If anything, AP is showing sympathy by saying that these people are taking food to survive. Opposite of that is AFP, which is showing it for what it really is: looting.

[edit on 8/31/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If the sources are the reason in the difrence its a shame. Its a shame regardless.

I can see the in picture the diffrence in looting to survive and looting in greed. Maybe the young man has a big family to feed we dont know. I would say no he is looting out of greed. The other two only took what they needed. Me for one would steal to eat.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ain't the chick in the first photo black?

You could only talk about bias if the second photo was picked because of the man's race. What other photos did they reject? Without that, there isn't much to talk about.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Latain I think, dark white. Slim chance of her being mixed, black and white.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
All I have to say is the dude/chick in the second picture seriously needs a haircut

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I certainly would "loot" to provide for my family. And I'd probably leave an IOU that I'd make good on once the ATM's were back in order.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yahoo has fact checkers more so than just bot filters, so I'm sure the same eyes or eyes from the same dept. viewed these submissions before a royalty was paid.
Who knows.....one went to lengths to say food was "found" at a grocery store ( new spare tires or an outboard for the rowboat would be a find there, not groceries, they went there to TAKE food!)
The other was lazy, though maybe grammatically correct, and infered the negative connotation to someone just making sure they survive.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I don't think anyone could blame someone for breaking into a grocery store and taking whatever food/water is left at this point...but there is obviously criminal looting going on, no one needs to steal a cart full of microwaves or sneakers.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here is an image I created of the two images.

top topics

join